Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golden Moose for Mike Waddell
Vote here for realtree roadtrips. Mike was around to answer questions we had and made a good attempt at a chat section. Not to mention the show is one of the best out there.
Vote ofter. Pass along to other sites.

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/gmaind...Poll&Rules=Yes
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride
http://www.cdsarchery.com

·
Registered
190 Posts
Now if we can just get him to quit with the "puttin' a smackdown on that buck", he may actually get more awards.

Maybe it was just too much "WWF" in his younger days.........who knows.

Enthusiasm is one thing.......

In that type of video forum and hunting tv shows, I believe we owe a bit more to the younger viewers in the realm of teaching them about respect for the animals we hunt. I believe some of the things that come out of his mouth tend to trivialize that aspect of hunting. Don't get me wrong. He obviously is a dedicated hunter. It just rubs me the wrong way when I hear that latest "smackdown" phrase. It rubs me the same way as the WHA and its idiotic concept, "Professional" Bass Fishing with their Nascar-esque leanings, and the overall varied commercialized approaches taken by some of the hunting TV shows to generate an expanded audience. Maybe I'm just not tuned in to what it takes to "sell" a product or show.

I grew up with very little visual stimulation in the area of bowhunting. The nearest thing was American Sportsman with the occasional clip of Fred Bear using his recurve to hunt some big game animal. I can't remember Fred ever once slamming high 5s with the camera man for successfully "smackin" one down. Guess I'm just from a different generation.

Sorry for the rambling. Nothing against Bill Jordan or his crew. Just what appears to me to be a bit of "insensitivity" and respect for this grand preoccupation and the animals we pursue.

Just MHO.

·
Registered
619 Posts
hayslope said:
Now if we can just get him to quit with the "puttin' a smackdown on that buck", he may actually get more awards.

In that type of video forum and hunting tv shows, I believe we owe a bit more to the younger viewers in the realm of teaching them about respect for the animals we hunt. I believe some of the things that come out of his mouth tend to trivialize that aspect of hunting. Don't get me wrong. He obviously is a dedicated hunter. It just rubs me the wrong way when I hear that latest "smackdown" phrase. It rubs me the same way as the WHA and its idiotic concept, "Professional" Bass Fishing with their Nascar-esque leanings, and the overall varied commercialized approaches taken by some of the hunting TV shows to generate an expanded audience. Maybe I'm just not tuned in to what it takes to "sell" a product or show.

I grew up with very little visual stimulation in the area of bowhunting. The nearest thing was American Sportsman with the occasional clip of Fred Bear using his recurve to hunt some big game animal. I can't remember Fred ever once slamming high 5s with the camera man for successfully "smackin" one down. Guess I'm just from a different generation.

Sorry for the rambling. Nothing against Bill Jordan or his crew. Just what appears to me to be a bit of "insensitivity" and respect for this grand preoccupation and the animals we pursue.

Just MHO.

I like his style. Im 35 and me and the guys I hunt with act the same. Cutting up every chance we get. We say things like " just vented his chest" " Thrashed Him" " Just ruined his whole weekend" and others. Its not meant as disrespect for the animal we hunt that's just a younger generation. If everyone had the same ideas on how this sport should be it not be near as enjoyable as it is. When I thrash a deer its not ment to be disrepectful at all its just me being me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think you are right, Hayslope. You are out of touch with what sells today. Michael W. is conservative compared to some of the wackos out there who make big time cash acting idiotic.
I like his shows because he acts (and talks) like the guys I hang out with - minus the southern accent- and I think that is a big draw for alot of people. Last week, he was on shooting doves with his little boy. I had my six year old girl out in the goose blind with me for the first time and I can see how that is a great image to project on a show like his. I think he does more for hunting than all the elitist pseudo-hunters you watch and read about. (IMHO)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hayslope said:

Just MHO.
You are aware that we are killing these animals, right? What do you do when you kill a deer?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys

I'll acknowledged that I am from a "different" generation and am out of touch with what it "takes to sell hunting" these days.

RYAN - Believe it or not, after 40 years of hunting, I actually do realize that we kill the animals. The mentors that I had as a teenager when I first started bowhunting instilled in me the need to maintain a deep respect for the animals that we hunted. Their approach to bowhunting and hunting in general had a profound influence on me.

I, still to this day, kneel and say a few words to the animal that I have just killed. I don't think I would be human if I didn't. This is between me and the animal. It is something personnal that I have to do. I still feel the excitement. But I also have respect for the animal whose life I just took.

I'm lucky enough to regularly hunt in two states each year. Back at either camp, there are always plenty of congratulations upon a kill, but we never act like we just won the lottery. A Pope & Young will probably get more handshakes and congratulations than a small 8 pt., but we would probably celebrate a young hunter making his first clean kill on a doe more than we would for a large buck that any of us might take.

I live for bowhunting. It goes way beyond obsession. While I may express my views on bowhunting, including having respect for the animals we hunt during a bowhunter education class, I know that bowhunting is an individual thing, with each individual having different influences and perspectives. I am also a realist. I know what I say in any one of those classes may or may not influence a new hunter. I can only hope I do. Each generation is different, with different influences.

Guys, don't get me wrong. To each their own. My opinion is just that...my opinion. Look at me as an old fart stuck in his ways and views. Just like the guy that posted that using the word "harvest" rubs him the wrong way. Some things I see and hear rub me the wrong way as well. It's nothing different from the old timer longbow hunter that thinks I've lost my roots because I now shoot with a compound. Different generation and perspective.

Good luck to everyone this season and hunt safely. If you feel the need to say I'll "smackem down" this season, go for it.

·
outback1
5,057 Posts
SkiFlyer said:
I think you are right, Hayslope. You are out of touch with what sells today. Michael W. is conservative compared to some of the wackos out there who make big time cash acting idiotic.
I like his shows because he acts (and talks) like the guys I hang out with - minus the southern accent- and I think that is a big draw for alot of people. Last week, he was on shooting doves with his little boy. I had my six year old girl out in the goose blind with me for the first time and I can see how that is a great image to project on a show like his. I think he does more for hunting than all the elitist pseudo-hunters you watch and read about. (IMHO)
what accent?yall have the accent!:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I visit my folks in Alabama I get that same comment from their neighbors. Are you telling me that in the movie "Fargo", there is a recognizable accent?...... eh?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hayslope said:
I'll acknowledged that I am from a "different" generation and am out of touch with what it "takes to sell hunting" these days.

RYAN - Believe it or not, after 40 years of hunting, I actually do realize that we kill the animals. The mentors that I had as a teenager when I first started bowhunting instilled in me the need to maintain a deep respect for the animals that we hunted. Their approach to bowhunting and hunting in general had a profound influence on me.

I, still to this day, kneel and say a few words to the animal that I have just killed. I don't think I would be human if I didn't. This is between me and the animal. It is something personnal that I have to do. I still feel the excitement. But I also have respect for the animal whose life I just took.

I'm lucky enough to regularly hunt in two states each year. Back at either camp, there are always plenty of congratulations upon a kill, but we never act like we just won the lottery. A Pope & Young will probably get more handshakes and congratulations than a small 8 pt., but we would probably celebrate a young hunter making his first clean kill on a doe more than we would for a large buck that any of us might take.

I live for bowhunting. It goes way beyond obsession. While I may express my views on bowhunting, including having respect for the animals we hunt during a bowhunter education class, I know that bowhunting is an individual thing, with each individual having different influences and perspectives. I am also a realist. I know what I say in any one of those classes may or may not influence a new hunter. I can only hope I do. Each generation is different, with different influences.

Guys, don't get me wrong. To each their own. My opinion is just that...my opinion. Look at me as an old fart stuck in his ways and views. Just like the guy that posted that using the word "harvest" rubs him the wrong way. Some things I see and hear rub me the wrong way as well. It's nothing different from the old timer longbow hunter that thinks I've lost my roots because I now shoot with a compound. Different generation and perspective.

Good luck to everyone this season and hunt safely. If you feel the need to say I'll "smackem down" this season, go for it.
I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. I agree with you, to a point. People react differently when they kill. I'm a lot like Waddell. I get pumped-up after a successful hunt. It's in our blood to do this, so it's very exciting when all the hard work pays off and comes together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts