Archery Talk Forum banner

Good starter Bow

512 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Deezlin
What would be a good starter set for me? I have very limited experiance with bows and arrows but always wanted to learn to be a good shooter with one. I would practice with my brothers several years ago when we were younger and always loved them. So now I decided to buy one but I want a good learner bow. I run a sportsman forum and archery is a subject I don't know alot about, so I need to learn.

By the way my brother killed his first of many Whitetails with a bow.:)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
Good starter bow

epic37311:

Need more information. Do you have a budget in mind? Are you planning to hunt or outdoor target shoot or indoor target shoot? You have a choice to shoot with a mechanical release aid or you can shoot off the fingers. presume you want to shoot a compound bow.

For a starter bow, I recommend you purchase a major brand, popular model bow from the AT classified section. I would purchase purchase from someone who has posted many times here on AT and has recent feedback in the Classifieds Trader Feedback forum. You will get a great price and if you don't like the bow, you can easily resell the bow.

If you plan to hunt, you will be interested in a short bow for mobility purposes, say 36-inches or less.

If you plan to target shoot, then a longer axle bow will generally be easier to shoot accurately on a consistent basis, say 36-inches and greater.

A higher brace height is easier to shoot accurately for a beginner, something at least 7-inches in brace height or more.

Some bows are draw-specific, i.e. to change the draw length you will need to purchase a new set of cams, which is an added expense. Some bows allow draw length changes by simply moving a screw on draw length module, which means that you can adjust the draw length over a 2-3 inch range with a screwdriver and nothing else.

Drawlength and draw weight are the two primary choices. Draw length can be approximated if you take your wingspan (arms horizontal and measure max distance between your fingertips) and divide by 2.5, e.g ws = 72 inches, and approximate dl = 29 inches roughly.

jonnybow is selling in the AT classifieds a Martin Razor X with elite limbs, no accessories, with custom strings by Mike Carter of Carters Archery (aka Crackers) for $350. The strings are worth over $100 alone. This is a 43-inch bow, with 3-inches of adjustment for drawlength. This bow would cost as much as $700-800 new. This is only one example.

· Registered
3,538 Posts
If you are running a sport forum you might well need to learn about shooting off fingers and with release aids. You can shoot a long AtoA bow with fingers or release aids.

· Registered
699 Posts
down to basics

personally i believe that you should buy a longer axle to axle bow that would able you to shoot fingers frist then move to a release later. the reason for this ,it gives you more expereance on form ect.Also you my want to take some classes to get you on your way. You may want to start with a recurve to get started as i'm not sure if you can get a longer ata bow any more . good luck

· Registered
9,202 Posts
Todzilla said:
personally i believe that you should buy a longer axle to axle bow that would able you to shoot fingers frist then move to a release later. the reason for this ,it gives you more expereance on form ect.Also you my want to take some classes to get you on your way. You may want to start with a recurve to get started as i'm not sure if you can get a longer ata bow any more . good luck
Of course you can. Even in budget line of bows one can find longer ATA bows - i.e. PSE Dakota with its 40'' ATA.
And Dakota is considerably less than $300. But if he's lucky he could find a fine used bow here on AT classifieds or on ebay.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
I would get a good shooting bow which is not too draw specific and draw length can be changed easily. I would want to be able to change th let-off as well. For my money, I would choice the Martin Cougar 4 Elite with Nitrous cams.

http://www.martinarchery.com/?page=bows&bow=c4cougar&direct=options

It is a very versatile bow which can be shot with release or finger. It has a 15# draw weight adjustment range and a about 2" or better of draw length adjustment. I would stay away from high poundage and use 75% let-off at first. 55 or 60# max. is my recommendation. Which would allow you to start at 40 or 45# for beginning practice. I would also buy it from a pro shop with a range and would get some basic lessons and determine the accessories you would like to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.