Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of ordering some tripple X shafts for indoors. For those that are currently shooting them...how are they working out? Are you leaving them full length to break them down enough? (I know they're stiff) Also, What are you fletching them with and how much weight are you putting up front? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
arrows

im shooting them in 3d and love them the only thing is that if you cut them off make sure that you cut both ends not just one that is where people mess up the wiggle from an arrow comes from one end or the other so if you order arrows with .003 after you cut both ends you end up with .001 in str8ness as for the vanes im shooting a 1.5 inch on mine and they fly great

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I bought some flecthed them with aae max hunter vanes and left them full lenth with 150 gr. points and shot a 58 x 300 monday night .

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering some tripple X shafts for indoors. For those that are currently shooting them...how are they working out? Are you leaving them full length to break them down enough? (I know they're stiff) Also, What are you fletching them with and how much weight are you putting up front? Thanks for the info.
I started out long...31" with 250 grain points...and that was against the advice given to me from Tim Gillingham.

The arrows would not shoot for beans with that configuration!

I cut them to 30"...same thing; wouldn't shoot.

I then decided to take Tim Gillingham's advice and cut them down to around 3/4" in front of the launcher blade and put in 150 grain points. They are fletched up with 3" Helical Gateway feathers. I cut three of them down this short and the 150 grain points and shot on the Vegas face. To my astonishment, the arrows fly great and they are forgiving.

I should have listened to Gillingham right from the beginning and saved myself some trouble.

I have lent them out to several other shooters, and ALL of them had success with the SHORT LENGTH and 150 grain points configuration of my arrows. One of them is a lady that couldn't get "logs" to fly out of her 45# bow and short DL. She, too, is now a believer that SHORT XXX's with lighter point weights will work just fine.

I wouldn't even consider an aluminum log, nor will I consider super heavy points in any fat shaft either. Why should I shoot a 600-700 grain arrow with 300+ grains up front that is as long as a telephone pole when I can shoot a short 27 diameter arrow, with light point weight that weighs in at only 430 grains?

My AMO drawlength is 27 1/2", my peak weight is 47#, holding 21 pounds out of my new Merlin Excalibur. Life is good, too...223 fps out of that configuration and bow weight/DL combination with hose 430 grain XXX arrows.

By the way, you could load those things up with 500 grains in the nose, and you aren't going to get them to "break down" in spine.....hehehehe.

field14 (Tom D.)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I shoot them for 3d and spots for 3d they are cut to about 27 with blazer vanes and 35 grain glue in points. For spots I put in 150 grain points and they shoot great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts