Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the goldtip arrow weight system to reduce FOC ?My correct length and spine only weighs 313grains and has an FOC of 15percent .This seems a little front heavy and i would like to use my 100grain 4blade steel force premiums.I can accept the light weight as i only have a 25inch draw and shoot 60lbs.But this Foc seem like it would nosedive ten feet in front of the bow.BTW these arrows and broadheads haven't arrived yet so i have not shot this set up.Am i worrying about nothing?This is about the 5th arrow bhead combo i have bought and it's getting expensive.I really liked my 2213 alum with a 2blade stinger combo,but the tragetory was horrible past 20yards.I sound like i am complaining but buying and trying new gear is a big part of the whole experience for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
FOC

On the arrows that you specified are you using Vanes or feathers?

If you are using feathers, they are alot lighter than vanes and will move the FOC closer to the front of the shaft. And vanes being the heavier of the two will move the FOC closer to the rear.

If you don't have vanes on the shaft already, try it and see what the FOC comes up to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
feathers

I ordered the goldtip xts with 4inch feathers.I prefer feather flecth.With vanes the same arrows are about 12percent FOC.

·
Registered
450 Posts
scott,
i am thinking that, maybe you have the wrong prception about foc. if you have an arrow that wieghs 313 with around 12% foc, i would say that's just about perfect. the front of center wieght is more or less a comparative characteristic that allows you to get an idea of just how well the arrow will stay within a reasonable flight path as it is pushed around by gravity and side winds. it also will indicate how quickly an arrow will stabilize from a less than perfect release. the higher the foc, the better the tail end of an arrow will stay behind the front end and the less the tail end will pull the path of the front end off course in a cross wind. the last thing you want, for an arrow that will be used outdoors, is a low foc. for indoors a low foc is fine, as there aren't any crosswinds and such to deal with. at 313 grains of arrow wieght, i assume you won't have to worry about speed or arrow drop, assuming you have 50 or so pounds of draw wieght. usually, in order to get good speed and flat trajectory, a person will go to the lightest tip that the arrow/ bow set up will tollerate. this will work as long as you don't get outside what will give good flight, but, as you get closer to the "low" end of what is considered tollerable, your foc drops off as well and you might have an arrow that floats (doesn't, rotate along a nice even arch as it flies) or will fly sideways in a light cross breeze too easily and drift left or right.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
feathers

i had stated the arrows with vanes had a 12FOC.Mine have feather flecth and have a 15percent FOC

·
Registered
140 Posts
I prefer feathers myself.

With you using feathers, play with the point weight and see if that helps you achieve the FOC that you want.

·
Registered
450 Posts
total arrow mass is what makes an arrow "drop like a stone", not an overly high or low foc. it is the balance between total mass and foc that makes an arrow fly in a stable manor in all kinds of conditions, such as cross winds, tail winds, or any combination. i would say you don't necessarily need to have 15% with an arrow wieghing 313 gr., but for a hunting arrow, it can't hurt. the only thing about a combination like that is that the total mass will make the arrow have a greater trajectory, but only because it wieghs as much as it does as a whole entity not because the foc is high...... you could get a flatter trajectory by going to lighter tips and go to feathers to keep as much foc as you can, but you will give up energy. it's all a trade off, and for broadheads, i would rather go with as high an foc as i can get and still have a reasonably flat shooting arrow, which you should have.

basicaly, you can't have too much foc, it will stabilize better and preserve down range energy, but you can have too little.... you will loose a tiny bit of down range energy by going with less foc for any given arrow wieght, and you will pay for less foc by not having as stable an arrow flight. at 313 gr., you'll have plenty of speed with 60 lbs., go for the foc and the stability.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
15percent

My finished arrow will weigh 313grains and have a 15percent FOC.Does anyone think my total arrow weight is to light?I am shooting 60lbs draw weight and have a short 25inch draw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts