Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Custom callmaker
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that alot of the info is geared toward target, so I am going to ask what is a good release for hunting?

I shoot with a loop but I would like to be able to use it on the string just in case the loop fails.(emergancy)

Also I probable will not be back tension for hunting. I like the looks of the jim fletcher releases (caliper release). Is it an accurate and well built release?

I would like to go with a wrist wrapp style and either a cord or a strap connecter to minimize any torque.

Any opinions, or concerns on types of releases are welcome.

·
74,535 Posts
Release

Carter one shot
Scott Mongoose
Both good releases.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
carter lokjaw 2000
scott little bitty goose
both excellent releases and very quiet
rob k

·
Custom callmaker
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the difference in the mongoose and the little bitty goose?

To me I would think the release that has a taper would be more accurate than the ones that seem to hook the loop and hold it against the flat side? Have you ever have a release handg up on the hook side? or is it tappered to let it slide?

I am looking in the catalogs and mag. nearest dealer is 1/2 hr away.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good Hunting Release

Madarchery,

You might want to take a look at copper johns eagle realeases.
I purchased one a few weeks ago and after some small adjustments its one of the best wrist strap releases I've ever had.
It works great with a loop. It would also work very well off the string if need be. Just a opinon!

Good Shooting!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
What's the secret to the Copper John?
I just got a 3 finger to mess around with, usually use a index finger release.
Should the trigger be all the way at the base of the middle finger or should it be somewhere else.
I have some wicked mis-shot with this thing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Copper John Eagle

The copper john is a good release. You have to adjust the length of the release where the trigger is againist the pad of your finger above the 1st joint or knuckle. you have to play with the length a few times to get it correct when you draw your bow. Once you get that adjusted. Its a matter of adjusting trigger travel and tension. You must have it adjusted where you are pulling the weight of the bow with your wrist. When you are at full draw you wrap your fingers around the handle and trigger making a fist. when the trigger is set right the release will firer with the tension from your fingers pulling tension on the release housing. the first 50 shots will fill strange. but after you set it up properly and shot it for a short time it will shoot very nicely for you. If you are use to a index finger release it will take some getting use to. But it is well worth it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
madarchery said:
Whats the difference in the mongoose and the little bitty goose?

To me I would think the release that has a taper would be more accurate than the ones that seem to hook the loop and hold it against the flat side? Have you ever have a release handg up on the hook side? or is it tappered to let it slide?

I am looking in the catalogs and mag. nearest dealer is 1/2 hr away.
the difference is the little bitty goose is a tethered release and is easy to adjust to your set up for shooting. it is also excellent for loop or string but i shot mine with a loop it is smaller than the goose and very tapere compared to the goose. you will like the idea of the head and will improve your release on your loop as it is a single jawed release as is the one shot and lock jaw
robk

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I second the Copper John Eagle. I have the 2 finger and I live it. It's a lot harder to punch than a caliper release. I shoot it the same way as McArcher and I find that it is best to set the trigger pull pretty heavy, but with as little travel as possible without causing misfires.

D

·
0 Posts
TRU-BALL Thumb pull...

...after I used it the first time...it's all I ever use...it's a handheld model...not a strap on type...

...can "clip" it on the loop and have "hands free" for bino's, rangefinder or a quick snack:) ...

...the "head" swivels so you NEVER have "torque" issues and can also be shot from the string!!...put an extra "cushion button" on the string and you can clip it on the string and leave it there to!!...

...others that have been mentioned are also good...but I like the TRU-BALL thumb pull model(mine is an older model and I don't know if they still make it)...got it off of E-BAY a few yeere's back:cool: ...

...Good hunting!!...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Cobra!

I've shot Cobra releases for ever and they are the best hunting release of ever seen! And they are only about 30 bucks too!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used a Scott Little Bitty Goose for a while, but there was so much creep in the trigger that I found it hard to get a clean release. I now use a Tru Ball Loopmaster. Clean breaking trigger. It works very well for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts