Archery Talk Forum banner

good broadhead for moose?

3161 Views 30 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  wdriver
going on a moose hunt in september. I've been beating my head against a rock about what broadhead to use. I've talked to lots of people and got lots of suggestions, so I bring it to you ATer's. The more feedback the better so I can make an informed decision. I'm leaning toward a fixed blade but have not totally written off expandables. Keep in mind this is the first and possibly the last time I may be able to go moose hunting and if get a shot I don't want it to be ruined by a failed mechanical.
Any other suggestions relating to gear or bowhunting moose would be helpful also. Thanks
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,104 Posts
it depends on where you are going to hunt moose. if you are comeing to alaska you have to use a fixed blade. I use wac'em's by tritian and i love them. i shot a caribu this last season, i know it is now where neer as big, but shot her through both ribs and it went straight through. the rocks on the other side did in the blade though. i will not hesatate to stick one in a moose, sheep, or grizz, i plan on useing them for my grizz hunt next october. No matter what you use, moose are fun as heck to hunt. good luck.

· In 'Da Head
24,270 Posts
Forget the expandables...and get a solid, sharp fixed blade head.
My top 2 candidates would be:

1. G5 Striker (I'm a big fan of this head and it has never let me down...one of the most durable and sharpest on the market).
2. G5 Montec (solid piece of stainless steel...very strong and great flight).

· Registered
577 Posts
Last year...for my once-in-a-lifetime moose hunt, I choose SilverFlames. Yes, very expensive (but only 2% of my total hunt cost), but absolutely Impossible to have made a bad decision using that head. Plus they are so accurate and durable, that I will have them for many years to come for any larger sized game I may try.

I shoot 60 pounds with 62lbs KE. I wanted to ensure I got that arrow as far as possible into the moose.

Killed my moose at 50 yards with SilverFlame protruding out the other side of the moose. Moose traveled 75 yards and was done.

Good luck to you. AB

· Registered
476 Posts
I shot a cow moose here in Anchorage, Alaska with a 125 grain G5 montec, complete double lung pass thru and she walked 20 yads and fell over dead. The arrow went another 20 yards and stopped in the snow. There are some pics posted on my profile. I was looking at the strikers, but i have read some horror stories about the blades coming apart when hitting ribs, so i went with a solid one pice broadhead. I plan on using the 100 grain montecs for caribou and goat this year. I dont think that i would ever use mechanicals for anything, I just dont trust them and i have never had any flight issues with fixed heads.

+1 on checking the regs where you hunt, Fixed BHs only for moose up here. Where do you plan on going?

· Registered
317 Posts
Use the Silver Flame. Best broadhead I have ever seen/shoot. I have only killed Whitetail with them.

The only down side I ever hear anyone say about the SF is price. I image that is not a hugh concern considering what I image it would cost to travel to AK for a moose hunt.

Good Luck.

· Registered
47 Posts
good broadhead for moose

Hello Corey4! I am going moose hunting this fall also. I have been doing some research on broadheads for this hunt.

I have shot Rocket sidewinders (.036 tk. blades ) for years with great results. I have taken elk, bear and lots of whitetails with them. I have never had a failure with these.

Having said this, my outfitter wants me to shoot fixed. I have bought a pack of Slick Trix " Grizz Trix " to evaluate. They have .035 tk blades (important) and fly like mechanicals supposedly. Two things you gotta have; 1 - they have got to fly like field points; 2- got to have thick blades.

I'll let you know how the Grizz Trix perform after some more shooting.

· Registered
3,016 Posts
Cut on contact magnuss monteck (g5) the only two I have used and both work good. I would use your normal set up 100grn head would be more than enough. If you can take a white tail with it you can take a moose with it. just have to think about range. I personally would stick with at least a 400grn total minimum (BH & arrow) but I think any thing leagal to use will do just fine.

· Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Use a larger four blade broadhead like the Muzzy 130gr Four Blade, a big hole ensures a good bloodtrail and the higher weight will give you a good high FOC.

· Registered
10,965 Posts
Having shot big game, I would also go with a SilverFlame. They were built for just that. You'll have no worries of a clean kill with those babies:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I have used both SlickTrick Mag 125s and Wasp Hammer SST 125s.

The Wasps did a better job.

If you have lower KE under 60lbs I would stick to a good 1 1/4 cut 3 blade fixed broadhead from Wasp, Muzzy, Rocky Mountain.

IF you have 60+ KE probably ANY good fixed blade will do the trick.

The reason why I prefer the 3 blade Wasp over the SlickTrick(which is a GREAT broadhead) is that with the Wasp I got passthrough shot...the SlickTrick failed to get a pass-through.

The Wasp Moose was shot at around 10 yards. and the Slick Trick was at 6 yards. Exact same bow. Same arrows etc.

I am either using a Wasp Boss 3 blade this year or RockyMountain Blitz.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback. It helped at least to narrow my search to just a few, rather than a few hundred. Definitely not using a mechanical. By the way my moose hunt is in Ontario, would love for it to be in alaska but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks again

· Registered
2,048 Posts
Magnus

It's really where you put it. I shot a moose a few years ago with a 67# longbow, 170 fps, 550 grain arrow and a Magnus II braodhead. Blew completely through and it was over 20 yards later. If it's sharp, it will get the job done.

· Registered
6,213 Posts
Thanks for all the great feedback. It helped at least to narrow my search to just a few, rather than a few hundred. Definitely not using a mechanical. By the way my moose hunt is in Ontario, would love for it to be in alaska but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks again
Don't feel too bad about not going to Alaska.;)There are a few bulls that aren't too shabby in Ontario. Top two are both Pope and Young. Bottom one was on a hunt that I had four days to hunt. Try to hunt the last week of September if possible. If you get frost or snow look out! The big boys will definitely get active. The big thing the last few years has been too much hot weather.I used Zwickey broadheads. Moose don't go too far if you hit them good and leave them alone

Nature Wilderness Nature reserve Natural landscape Tree
Good luck on your hunt.:thumbs_up

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.