Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

New here and looking to get my first bow. Im an older guy just started late. Was wondering what you guys think would be a great starter bow that is good enough that I wont have to buy another bow when I get more familiar with the sport? Also, what are the must have accessories? Sorry if this has been asked a 1000 times, I figured I would post instead of search to help get my posts up so I can buy a bow off this site. Thanks in advance for any replies!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a great response! Thank You! I had no idea where to even begin so I guess im off to a few places to get some measurements! The only questions I could really answer at this time would be:

Are you using it for target or hunting? --Hunting
What's your budget? --Budget isn't an issue

I will go and get some number I suppose. There's a Fin Feather and Fur not too far from me,... gives me something to do in the morning when I get outta work lol! Thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any other questions I should have answered for myself when I go in? Like anything else to get measured, look for, know about? Sorry im a complete newbie!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Deal! I appreciate all the information you have started me off with in just a couple posts! Thanks Again!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are completely new to archery, it may be helpful to sign up for a class. The class will work on form, which is huge for shooting accuracy.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If I were new, I am sure I would look for something new and shiny. That will not help you shoot any better. There are several older bows that can be had for a lot less. I would look for a used Mathews Switchback or Switchback XT. I believe they are both good bows to start with. Another newer bow to look at would be an Elite Synergy. All of these bows can be had for a decent price and have all of the characteristics a new archer would appreciate. I wish you the best. It is always great to see new additions to the sport. God bless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree a good used flagship is a good bow but I don’t agree that they are best for new archers. I recommend a new or used extremely adjustable bow. New archers need to focus on form and enjoy shooting a bow so having the ability to adjust draw length and weight easily and across a wide scale is optimal. If a new shooter enjoys it they will more likely stick with it and then a used flagship or new bow of any sort can be more appropriate. The adjustable bow gives them to opportunity to learn and then know what they will need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
I would recommend you not be swayed by speed, there is a trade off for speed in the form of shorter brace height, more aggressive cams, and shorter ATA (all things I wouldn't recommend for a beginner unless you are really short and have a short draw length. another thing is how old are you? you might want to get a light bow if you are a senior, just something I have come to appreciate with age. YOU MUST learn to shoot a bow, it's not a gun, technique is critical, so whats your plan? Lessons should be in your game plan. Who will set up and maintain this equipment? You mentioned the classifieds, if you intend to buy a used bow, you must be sure of your draw length, some bows are easy to change the draw length, others require parts and require a bow press (CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE YOU BUY) I would buy a bow press and draw board before I bought a used bow! WHAT YOU SAY! You could end up paying $200-300 to get your bow set up if you need new strings and a cam change. Do your research before you buy. Poundage, go low most bows have a 10 pound range, so get like a 40-50, or a 50-60 pound bow, start on lowest setting, purchase arrows for the highest setting and leave them 2" too long and use hot melt on the inserts so you can cut off 1 inch for every 5 pounds you turn it up later. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all!

New here and looking to get my first bow. Im an older guy just started late. Was wondering what you guys think would be a great starter bow that is good enough that I wont have to buy another bow when I get more familiar with the sport? Also, what are the must have accessories? Sorry if this has been asked a 1000 times, I figured I would post instead of search to help get my posts up so I can buy a bow off this site. Thanks in advance for any replies!
As was already said, get to some shops and whichever one is coolest to you get them to set you up on a bow that works for you. I bought and older used bow on Craigslist first but honestly wish i had just bit the bullet and gone to a shop. The smoother and more accurate the bow, the more addicted you’ll get.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I started shooting at age 65 with a PSE Stinger 3g, 70 lb. Then I got a Brute, also 70 lbs. Either one will be plenty fast, easy to adjust, pretty easy to tune, and very reliable. Don’t forget, a $300 used bow is going to need a rest, sight and stabilizers, each of which can easily go $250. IMHO, the most important thing for accuracy is getting your draw length correct, and the PSE bows are easily adjustable without a press.

·
Registered
Southwest Archery Tiger Shark recurve. 35 pounds., martin eliminator HT compound
37 Posts
You might want to look at a recurve / traditional bow instead of a compound bow. At least don't rule them out without trying them!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Archery Talk Forum

·
Registered
Southwest Archery Tiger Shark recurve. 35 pounds., martin eliminator HT compound
37 Posts
I started out at 68 yes old. Using a southwest archery tigershark 35 lb receive bow.* It is great fun to shoot. I do target and 3 d barebow

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Archery Talk Forum

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started with a used Diamond Infinite Edge. An inexpensive starter bow, especially used. Very flexible settings, and by virtue I was able to learn some tuning fundamentals myself.

Bowtech Experience / QAD Ultra Pro / Spot Hogg Tommy / Black Eagle 🇨🇦

·
Registered
166 Posts
You will get different answers from different people. It's best to shoot many different bows before you make a decision. Don't just pick a bow based on the brand, many bows out there are amazing and people won't give them a chance because they aren't the brand of bow all their friends are shooting.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can pick up an used Obsession for 400 bucks and have it tuned up by a shop. Save a ton of money and still get accuracy and speed. Once you get your draw length and weight just pick up a used bow. The market is saturated beyond relief right now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts