Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be a good one for a beginner? never tried it before ,but some how im always needing to refletch a vain.kind of a pain having to take them back to the shop from time to time.any advise?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Most will say the Bitz is the best and I wont say it isnt, but I have had excellent results out of my Grayling (Plastic Bitz copy) and it was only about 1/2 the price of the Bitz.

:cocktail: LastCall:cocktail:

·
Anointed Arrows
1,088 Posts
A Good Fletching Jig is.......

Whatever one you purchase...and learn to use...Have heard the Bitz is it, but for $29.95 my BPE has done a great job on quite a few dozens of arrows...I haven't heard much bad about any of the jigs...only that some are the preferred or considered the best....I don't fletch arrows for a living so mine works great for me. If I want to do archery I have to keep it inside the family budget....which has proven to be a blessing...as I appreciate greatly the kit that God has supplied me with...

Some wise sage once said, " it ain't the bow, it's the Indian.:wink:

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Bitzenberger , have had mine for 10+ years and counting ....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bitz. I've tried three different jigs and none of them come close to the Bitz in quality. The initial investment will be worth it. It took me three jigs ($100+), before I bought the Bitz. Should have bought it first.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
826 Posts
Buy the Bitz! If you buy anything else you will always wonder "what if"
so just buy the best first. It will last forever and if you decide you dont want it you will get almost all your money back when you sell it on here.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Bitz, Bitz, Bitz...do it right the 1st time

·
Registered
539 Posts
What many others have said buy the Bitz. and be done with it,one purchase that will last you and your grandkids lifetimes. I bought mine after talking to an older gentleman working at Gander Mtn. and he said he has had his since the late 70's if I remember correctly. I figure if it lasted that long then it had to be worth the investment to own one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bitzberger is the one. I have the same one since 1969. I started 25 years ago making customer arrows. I now am retired and still use to make up the arrows with feathers on it. I did go 5 years ago to a 6 arrow setup for vanes. But the Bitz still goes on and on. I think in 1969 I paid a big $24 for it and it came with 2 clamps setup. But I was making a big $85 a week. Now wait a minute gee maybe things having changed that much, being retired SS, I think I get from SS about the same $85 week. I better get back to making more custom arrows to pay for gas, food, and also those other little things that our govt does not feel that is part of everyday living when they tell you how good things are.

·
>>>--Shoot Em' Up---->
19,494 Posts
I use a Arizone EZ Fletch Right Helical Jig. It's cheap and effective. For the price it aint bad. You can find pretty good deals on E-bay for them. They sell for anywhere from $35 to $40 a piece.

At Country Archery,Don Stout uses a Bitzenburger Fletching Jig. It's a little more expensive,but long term well worth the money. They sell for anywhere from $70 to $80 a piece. I built my arrows last night with the Bitz Jig and it was very user friendly. A great Fletching Jig. :)

With whatever ya decide to buy, it is fun and enjoyable to build your own arrows. With practice and determination anyone can do it. :D :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
i'LL 2nd the Grayling.Got mine for $20 and you can buy clamps for $9

·
Registered
518 Posts
Bohning and Grayling jigs

These are heavy gauge plastic and do a fantastic job. The largest archery retailer in the US does not even sell Bitzenberger jigs and for 43 years have been using multiple Jo Jan 6 arrow jigs to fletch tens of thousands of arrows.

We are not talking precision scientific instruments. The clamp and magnet have to sit securely in one position and it has to rotate 120 degrees with each fletch, period. Whether base metal or plastic, it doesen't matter.

The Bohning runs about $25 on eBay and if you manage to NOT glue the clamp shut, it will last you a lifetime and fletch a perfect arrow every time.

Bitz will do that as well and put a nice gouge in your hard wood floors if you drop it or your dog/kid/spouse knocks it over.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Doesn't matter which clamp you get if you use it correctly. There are plenty of models out there. A single style clamp will work fine for repairs, or for making your own arrows. I liked my multi jig right from the start however.
I purchased my first Jo-Jan multi about 16 years ago. I still use it daily, along with others like it for shop use. I can't even begin to imagine how many thousands of arrows have been through them. Setting the jig to straight, Left/Right offset, or L/R helix is a snap too. They do however require different clamps, like the others do still.
I'm suprised one of the other companies hasn't made a multi jig yet. Its so much nicer to do a half dozen at a time on the same jig. They come out exactly the same every time. The rotating table with many single clamps works well also, but is a very, very expensive way to go.
As mentioned above, you can get glue on the clamps. It is a good idea to use tape to protect your clamps. It makes it very easy to clean excess glue from them as well.
JMO,
Jerry

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a Grayling and I hate it. The black plastic is now white from the glue. The clamp doesn't always hold the fletching to the arrow tight. Most of the time I have to put pressure on the clamp to hold it down to the shaft.

If you want to get a good single fletch jig I would go with the mono Jo Jan or the Bitz. If you want to do all three vanes at once then get the Arizona Archery jig. I have a friend that uses it and he wouldn't want anything else. He actually gave his Bitz to his brother since he doesn't use it anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts