Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out and bought some Goldtip 5575 pro hunter arrows and I have been shooting them through my whisker biscuit. Now my Vanes are wrinkled and it makes a rubbing sound when I pull them back.
Questions
1. I have heard a hair drier smoothes out the vanes, is this true?
2. Should i just replace the vanes with another kind of vane?
3. Also was wondering how to dampen the rubbing sound when I pull back the arrow?
Thanks for any help/advice.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Same problem here. Have heard lots of people say wb don't mess up there vanes but I've shot several diff kinds through mine and its wrinkled all of em at least a little and I always make sure they don't contact the black bristles

·
Registered
87 Posts
I shoot nap twister vanes with a WB and dont have any trouble unless the bristles are really worn out. You probably need a vane that is a little sturdier, standard vanes will wrinkle with a WB. You can straighten them with a hair dryer , I have used a toaster (spin them over it like you are roasting them) just be careful if you get them to close or leave them in the heat too long they will melt.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have shot Flex Fletch Flash and Blazers with the WB rest and have had good luck with both. I think any short vane will stand up better than the longer standard vanes. As for the rubbing sound when you draw I can't say I've noticed it being a problem. I agree that there is some sound but I've never been busted because of it. I've never tried it but I wonder if rubbing down your arrows with something like Armor All would help. It might smell a little though and I have no idea how it might react with a carbon arrow.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Vanetec vanes will NOT wrinkle, there are some others that are also good, (ie blazers, one of the fusion vanes, aae max, i think those are right) just make sure that they are a rigid style vane. Regular vanes ( softer ) will wrinkle and yes a hair dryer will usually straighten them.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
2" blazers won't bat an eye through the WB, but the biscuit will eat 3 and 4" vanes up after a while. Take a lighter and put it close enough to the vane to make it hot and pinch the vane between your thumb and index finger tip and run along the spine of the vane. I will smooth out almost like new, however you won't have a problem at all with 2" blazers (my only experience with a shorter vane through a wb)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
actually im shooting gold tips with vanetecs right now and i can assure you they are wrinkled. just tried the hair dryer and i was able to straighten them some. idk maybe its just my biscuit but i been thinkin of goin to a drop away for this exact reason

·
Archery Addict
9,206 Posts
Blazers or Vanetec HP's work great out of the WB. You can pull a cotton ball through the hole in the WB and it will quieten it alot.

·
Registered
23,209 Posts
I shot a WB for a calendar year and never had issues with curling or noise. From other threads, it appears that some shafts are rougher in surface texture than my Beman MFX shafts and the cotton ball trick might help. The best flight I achieved with a WB was with Fusion Zeon vanes, as they were stiff. This summer my nephew talked me into trying a Ripcord he took off his target bow while trying a different drop away and it has been outstanding. With the full capture feature and great flight, I am hunting with the Ripcord this season and hoping it proves durable and reliable in the field.

·
Registered
283 Posts
im shooting the gold tip 5575 exp hunter with the hp vanes and never had a problem with my biscuit

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those super soft vanes you are talking about (that usually come on store-bought arrows) are a no-no for Whisker Biscuit. They are made out of a rubber like compound. They fold down when going through the biscuit. The reason they crinkle up is the heat they generate when passing through the bristles, because they create excess friction (you know how rubber grips, right? ie your tires)

Use vanes that are harder plastic. The softness of those vanes are not needed nowadays with whisker biscuits (which contacts all fletching) or drop-aways (which do not contact).
Vane-Tech, Duravane, Naps quick spin etc. I used Blazers for a couple years until I had a bonehead revelation that they had unneccessary friction due to the rough surface they have. They grab. I wouldn't use Fusions either. I was going to try them, until I felt the rough surface.

EDIT: Might be worthwhile to check out the new Fusion Zeon- they look smooth texture to me. Original Fusions have the rough texture.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Some vanes are just not durable enough but I have been using AAE Max Hunters through a WB Rest and no issues as well as Bohning KIller 3 inch Vanes they get alittle dsicoring but nothing more right now I am trying the Fusion 3 inch vanes being they are a little lower profile but so far these have all been good with the WB. You did not mention what Biscuit you have, larger is better I shoot 2514, FMJs and GT XT 7595 with little issues with any of these but most Carbons are not as smooth as the aluminum exterior arrows so that might be an issue with your GT's. The old GT had a rough exterior like other carbons do it is just the nature of how they are made. So now most of my shooting and hunting I use Easton 2514 or FMJ's. Been shooting the biscuit for 5 years now and no issues with what you are having.

Blazers are also good with the WB...But I like the look of AAE Max Hunters...
Good Luck,
LFM

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
i use blazers and i spray jig a loo on both the GT arrow and the bisquit. it quiets it down a bit and won't let the WB freeze up.

·
Daniel
191 Posts
Just wanted to interject something here. Your last sentence should have read "Regular vanes, ( softer ) except for Flex-Fletch, will wrinkle and yes a hair dryer will usually straighten them, except for Flex-Fletch which will not wrinkle and therefore not need a hair dryer.
Vanetec vanes will NOT wrinkle, there are some others that are also good, (ie blazers, one of the fusion vanes, aae max, i think those are right) just make sure that they are a rigid style vane. Regular vanes ( softer ) will wrinkle and yes a hair dryer will usually straighten them.

·
Daniel
191 Posts
Give Flex-Fletch vanes a try, smooth and fast with quiet built in. Made with a unique process no-one else in the vane industry uses. The first and still the best.
Those super soft vanes you are talking about (that usually come on store-bought arrows) are a no-no for Whisker Biscuit. They are made out of a rubber like compound. They fold down when going through the biscuit. The reason they crinkle up is the heat they generate when passing through the bristles, because they create excess friction (you know how rubber grips, right? ie your tires)

Use vanes that are harder plastic. The softness of those vanes are not needed nowadays with whisker biscuits (which contacts all fletching) or drop-aways (which do not contact).
Vane-Tech, Duravane, Naps quick spin etc. I used Blazers for a couple years until I had a bonehead revelation that they had unneccessary friction due to the rough surface they have. They grab. I wouldn't use Fusions either. I was going to try them, until I felt the rough surface.

EDIT: Might be worthwhile to check out the new Fusion Zeon- they look smooth texture to me. Original Fusions have the rough texture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts