Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, This is my first post, it sure is fun to read your comments and to see the same excitement for the sport that I experience.
As I read your comments it seems that alot of you guys are able to tighten yorur groups right up to nothing. As hard as I try 6 to 8 inch groups at 40 yds. is the best I can seem to pull off. Whats the secret? How do you start to suck those groups up tight.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
As cliche as it sounds my man, practice, practice, practice. The further you go, the better and more consistent your form has to be. Just be patient, focus on EVERY shot, and in due time, you'll be one of the guys with the tight groups you're talking about ;)

·
(aka lug nut)
48,368 Posts
xcv8tor said:
Hi Guys, This is my first post, it sure is fun to read your comments and to see the same excitement for the sport that I experience.
As I read your comments it seems that alot of you guys are able to tighten yorur groups right up to nothing. As hard as I try 6 to 8 inch groups at 40 yds. is the best I can seem to pull off. Whats the secret? How do you start to suck those groups up tight.
Welcome to ArcheryTalk xcv8tor:

It only requires three things....

1) Adjust the bow to fit you
2) Adjust yourself to fit the bow
3) Adjust the arrows to fit the bow and you

1) Adjusting the bow to fit you means to find that perfect draw length setting
so you can shoot the best groups possible. Lot's of room for improvement here, most times.

2) Adjusting yourself to fit the bow, means working on your form, your body position in relation to the arrow at full draw, adjusting your foot position in relation to the target line (arrow flight path).

3) Adjusting the arrows to match the draw weight and the bow draw length setting.

Lots of experience shooters can help you with each of these three areas.

You can do a search on my posts and you will find hundreds of responses to folks who have questions about their form.

You will need to learn about tuning your bow.

You can search about cam timing, creep tuning, walk back tuning, adjusting the 2nd and 3rd axis for your sight, and bare shaft tuning.

You can search about arrow stiffness, and dynamic spine. Adding tip weight will weaken arrow behavior. Adding nock weight will stiffen arrow behavior. You can add weight to the nock end with heavier vanes and/or adding an arrow wrap.

Reducing weight on the nock end of the arrow will weaken an arrow, e.g., switching from vanes to feathers.

Reducing weight on the point end of the arrow, will stiffen an arrow. Find the right arrow combination for your draw weight,
and your draw length and your groups will get better.

Learn how to use archery software, like OnTarget2! at www.pinwheelsoftware.com

When you have a more specific question
about any of these three areas, we can help you.

For now, read as much as you can here on Archery Talk.

Take a look at the Bow Tuning Section
and look through the "stickys" at the top of the page.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
N&B is right. It takes a lot to get tiny groups at long range. Lots of tuning and practice. I shoot great groups (no numbers-flaming happens here:eek:) and it is a matter of being anal about bow tune and shooting the heck out of my bows with real concentration on form. Get 'er tuned and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm with ya

I was always a 30 yard guy for the last 20 years bowhuntin only but this year I got into shootin leagues indoors and out so I have to hit these small spots a 45 yards.I had a small ata bow[31.25] but recently switched to a 34 ata hoping it will help tighten my groups some also paying alot more attention to all the details of bow tuning,form and practice.I also learned a ton off this sight, on it daily great knowledge here.I know what you mean,there is a guy on tuesday night league that shoots a better group than me at 25 and hes shooting 45 yards with his hunting set up.I'll keep working at it..

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
shoot about 10,000 more arrows and your groups will be tighter.

try aiming for smaller spots, making you challenge yourself more.

you gotta remember....most of the people shooting those tight groups have shot thousands of arrows. that sounds like a lot but it's not for those of us who have been into archery for years and shoot every single day.

keep practicing....you can do it!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
As hard as I try 6 to 8 inch groups at 40 yds. is the best I can seem to pull off. Whats the secret? How do you start to suck those groups up tight.

When your DRAW LENGTH is absolutely dead-nuts perfect, your groups will start shrinking.

It made a BIG difference for me when I started shooting out to 60 yards.

If you are a bow hunter who limits their shot to 20 - 25 yards, it may not make such a big difference to have a DL that is 1" too long.

But.........you never know when that buck-of-a-lifetime "hangs up" at 35 yards, and there is nothing you can do.

I think it is better to "give up" 10 fps for the added benefit of increased accuracy and consistency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts