Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never heard of "Canning" deer until last year. But an older guy I hunted with swore by it. I didn't think it sounded good, but then he cooked some up and I tried it and it WAS AWESOME. He cans the deer meat in jars just like you would tomatoes or beans...then when its time to cook a meal, you just heat it up and make a gravy from the juices and holy crap it was good. He said the canning recipe is what makes or breaks it...go figure, I didn't get his recipe! NEED HELP!

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Canning meat is very basic. Put the meat in the jars and fallow canning instructions. Venison will produce it's own liquid. You can also spice it up a little. You could marinade the meat first or put a dash of liquid smoke in it, you could put jalapeno slices in with it. Just have fun and enjoy. This canned meat can be eaten right out of the jar as well. cooking is not required.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canning meat is very basic. Put the meat in the jars and fallow canning instructions. Venison will produce it's own liquid. You can also spice it up a little. You could marinade the meat first or put a dash of liquid smoke in it, you could put jalapeno slices in with it. Just have fun and enjoy. This canned meat can be eaten right out of the jar as well. cooking is not required.
Thanks for the post. As I said in my original post, the guys that introduced me told me its all in the canning recipe. I've heard if you add too much salt when you can, the meat shrinks more and gets tough. I just hate to go through all of the work and waste a deer and have it turn out bad. Guess you can always add salt and spice later?:confused:
Good idea on adding some jalapeno's when you can...that sounds good!!!:wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.