Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I was shooting PSE STL Hunter 300 Radial X Weave arrows with 4" Quick Spins and 100gr Thunderheads with EZE-Crest on a PSE Carrera at 65# at 85% letoff and a NAP Quick Tune with no problems at all. I switched to Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 using the same setup EXCEPT 2.25" Quick Spins. Nothing else has changed. The problem I am having is my new arrows are corkscrewing and hitting at odd angles at 20 yards. I have checked my straightness and that is fine and the B/H's seem to be spinning right. What am I missing? Why are my arrows flying so far off? When I shoot them with field tips, my impact points are very different. For the most part, I am still hitting groups with arrows stacked ontop of each other. They open a bit with the B/H's.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Try turning the knock on the arrows and see if that doesn't help. Same thing happened to me. Just kept turning the knock untill my arrows were flying right.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
lighter vanes changed your arrow spine...made them weaker...

what lengths were the 2 different arrows? are they different?
anything else change at all?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Those THeads are tough to stabilize. It sounds like your 2.25 qspins are not getting the job done for you....toss 'em or go with a different head.

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
toss the 2.25's,really !they are to short to do the job as you found out.Was never a big fan of the qspins but if the 4" was working for then by all means use them.99% of all fixed blades need some good stabilization(helical ) on the rear end.Maybe try a good 4"vane or feather set at a good helical and see what happens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you tune your ThunderHeads? I work at a proshop and the problem I see with a lot of people is not spinning the heads, that plus the 2.5" quickspins can destabilize the arrows a lot.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Same here

I had the same problem last season. I finally went through the whole dozen and found 4 or 5 that flew the same and used them. I never did find out what the problem was because this year I bought a dozen Maxima Hunters and they are awesome. I can't believe how my groups have tightened up just by changing arrows.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Oh yeah..... I turned those nocks on the arrows until my fingers were sore and even that didn't work. If you do a search for goldtip, it seems like they aren't as good as I use to think they were. I'm not in any way saying they're junk.... just think that there's better out there.

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
funny how the rumor "junk" runs on anything.I just bought 2 dozen Goldtips xt hunters.I had ONE out of the first dozen that didn't group with the rest,ZERO out of the 2nd dozen.You won't find a better arrow out there.ANY quality arrow will group,Not all bows or shooters will shoot as good as their arrows.they try the gimmicky fletching, wrong size fletching,fletched wrong,to weak of a spine, to strong of a spine,cut to length on a table saw when the real truth is it was really those dang Barracuda stings on the bowtec limbs using elite cams that was the cause of the bad flight

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I had the same problem until I started squaring both ends of my arrows with the G5 arrow squaring tool. Since I rarely have arrows that are fliers even with broadheads. I had one last week and after inspection I had cut the vane while shooting.. Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts