Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to be getting my first bow soon, and am just wondering what the most popular and reliable companies are for a quality bow on this board. I am looking at something for $425 or less for just the bow.

Can you guys narrow me down to 2 or 3 companies (or even models or packages) with top notch products and customer service in my price range? I have heard good things about the following:

- Darton
- PSE
- Martin
- Fred Bear

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Bowtech Tomkat
Diamond Rapture
Martin Saber
PSE Triton (hybrid)
Any one of these bows will treat you right! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i would take a look into the martin saber or the reflex line of bows either way you will be getting a great bow for a great price

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I would suggest the Pearson Spolier...... they are under $400 in most areas

also Jennings and Fred Bear make some nice mid priced bows............

·
Registered
247 Posts
How about Bowtech, you did say you wanted the top of line bows didn't you?
PSE, Martin, Hoyt and there is another company out there that starts with a M but I just can't think of it.

·
Premium Member
8,546 Posts
Way tooo many to choose from ...

Alpine makes some great bows in your price range, great company to deal with, and exceptional service .... Martin, and Hoyt make some good bows in that price range also ....

What would your main purpose be for the bow ... hunting, target, or just plain ol' recreational shootin' ???

·
74,535 Posts
One that has the bow to fit you best

Go try several bows. All those are good companys

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
I have never owned one but if I was looking in that price range it would be a Bowtech Tomkat. I test shot one and it felt great.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Go with darton, the vapor runs for about $400+ and is probaly the best bow for the money. Take a look at one and you wont regret it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to be using for recreational shooting and hopefully hunting someday.

I think the Vapor is a bit out of my range alhtough I have been told it's an awesome bow.

The Darton Storm package was recommended to me, but not sure I can try one out around here... looks pretty nice and right in my price range.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Spoiler Hands Down For The Money !

The pearson spoiler is a amazing bow in what you get performance per dollar spent.33 inch axle to axle 7 3/4 brace height ,vapor trail string system,hardwood grip,mouse quiet,extremly low recoil and much faster than the advertised IBO of 305 fps.Spoilers have real knock down power and are affordable!................kenny

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
What Fits

We all could tell you the best is......, but that doesn't help. Go to a local pro shop, not a catalog outfitter, to get sized. When you find what draw length and weight feels right, shop around. I shot an old clearwater until it broke just because it felt right and I didn't want anything else. It doesn't matter on the brand as much as the comfort and confidence. It needs to perform for you and you with it. Of course we all have our favorites, they fit us. You might find that some guy named Dave across the alley makes the best bow. If you do then get on here and tell us why he is the best. Untill then, shop around and leave the names behind.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
I agree....what fits and feels right in your hand...just be very wary of LONG drawlengths and high poundages....MOST shooters today end up with drawlengths from 1" to 3" too long for them....and you want to avoid that.

Never trust the limb tag on the bow as far as the drawlength goes...>ALWAYS, I repeat ALWAYS have the shop actually MEASURE the drawlength of the bow before you purchase it...if they hesitate....I'd be wary.

One bow line not mentioned...and I agree all those already mentioned are great bows...but beware: IF they are PROPERLY fitted to the shooter.

Try looking into the Merlin VISION bows...they have the same limbs and cams as the top of the line Max3000, or Supernova, but the risers are just "less fancy"...they shoot every bit as well...

Contact Kevin Speckman: [email protected]

for availability and pricing....you'll be surprised.

field14

·
Registered
156 Posts
Parker seems to be a great value. I've only looked at them in the shop, and they have a couple packages in the price range you mentioned. I would try a few different bows as suggested by other members

·
Registered
112 Posts
Monfletch has got the best deal on a new bow hands down. Pearson Venom. Super fast and quieter than any bow I have ever been around. $338 inc shipping.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
hellbent said:
I am going to be getting my first bow soon, and am just wondering what the most popular and reliable companies are for a quality bow on this board. I am looking at something for $425 or less for just the bow.

Can you guys narrow me down to 2 or 3 companies (or even models or packages) with top notch products and customer service in my price range? I have heard good things about the following:

- Darton
- PSE
- Martin
- Fred Bear

Thanks!!
Give Newberry bows a call talk to Rebecca she can give you a killer deal on a top end bow 423-949-5038

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just bought a TomKat. Money wasn't an issue. It was the one that felt the best to me. I tried about ten different bows and that and the Diamond (forget the model) felt the best. Turns out they were the least expensive too. I went with Bowtech. If you shoot enough bows the right one will find you.... :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I agree with most.

Find the bow that feels the best to YOU! Dont even look at prices. You just may be suprised! :mg:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Listen to Field 14 !!! :thumbs_up

I have had a martin scepter since 2002 (love it) and customer service has been 100% positive, and I have asked alot from them. If you call them over the phone your questions will be answered and problems solved.

Enjoy your Archery ............. wooska

1 - 20 of 26 Posts