Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna be hunting my 80 acres soon, a little over a month ago my neighbor that we kinda share land with got a nice buck on camera i was thinking about using some dominate buck lure to see if i could get him to come in. hunting in mn and it has been getting into the 30s that past week and a half. Im not sure if he is still around or not but would really like a chance at this buck any tips help!! Thanks!! Deer cam pic to come soon. Wildlife Woodland Nature Deer Nature reserve

·
Archery Addict
9,312 Posts
That dominant duck lure is not all its quacked up to be! Dominant buck lure around that buck will have him hightailing it into the next county.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any other scent i could try? Or maybe a mock scrape? or should i just put the time in and hope he comes around?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I don't think you'll have any issues using dominant urine around him. He's probably in the top 2 or 3 bucks in your area. All three of them will compete. Ever see a mediocre 8 point kick the ass of a 150" 10 point?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you're nervous though, just try doe urine.

I personally don't use scents except as a cover scent...just risky IMO. You have to place it somewhere which means you have a good chance of leaving human odor close to it.

P.S. don't put buck lure on your clothes....you never know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's what ill end up doing is using some doe urine. Gonna put in some long days in the woods this week, hopefully get a glance at him. Thanks for the opinions!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
If you are in mn you need to be in stand the last 2 weeks of Oct. and right up until opening day of gun season in Nov.
I hunt also in mn and those couple weeks before gun season are by far the best two or 3 weeks during archery season.
I have seen many mature bucks in late Oct. and early Nov.

9,176 Posts
Have you found the primary scrape yet? If you have, leave all of the scents behind and set up down wind of the scrape by 50yards at the closest. You use the dominant lure here and the other fellow is right...you will probably send this youngster running. This is a 3 1/2 year old buck....a nice buck at that but granddad has not come around here and that is why he is here. Cheers!
Fred

·
Registered
37,129 Posts
To early to use it yet IMO. Im not a big fan of scents anyway since most over the counter store bought stuff is garbage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, I have not found the primary scrape. My problem is I need to kind of lure him to my bow stand which is about a 100 yards from where this picture was taken. I'm not real sure if he is even in the area still, just kinda hoping he is.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Having only 80 acres to hunt, and the photo being 8/12; it's very likely that buck won't even be around once he sheds velvet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts