Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed comments that Gold Tips have inconsistant spine.
I have been told that they will shoot good for 30 days and then they will go down hill. All of this is suspect to me. I have a set of Ultra Lite Pro 600s and I have checked them for straightness and they are all very straight. Weight of the shafts is also consistant. I have no way to check spine so my question to other Gold Tip users is, have you encountered problems with inconsistant spine or is this just a smear campain against Gold Tip?
Thanks,
Jbird

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
J,

I myself have found Goldtips to be one of the most consistant arrows when it comes to spine. I have some x-cutters that I have shot thousands of times and they are still as consistant as they were the first day I used them. I know this would not have been the case with aluminums. My $.02 :cool:

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon

I appreciate your input on this. It seems to me that when a really good arrow comes on the market that there is an effort to discredit it. A good example of that is the CT McKinney Fita shafts.
They still hold the world Fita record but they were attacked from the git go to the point that production has been cancelled as far as I know. Same thing goes for the Triples. You are hard pressed to even find anyone in the states who stocks them.
Jbird

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I don't believe you can shoot the spine out of a Gold Tip. I have very little scientific data to back this up other than my own testing.

I made my own spine measuring jig that uses a 2 lb weight and a dial indicator good to .0005". I test all my carbons to find the stiffest direction of the shaft. I also number my arrows and record the difference in spine over time. I have suspended this practice because after a year of shooting the same Gold Tip GT7595's and CAE Phantom Pros I never saw a change in spine one bit.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't believe that you can shoot the spine out of an arrow period.

As far as gold tips I built a spine tester just because I could not get a dozen that would work together.

After testing them I found that there was over 15% variation in spine from the weakest to the stiffest, with the stiffest shaft being very close to the next spine up.

They are very tough though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
AK I agree...........

I have to agree with AK, I have a dozen (X-Cutter) practice arrows that I have have shot several thousand rounds and when I did a recent inspection I also ran a true test......same as the day I bought them.

I cannot test them beyond non loaded conditions but they still go through the X consistently!:D

Just my input.........................

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have had my first set of Gold Tips a few months now. They are the Pro Hunters and they are just awesome. I am ordering some Ultralight Pros for field next year.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
tur-bow

Tur-bow said:
I have had my first set of Gold Tips a few months now. They are the Pro Hunters and they are just awesome. I am ordering some Ultralight Pros for field next year.

Remember "toughest arrow you'll ever shoot" ! I wouldnt worry about spine on any Goldtip, YES I do think that rumors start to discredit companies.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Spine

I have my original set of 3555's that have 1000's of shots through them and they shoot just as good as the day I bought them. I guess if GT goes out of business, which they never will (product that good) I will have to stop shooting. Or just come here and buy them all up.

GT's are awesome.

IMHO

Tim

·
Registered
951 Posts
is possible that gt got on the ball and stepped up thier quality control in the last year or so? when i got back into this game 3-4yrs ago, gt's were the first arrows i bought. i can't say anything about spine specifically because i've too have never tested for that, but i know that wieght tollerances were all over the place. it wasn't unussual to get only 5 shafts out of a dozen that were anywhere near thier advertised range. that makes it mighty hard to build a set of good arrows. there is a very respected(founding member of our club, prevoius state champoin, and national level competitor in his younger days) dealer near me that, at the time, sold them to most everyone who shot gt's in the area and when he got a shipment in, he went through the trouble of wieghing each shaft and grouping them in dozens by wieght because they varied so much. as i said, i can't say anything about spine, but, i think it's pretty well established that a variation spine will be a direct product of a shafts variation in wieght. granted, the majority ofthe shafts he sold were hunters and xt's, but if you advertise a tollerance, i would expect the product to reflect that advertizement and if not, i would be suspect of thier entire line. i haven't bought any for about 2 years now, it would be good to hear that they upped thier qc because they certainly are tough arrows and on the surface, a good deal price wise.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
gold tip

deerheaven and i have gold tips we bought 5 years ago. we are still refletching them and using them. they are straight as can be. he spins everyone, no wobble. when they are shot, they are just awesome!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I shot GT pro hunters for 3-D this summer, and they are now my "practice" arrows....they have been shot thousands of times, slammed together, refletched alot, and they all still group just fine.:D
When I tuned my new bow, I used a bare shaft (out of a different dozen), and it also grouped with the "old" arrows.:cool:
Most "old" arrows start to group poorly beacause most people NEVER change the knocks.:rolleyes:
The nocks get old, and effect the flight....not the spine deteriating...IMO, of corse.;)

·
Banned
736 Posts
Gold Tip Arrows

Not that this is a scientific or a new finding but I believe if the carbon fibers crack a little when bent then the spine has changed. If you could see the amount of flexing a shaft goes through when it hits an even surface like stacked carpet targets or a rag filled target bag you would think that arrow is ruined forever. You can see it in some of the slow motion videos on the market. “I recommend hay filled or foam formed targets for that reason—less shaft damage”.

Aluminum arrows bend a whole lot more at impact and I believe the spine memory is lost faster the more it bends. Losing spine has been a subject long before carbon arrows were on the market so aluminum definitely is affected.

I can honestly say it’s scary how much I saw a Gold Tip Series 22 bend and still tested straight, no aluminum arrow would bend as much as it did without permanent damage so I am very comfortable believing them when they say it is extremely resilient to damage from flexing. I tried bending some other carbon shafts as much and you could hear the fibers cracking and popping. Friends that have spine testers haven’t seen any change in Gold Tips spine after 1,000’s of shots.

I even know of a guy that (by mistake) left his Gold Tips and a few competitors’ arrows leaning up against a wall for a couple hoursout in our Phoenix heat . The other arrows bent and stayed bent, the Gold Tips measured straight as new.

What really sold me is I admire Gold Tips way of doing business—they listen to their customers and constantly improve their products because (like me) they have no choice! They don't have the clout or resources to sell a new junk arrow through massive advertising!

Jbird [/i] [B] It seems to me that when a really good arrow comes on the market that there is an effort to discredit it. [/B][/QUOTE] I agree—the “big boys” don’t like competition and make it real hard for anyone with a limited budget to make a dent by falsely starting rumors. I know this 1st hand from making nocks! [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hollowpoint10 said:

Most "old" arrows start to group poorly beacause most people NEVER change the knocks.:rolleyes:
The nocks get old, and effect the flight.
Right! Unfortunately more than most will ever know or admit to!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
One thing I've notice here on AT is that quite a few people are shooting Golds of one spine and grouping just fine with field tips but when they switch to broad heads they find the need to go up one size. i.e. The spine chart works better for field tips than for broad heads. That is not a arrow problem, but it needs to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
IMO, stiff is better for fixed blade heads....no matter what type of arrow you are shooting.
I have noticed that the GT's will allow you to shoot field tips with a spine thats too soft, and still shoot well.
I cannot say the same for aluminums, or a few other brands of carbons I have shot.;)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am not involved in salesat all, just for the record. A local pro shop pushed gold tips on all their customers. i bought two dozen. while shotting in the back the staff of this shop just praised them for great accuracy. I weight the two dozen that I bought, finding no two to be the same. I know now that the staff weight each shaft and sorted them for themselves. The customers got a mix match of shafts.
For the price they compared to others, however I think that Beeman, Vapor, Carbon Express, and Phantoms are are superior. I reviewed the tests in Archery World, Cabala's came in first for a lot less. Goldtips were there but not the leader by a long shot>

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
OK I admit it.....Gold Tip's SUCK!!!!...out of my dozen, (as of today) I have now robin hooded 6 of them....they MUST be defective.:p

Bowgren.....your shop sucks!!!!:eek:
If they are doing that...I would NEVER do business with them at all.:(

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
johnhames said:
One thing I've notice here on AT is that quite a few people are shooting Golds of one spine and grouping just fine with field tips but when they switch to broad heads they find the need to go up one size. i.e. The spine chart works better for field tips than for broad heads. That is not a arrow problem, but it needs to be taken into consideration.
I thought you might be curious to know that every year I have had to tune and sight in for my Muzzy broadheads but this year it was different. With my 3555 Pro Hunters and BowTech Liberty the Muzzys hit dead center of impact where my field points hit out to 40 yards. I was stunned and smiling.:) Could have been the GT Pro's, could have been the bow; either way I was pleasantly surprised.

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
GoldTip Pro's come in a package and all weigh within 1/2 or a grain of each other.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts