Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How I killed a few hours at work today. Your tax dollars hard at it! For those interested, she's a 5-6 year old, captive whitetail. She has been ADR (Vet speak for aint doin right) for a few days. Snotty nose, off feed. After a shot of antibiotics and banamine, we'll see if she perks up. I always jump at the chance to get out of the office when one of our deer needs attention (that's me on the right). It was pretty cool today because our 6 yearling bucks are all out of velvet now (some with a few shreds left and bloody antlers). They are starting to get frosty, pushing and shooving. Some days work aint so bad.
And YES, the Texas hill country whitetails are THAT small!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
BowD,
Is that a tranquilizer dart in YOUR neck?!
:D

Bo

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BoHunter,
That's the earpiece of a stethascope poking me in the neck. The old girl got all of the tranq juice!
Javelina,
Yep, the quadrangle at Ft. Sam.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
BowD,
I honestly thought it was some kind of LARGE piercing of some sort. Never even made the connection! Too funny.

How much does that thing weigh?

Bo

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BoHunter,
The Army doesn't take too kindly to us poking big peices of hardware through our skin... something like that would get me unemployed FAST! The little darlin' probably goes about 100-115 pounds live weight, give or take a few pounds. I killed one about the same size as her last winter and she dressed out at a whopping 75 pounds! They just don't get very big bodies here in the hill country. A P&Y class hill country buck reminds me of the dog in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" with the little bitty body and great big antlers.
Our captive herd sure is fun to have around though. They also are a very good barometer to what is happening in the woods as far as rutting behavior. ;)

oh, btw, my new avatar is a new addition to our herd (late arrival) that hit the ground about a month ago. I just took that picture today also.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Dude, I could haul one of those out on my back.. LOL

and Im not a big man.
Dylan

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dylan,
The doe I shot last winter... I tied her four legs together and carried her out like a purse, over one shoulder. They ain't big, but they sure are tasty!:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
What kind of millitary job do you have BowD? I would love to have a job like that.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blindman,
We have Veterinary units in the Army. I am the First Sergeant of one of them. We take care of all matters critter related. Dogs, horses, deer, bison, deer, goats, pigs, etc... You'd be amazed at the critters that Uncle Sam owns. We even take care of the dogs that sniff your baggage (and do other unspeakable things to your stuff:eek: ) at the airport.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That sounds like a very cool job BowD. I only got to work on electronics when I was at Bragg. Your job would be alot more fun in my apinion. Are there any of you guys in combat areas at this time? GOD Bless and Thanks to all the troops.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blindman,

Yes

I say a little prayer for them every morning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts