Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Yall
Just building my first arrows in years

I am having a problem of keeping the pin inserts in the shaft.

So far I've tried Saunders Arrowmate NPV and Bohning Platinum.

After reading a few posts most notable being on the Beman website saying to avoid hot melt as it damages the shafts.

Would Araldite 48 hour epoxy work?

What do you guys use?

Cheers
DrW

·
Registered
553 Posts
I assume you are talking about pin nock inserts. I do not use any glue. Place a plastic shopping bag over the end of the shaft, push the insert through the bag and into the shaft. This creates a shim around the insert. I use (Gold Tip) Tip Grip for nibbs and threaded point inserts. If the inside of the shaft is cleaned with a water soluable soap and allowed to air dry, this glue works awesome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes the inserts.

lol
Wish I had thought of that. If any more come off I''ll give it a shot :D

Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
The shopping bag idea is almost the same thing I do.

Except I use teflon tape. Just take a small piece and wrap around the insert/bushing and push it into the shaft. I do this incase one of my inserts/bushings get damaged. I can just remove and replace it instead of trashing the whole arrow :thumbs_up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sigh

Oh well Ill know for next time.
It seems that after another 24 hours they have stuck fast.

If I do have some come unstuck ill try the Teflon tape.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update:
The arrows i used the Bohning Platinum, stuck fast

The arrows that the inserts didn't stick (with just the Saunders Arrowmate) i used the plastic bag trick and it worked well.
Nice tight groups @ 30 metres not so tight at 50 but my 50 pin wasnt set and i was getting tired and i have a bad cold. ....yeah I know excuses ;)

I used Gateway Razyr feathers the arrows fly in a nice flat smooth arc and are fast. Can't ask for more really.

Plus I shot my third Robin Hood in about 4 months tho this time the hooded arrow wasn't mine :D pealed the other fellow archers aluminium shaft like a banana my arrow was fine. Real Robin Hood too the hooded arrow was in the X was @ 20 M. After that I figured my 20 pin was about right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That is exactly why i went with the pin nocks

I was running out of arrows down to 2 and it was getting expensive. Mind you now I'm
probably looking at $45 if I hood one of the new one a appose to $24.

I was really surprised how well these arrows fly.

My philosophy coming back into the sport is.

"I wanted my gear good enough that I didn't have any excuses for a bad shot. If I shoot bad its something I've done"

I remember when I use to shoot years ago some guys blaming the arrows, the bow, the weather all the various parts of the bow. Blaming every thing other that their form.

I wanted to avoid that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts