Archery Talk Forum banner

GoldTip XT 5575 vs Easton Axis 400s?

2095 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  elkaddict
I've been shooting the GoldTips for quite a while, so naturally, it's time to fix something that isn't broken.

These arrows seem to be spined very well for my setup. Can I expect that the Axis shafts in 400 spine would be very similar as the 5575 spine of the GoldTips?

Any general thoughts on XT Hunters vs. ST-Axis?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
I started with axis went to gold tip to save some money and went back with the axis. Just can't beat them, They seem very similar in spine just seem to have a dif. when they go in animals! love the axis

· Registered
5,786 Posts
Axis are awesome arrows, but I'm not fan of the HIT inserts. I've shot Axis, FMJs, Epics, Flatline, and Beman ICS Hunters, and I've never had a single complaint about them. I just switched to Gold Tip XT Hunters 5575, and like the Eastons, I see nothing wrong. They do seem a touch tougher and more flexible, however, I like how the majority of Eastons are made in the US

Out of the 2, GTs because I'm not a fan of the HIT. I shoot Flatlines out of my 3D bow (BMXS).

· Registered
4,284 Posts
Of the ones you mentioned, Axis. They are very durable and fly great. I also am not a fan of the HIT insert so I switched to the Epics. They have the same specs and constructions as the Axis but use a regular insert. The 400 Axis is 9 gpi and the Epic is 8.6 gpi but the heavier insert makes them about the same weight. Plus the epics are less then the Axis.

· Registered
892 Posts
Between the Xts and Axis, I would go with the Axis. After going through 6 or 7 dozen XTs, I've concluded the Axis seem to have a more uniform. I don't believe it is the weight variation, but rather the spine or poor nock fit. Generally, it seems like with the XTs, 2-3 arrows out of a dozen could not be made to shoot broadheads with the rest of dozen (rotating nocks will help with some--but not with all). My criterial is staying in a 3" dot at 30yds. We had one batch og 3555s that 1/2 of the arrows couldn't make the cut. The trick to testing is number you arrows and take plenty of time to test each one with broadheads. Axis arrows just seem to be more uniform provided the ends are squared. They are not perfect however. It is my experience that Axis do indeed penetrate better--I was surprized to reach this conclusion but I have (hunting hogs). Gold Tip Pros are a step up from the XTs--and comparable with the Axis IMO in uniformity--maybe slightly better. The GT seem to be a bit tougher. If you hit something hard with the Axis, they mushroom at the tip. Hit something hard with the GT and they tend to split on the nock end. Some will argue this point and have reached a different conclusion. The only thing I dislike about Axis is pulling them from 3-d targets and needing to buy new fletching equipment. Presently, I shoot both GT Pros and Axis. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.