Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I already have a dozen GoldTip arrows and i picked up a few on discount to do a test.

Well heres the set-up,,

20 yards,, cement wall. 20 yards plywood

Bow:Buckmasters BTR 32
29" Draw
29" Arrow
75 Grain tip
60# Draw weight

1 Arrow into the plywood was not damaged. The fletchings took a little damage but the arrow came out fine.

The second arrow drilled the cement and was totalled. The insert got pushed about an inch back into the shaft.

I'm glad these weren't my good arrows,, nor was it a very good test but now i know to be careful at shoots with solid objects like rocks and such behind hard targets.

·
Registered
437 Posts
So, you wouldn't recommend these arrows? What arrow shaft would you recommend for hunting? I was thinking about buying some of these gold tips that I here so much about.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
What arrow do you suggest for hunting concrete walls? I don't expect an arrow to hold up if I screw up and centerpunch a tree not to mention a concrete wall. All that energy the arrow is carrying has to go somewhere.

·
Registered
247 Posts
HERE IS YOUR SIGN

Rocket science should be your next step, I don't think GT would tell you to use their shafts for attempting to kill a concrete wall. Plywood is another dangerous item we should all watch for.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
HighBow said:
HERE IS YOUR SIGN!

Rocket science should be your next step, I don't think GT would tell you to use their shafts for attempting to kill a concrete wall. Plywood is another dangerous item we should all watch for.
Forgot about the SIGN, that's funny :D ! Rocket science was good too :thumbs_up ! Maybe we need " Don't try this at home!" on arrow shafts.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Shafts

Dang.I shoot G/T shafts. I hope this year I dont get those same 6 cinder blocks cross my path again. They always came through with a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on their backs to.......... So I guess I should let them walk then?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Darien Outdoors said:
Dang.I shoot G/T shafts. I hope this year I dont get those same 6 cinder blocks cross my path again. They always came through with a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on their backs to.......... So I guess I should let them walk then?
Only if you want to save those junk arrows that don't even penetrate :rolleyes: :wink: ! I'ld be afraid to use anything that fragile even on chipmunks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Did you check the yardage with a laser range finder? Are you sure it was twenty yards? I would expect catastrophic damage at 19 yards, but 20 should have been no damage. That is wierd. I have three concrete blocks on my wall that were taken with Gold tips. I trust them. Might have been a previouly damaged arrow. Any chance you were using the as chop stix and bit one?

Strange stuff. Thanks for the info.

Dayton

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Gold tips are great arrows. Most arrows will not hold up to that. No surprise here. GT has never claimed these arrows will survive such abuse.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I seen a deer with a cement vest on. I had gold tip arrows so I didn't shoot it. Good thing the next deer had a plywood vest on. I'm glad you gave me your test results, to bad the deer can read too.

Over the years I have shot several carbon arrows. Last year I got some Gold Tip arrows. They are tough and group well. Gold Tip arrows are second to none and just might be the best arrows built.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I read on GTs website, they recommend first treating the cement wall with a sledge hammer. You have to hit each block a couple of times with the sledge before shooting. You should read the instructions before you use the product.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
When my grand-dad and father gave me my first pocket knives and sets of tools they always said the same thing: "Use a tool for what it is meant and it will last you several lifetimes". GT arrows will do all they are meant to do, as will most all carbon arrows on the market.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
So I shouldn't be using my bow as an anchor for my boat in the off-season?

Very interesting.

But I can still use my facemask as a dish rag right?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I've shot a GT through a 4x4 wood post (not on purpose) and it was fine.
I've also shot one 3 inches into a tree, after going through a boar, that was also fine altough the broadhead is still in the tree.

The prestige of the trophy cinder wall hanging in your den, which should make you the envy of all your hunting buddies, should be worth the cost of one GT shaft.

I also don't think you mentioned what braodhead you were shooting.
Probably an mechanical since you didn't get a complete passthrough :wink:

·
Registered
731 Posts
What'cha doin', testin' broadheads?

SHhh, nah, huntin brick walls....heres your sign!

Too funny.....I hope he was kidding though!

Ply wood is an ok test, because thats not much different than bone. My arrows and BHs hold up to plywood, but concrete! Forget it. Thats just a waste of a good arrow.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Dear BuckMaster,

After reading your latest post concerning the failure of GT arrows to penetrate the body of the tough and elusive critter know as Hardimous Concretimus, I have decided not to pursue that species with my GT arrows.

It is with much gratitude that I thank you for saving me from such a similar disapointment. I would offer to you that it may be in your best interest to pursue such game with a more conventional weapon such as a uranium tipped Howitzer. This should provide the desired effect. In the interim, I would be happy to take the balance of the GT shafts in your possession off you hands. This due to the fact that I will only be utilizing the shafts for their intended purpose, To kill ANIMALS! :D DUH!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Gold Tip needs to clearly label each shaft with a disclaimer;
"WARNING!" These shafts may not effectively and cleanly kill cement blocks!"

I wonder how long it will be before someone trys to jump there pickup truck with boat attached, over a ramp like the commercial on TV. You know its going to happen.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts