Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I was lucky enough to find a berry patch used by a couple black bears and no other hunters. I was also lucky enough to kill one with my rifle there this year. Next year, one of my major hunting goals is to take one from there with my recurve out of a tree stand. The problem isn't going to be getting a shot, but rather recovering the bear afterward. The berry patch is surrounded by a sea of manzanita brush that is just the devil to get thru, let alone track a bear thru. So, I was thinking of using a string tracker. I played with one a decade ago, but never shot anything with one. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I played around with one years ago, never used it on game because I didn't like the weight of the rig I had. However, it shot fine at pratice.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Anybody have a picture of these things? I've heard about them before and heard it was like just a fishing rig?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
string tracker
I still have one somewhere in my junk. Worthless, problematic, can really screw up the flight of an arrow. As soon as arrow breaks or dislodges, the string trail is useless. String gets tangled around brush and trees and immediately breaks. Don't know what the results would be with a through and through shot. But outcome can't be any better, if not worse.

I wouldn't want to be holding on a bow if the string snagged in the reel.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I found the Gametracker quite useful . Never had flight issues. Great for your set up you described. I never roamed around with one attached. I used it for the last couple of hours of the day sitting in my stand. Sage

·
Registered
320 Posts
SCS, The Gametracker attaches in your stabilizer hole if you have one.There is no reel ,you don't wind in your deer:) Just tie on string behind broadhead.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I never had any flight problems testing the thing at 15/20 yards. I have one in my collection of stuff. Again, I never used it on game. The law of gagets made mine a thing to collect but never use.
(mikes law of adding gagets - All gagets introduce variables)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts