Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty good bull on my trail camera. I have seen a couple of other elk and one smaller bull around, but I was pretty surprised when I saw this guy.

Now I just need a tag!!!!!!!

There were only a couple of does and some smaller bucks this week. On last Tuesday I went out and placed a new camera and saw a hoss of a buck in the same area as my stand and camera and am still hoping of getting some pics of him.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Real good bull.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
That is a dandy Elk, Nice picture

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
man!!!!!! what a dandy:eek:

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
In South Dakota none the less...:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for clearing the pics up guys.

South Dakota has some pretty good bulls down in the hills.

I may have seen this guy last year driving into my stand one morning.

But there wasn't many pics of any whitetails. Would the elk possibly be driving the deer out of my stand area? This is the fourth pic of an elk in the last 3 weeks.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
DBL, elk push deer, wherever they want, on the property we hunt elk on I have seen two does and three sets of deer tracks in 3 years hunting there. But that prop is loaded with elk. Bugling bulls scare the livin heck out of deer. Id say to not look for any good deer there until the elk rut is over!
Thats a good 310 bull as far as I can tell from the pic!
PM me if you want

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Here's an artist's rendition of him for your office wall:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Doc for the pic. That's pretty cool.

Thanks for the info 3DBIGBULLX. That definately explains the lack of deer on the trail cameras this week. I am going to go to our local archery club and see if anyone has an elk archery tag so I can point them in the right direction. Josh

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
haha, are they OTC :) haha
Yeah, if you get any pictures of bulls, its not a good spot for whitetails......especially this time of year.
Usually big bulls like him will have a 3-4 mile no-deer zone, but thats what it is around here. So if I get an elk, I will usually move about 4 miles, and setup for muleys, because elk do live in GREAT habitat, with lack of pressure.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3DBIGBULLX said:
haha, are they OTC :) haha
Yeah, if you get any pictures of bulls, its not a good spot for whitetails......especially this time of year.
Usually big bulls like him will have a 3-4 mile no-deer zone, but thats what it is around here. So if I get an elk, I will usually move about 4 miles, and setup for muleys, because elk do live in GREAT habitat, with lack of pressure.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wish the tags were over the counter. I'd be living out there this week. :tongue:

I saw a real good whitetail last Tuesday and really want to get a crack at him. He is a solid 150 class buck. But I may have to wait until the elk rut ends and they move off a little.

Our deer achery fires up Sept 23rd. But I will be in Quebec from Sept 20th to the 29th so I won't get to hunt archery opener anyway.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
That's a good bull and that's no bull

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Yeah, There are two, "sessions", of ovulation, thats where the cows come into esterous, the first being around the third week, then the unbred cows really can be "hot" until the end of the first week of October, but if I were you, Id be willing to try the first week of October!
Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts