Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I had a left shoulder injury which has resulted in ongoing problems. On a bad day, just lifting my arm into a position where it would be when holding a bow can hurt (feeling much like a strained muscle would).

A friend let me try drawing his bow (a 50# PSE) recently and although I was able to do it, I could tell that doing it repeatedly would become painful and eventually impossible.

I'm therefore going to look for compound bows (the let-off really helps...) in the 30-40# range, but most seem to be 50# or greater (aside from kid's bows). So before I head off to the local shops to try a few, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good models I should look at. I'd like to go in with some education.

Searching around, it seems that two of the best in this range are the Martin Scepter (40#) and the Hoyt Ultratec (30# and 40#).

I also saw that the PSE Supra comes in a 40# model, but only with the Stinger cams. That's what was on my friend's bow and I didn't like the feel of that "hump" effect. Looks like the Synergy Pro-65's would be smoother, but they only start at 50#.

This will only be for indoor/outdoor target shooting. No 3D or hunting.

Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
"outdoor target shooting."

If you are thinking of outdoor target shooting you might want to look at a more reflexed riser model, like a cybertec. and some light A/C or carbon arrows. 30-40#'s doesn't give you a lot of ommmf and a more reflexed bow might help. You might want to try before you buy if your shoulder bothers you, some cam cycles are harsher than others, and may feel even more so with an injured shoulder...

-CG

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
BOWTECH

I would look at a Bowtech Pro40 Wheely or Pro 40 Dullay.

You can get either one in 40lb max and a long draw length. Both bows will be an excellant target bow. Check them out.

www.bowtecharchery.com

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the responses guys.

Sure doesn't look like many options exist below 50#. I see the PSE site now shows their 2004 line-up and even the 40# Supra has been dropped. And unlike the Mach-11 which started at 50#, the Mach-12 now starts at 60#. At this rate, I may really end up with a kids bow... :D

Hopefully one of the Martin, Hoyt, or Bowtech bows will work for me. And hopefully there will actually be shops around here which have models for me to try. Looking in the Yellow Pages, everything seems geared towards bowhunting - which will probably mean 50# and heavier draws.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Whats your draw length? Hoyt has a bow called the Sapphire which is a low pound target shooter. I dont think you can get them new anymore though.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
DP Roberts;

I wouldn't be so quick to give up. PSE does have a custom build option. If you see an authorized PSE dealer they can order a bow with the spec's you are looking for. Same with deal with Hoyt, I know you can get down to at least the 35# range with some Hoyt models. PM GRIV or PUG and see what they can do for you with Martin's.

:)

-CG

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Hoyts do have a 30lb range target limbs. For some of their models like the Ultratec, RAzortec, Protec, and some others. Bow would be 20lbs-30lbs.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Rotator Cuff Injury?

Your description of the pain and position of the arm is consistant with a rotator cuff injury. If so, why not just get it over with, have the surgery and then shoot any bow you like?
Jbird

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Martin makes a full line of bows with peak weights below 50#, starting with the Jaguar(under $300) all the way up to the Scepter 3. All Martin bows feature a full 15 lb. weight adjustment range, as well as adjustabloe draw length. Here's a look at the Jaguar.MARTIN ARCHERY

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PSE_Maverick - When I used to shoot ~15 years back (post-injury) I was a 29" draw. So is my friend, and his bow seemed to draw perfectly for me - so I guess draw lengths don't change over time. :)

clever_guy - I didn't know PSE could customize like that. I was just going by their web site. One of the shops near me is an authorized PSE dealer, so maybe I'll start there. I should be stopping in this coming week. Thanks very much for letting me know about this!

Ian - From the various dealer sites I've looked at, Hoyt does seem to have the largest number of bows with the lowest draw weights available (most seem to offer a 30-80# range). I wonder why? Maybe it's the split limb technology?

Jbird - Yes, I have also always thought it was a rotator cuff injury. I usually have to raise the arm higher than my shoulder to feel any pain. Can't even remember how it happened or when it started though. I've had the problem for many years now and have tried various weight training excercises over those years years without it getting any worse or better. But to be honest, I've had extremely bad experience with medical treatment (literally almost dying once due to a misdiagnosis) and now tend to deal with pain rather than with doctors... :(

JDES900X - When you say 15# range, do you mean I can adjust a 50# bow down as low as 35#? If so, that really opens up my options. Based on how a 50# felt, I'm thinking 40# will be viable for me. Hopefully with a 40# bow and some carbon arrows the lack of power won't be so bad.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why ARE bows set up for such heavy draws anyway, when I keep seeing articles about how many people out there are drawing too heavy because they think it's just macho? Where is the market for guys who take THAT advice seriously and decide they'll be better off ditching the heavier-is-better attitude in favor of bows that will ultimately work better for them, regardless of whether or not the numbers give an ooh-ah impression, even if not required by an injury? Or, is it that pretty much everyone ignores those essays and doesn't follow their advice to shoot lighter? Or, is it that these essays are taken seriously, but the amount they're talking about is smaller than it sounded (like 5-10 pounds of difference instead of 20-30)?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
JDES900X - When you say 15# range, do you mean I can adjust a 50# bow down as low as 35#? If so, that really opens up my options. Based on how a 50# felt, I'm thinking 40# will be viable for me. Hopefully with a 40# bow and some carbon arrows the lack of power won't be so bad.
Yes, as a matter of fact, Martin would be glad to build you a 30-45# custom weight range. That way, you'll be closer to the top end of the limbs to maximize performance. Martin sells tons of bows in this weight range for that reason. Another great feature of the bows I mentioned is the draw length adjustment range. The Jag Mag has an adjustable Fuzion cam with a draw range of 25"-30" on the same cam, just by switching the replaceable modules on the cam. A complete module pack is provided with every bow.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I Understand...

I know exacactly what you are saying,I also have the same problem(2yrs.) now.Not only draw weight is a concern but also total bow weight(bow,sight,stabilizer,and rest).After alot of trying and changeing in equipment,includeing bows this is what I've found to be best suited so I can continue to enjoy archery on a DAILEY basis.1-Martin Phantom,40lb-45lb dr.wgth,fury and furyX cams .2- Merlin Max,40lb-45lbs. dr. wght,wheels,rapid cam #4 with a rp5 module's. Both of these bows will shoot any venue you choose and indoors or outdoors.Both companys WILL help you to the fullest.I'm sure there are others out there capable of the same but I doubt they will or would go to the extreme of customer service and satisfaction as mentioned above.Now your search should be over....do you want to keep shooting...or keep on asking and typeing????>>----Skip--->(x) IMO.!

·
Registered
212 Posts
C.P.Oneida has the Pro Eagle & Black Eagle bow models with draw weight ranges as low as 35#-55# & a the Hawk model with a draw weight range of 25#-45# although the draw lenght on the Hawk may be to short for you. They are extremely easy & smooth to draw. Most people who have drawn my bows guess the draw weight to be 5#-10# lower than what it is actually set at. Whatever you decide on look for a smooth draw this will make life easier on your shoulder, a harsh draw cycle can be hard on healthy joints................................................................DF1

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
BowTech Pro40 Wheely. That bows draws so smoothly & easily you may be able to shoot it at 50#. If not, they are available in 40#. Let off can be set at 65 or 80% with the draw modules. You won't feel any vibration or recoil at the shot, either. It's not just the draw that can cause pain.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I had rotator cuff repair last year and coming back to shooting was very hard. I found a Alpine impact one that was 40 to 50 weight, 29 inch draw and only 3.4 lbs in weight. I shoot it with easton epic carbon 500 and 100 gr tips.My problem was the ability to again lift and hold the bow after the repair operation, the low physical weight of the bow and at first I had the bow only at 35 lbs helped a great deal...now I have the bow maxed out at 53 lbs and still shooting it, love the bow, light and shoots a great arrow...take a look at the alpine line up of bows..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Draw

If you can't find a bow with a draw weight that is low enough, you can buy a bow with a longer draw length-(about 1.5") and then make/buy a string which is 1.5" shorter, this will bring the draw weight down by about 8-10#.

Having a similar problem, I shortened a 60#(max' draw weight) Bear bow string by 1.5" and it went down to 50# with the limbs tight,
then I opened up the limb bolts by 3 turns and went down to 35#.
Two years later (- slow healing at my age), I brought it gradually back
to 50# and it works fine.

Good shooting,

Mike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts