Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a new dozen gold tip xt hunter 5575's 3 weeks ago and ive already got 4 of them cracking on the nock side .anywhere from a 1/16 to a 1/2 in . cracks!all im shooting at is field point target,has this happened to anyone else?they cost to much to be buying a dozen every month .whats the deal?

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Are you shooting groups and hitting nocks? If so then you'll get the same results from any carbon arrow. What I usually do is install Easton CB bushings and use G-Nocks. You could also try Gold Tip's pin nock system.

Basically in either case you are installing an aluminum insert at the nock end which protects that end from idiots (like me) that think group shooting is cool.

I just robin hooded a Pro 22 last night.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They really are tough. The pin nocks are great. They save you a lot of money on arrows, you will spend some money on nocks if you keep grouping though. Also try cutting you arrow from both ends. The way arrows are made they are put on spindle sort of thing that has a tapper so that when the arrow is done and has gone though the entire cooking and setting process they can get it off the spindle. If you cut of the back 1/2 inch and then insert your pin nocks, they will fit a little tighter, you will have a thinker wall at the back of the arrow that can with stand some noc-noc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
what is your bow #s

what is your draw length and arrow length and tip wt?

Gold tips are great arrows.

I prefer the GTs but shoot a 7595 arrow with a 70# bow

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my weight is 70 lb.
draw 29"
length of arrows 27.5" with 100 grain fieldpoints

this problem isn't from group shooting either ,i love the way they preform but dont like the cracking factor

·
Registered
54 Posts
gold tips are not tough as nails!

Three weeks ago this Saturday I was shooting my bow in my yard when the strength of gold tip arrows was revealed to me quite clearly. I had bought some Bemans to test the grouping against my GT's. I flex checked all of the arrows and began to shoot. I shot the Bemans first and they did fine. I knocked a GT and shot it and it was fine, but the next one shattered in two places when I released it and about ten inches of the back of the arrow shot into my forearm and lodged up at the back of my wrist. I spent twelve hours in th E.R. and will have surgery to repair tendons and muscle tissue in a few weeks. Last week a young man from the same town had a GT shatter and shoot into his hand and they are still removing carbon from his hand. I won't ever believe in Gold Tip arrows again

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Davis sorry to hear about your accident! I just find it hard to believe you flexed all arrows and 1 just exploded after it was shot! are you sure that the spine was right on the exploding arrow? I have hammered thes arrows and have had no problems!

Now grouping and slapping the nocks, I had some carbon force crack due to that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have never shot them. But the guys at the pro shop where we shoot buys them and plays arrow tag with them. In other words they only use them as tear up arrows. Can't comment on how tough they are since we have never shot them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I only had three GT's and flexed them all, the reason only one broke is because only one was defective. They were sued last year for the same exact thing and lost, I'm sure they don't go around telling everyone that though. It splintered just like mine did and just like the other young man's I mentioned.The only proof you need would to be to see my arm, but you can believe whatever you like. If they are making these things in Mexico now there's no telling what's going on. I'm pretty sure if one shot through you're arm and ruined your season you would feel the same. I have bowhunted all my life and I always flex check all of my arrows.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yeah in case you didnt know, carbon fibers can bend and not break. I have some ultralight 22s, which turn out arent spined correctly, and they shot terrible. Now i cant blame this one miss on spining, as i over judged yardage, but i hit the tree behind the deer target. when we got it out, the back end of the glue in tip had actually bent the carbon fiber shaft. the arrow was strait and then went down to the tip and bent sideways. that has NEVER EVER happened before to me.

I have two words for you:

hell easton.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Last week a young man from the same town had a GT shatter and shoot into his hand and they are still removing carbon from his hand. I won't ever believe in Gold Tip arrows again
thats wild !! last week i was pulling fiber out of my hand ! GT 22 don't know why or how but i wol'nt take a chance again.
carbon express my new arrows !

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I have been shooting gold tip arrows for years and thankfully with no problems. I posted a thread on this site, but got taken off because that site had some adult content not suitable for kids. I saw what that looks like
(not pretty), and that wasn't a GT. So, I think it can happen with any carbon arrow you decide to shoot. I hope you recover well. :sad:

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
i seen that picture ! my shop has it on the counter thats the first thing i thought of when mine happen ! i keep my eyes closed & peeked @ my hand ! it could of been worse then what it was. your correct it could of been any carbon arrow i made it sound like it was GT. fault i don't know why it happen don't really care either ! im just hopeing the cross weave fibers in CX makes the arrow stronger.
I also beleive that spine gets very weak after thousands of shots I think that makes carbon weak after awhile & leads to arrows breaking.JMO. (thats what i told my wife when she got mad about $115.00 a dozen arrows ! i said see the blood if you would of let me get new arrows this would'nt of happen!!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
102 Posts
i wont stop shooting them till i break one

ive shot 2 into 3/4in plywood and got em back fine every time nover had a singl 1 break and i swear by em

1 - 15 of 15 Posts