Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, So I outgrew my old long underwear, and I am needing some for bow season here in eastern nebraska. I really like the underarmour cold gear, but it is so darn expensive. 100 bucks for just a long sleeve shirt and pants! I don't have that kind of money. Does anyone know a good base layer for hunting in 30-50 degree weather, with light bowhunting clothing on? I would also like some when it gets really cold during rifle season, but I have pretty warm clothing for that, so that comes as a second priority to my archery clothing.
Thanks Alot,
Jonny B.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have not tried anything else but underarmour is some great stuff. I had some for the first time this past season and was amazed at how good that stuff is. It is a little expensive but is great.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not tried anything else but underarmour is some great stuff. I had some for the first time this past season and was amazed at how good that stuff is. It is a little expensive but is great.
I know! I just don't think I will have enough money to buy it!:mad:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
BCG (I believe that is the brand) at academy. Starter brand at wal-mart. I have worn this stuff for years and it performs the same as the UA gear I own. All it does is wick moisture and allow your skin to breath. Wear cold gear without a jacket if you are skeptical...you will freeze your satchel off. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
IMO Under Armor under wear sucks ...really over rated. If it's cold and you stop moving you freeze it gets stinky easy too.

First Lite Merino ... Now that is product that works like it should

Cold Gear just kept me cold .....

I like their other products but not the under garments ... Really hyped and advertised ...take it to the limits... You won't be happy

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
IMO Under Armor under wear sucks ...really over rated. If it's cold and you stop moving you freeze it gets stinky easy too.

First Lite Merino ... Now that is product that works like it should

Cold Gear just kept me cold .....

I like their other products but not the under garments ... Really hyped and advertised ...take it to the limits... You won't be happy
Throw your UA type (moisture wicking) gear on under your merino... same principle as moisture wicking socks under wool socks. Does nothing more than keep you dry.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
Throw your UA type (moisture wicking) gear on under your merino... same principle as moisture wicking socks under wool socks. Does nothing more than keep you dry.
Posted via Mobile Device
First lite does all that by itself for me...

I threw my UA in the garbage only good for mild cold if that or somebody that isn't moving allot to perspire . I spent many a miserable day wearing mine

Glad it works for others it should.... It's expensive. I'd buy the Wally knock offs and wear it in the 1st season

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Hey Stix..did you even read what the OP posted? He said he didn't have $100 to spend on a cool to cold weather layer and you get on his thread singing the praises of something costing more than the UA stuff. He asked for a bargain alternative, not something better.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,391 Posts
under armour

I am NOT any sort of FAN of under armours capability to keep me warm in the cold weather treestand hunting....

Being i live in south florida I really do like the under armour "heat" line for the hot temps down here and working out lifting weights and jogging/cardio.

For a liteweight base layer for moderate temps,,,,which is to me 30-50,,,(I dont call that cold,,,,,though 30 can get ya if you dont dress warm enough) I would use something from Patagonia,,,or something that was poly based with wicking abilities. you can also include some lite weight merino wools like justin charles type stuff. I even wear a pair of synthetic made material sweat pants as a base if i want one in these temps. normally these temps don't bother me much. Its those teens and below that get me.

Cabelas and Bass Pro have their own line up of base layers that are inexpensive and somewhat functional for these temps,,,,but I wouldn't use in colder temps.

When it really gets cold,,,like in the teens and below,,,,i'm layered with patagonia capilene

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for posting. I will look at everything everyone posted to try out. Anyone else have anything to say, go right ahead!:)

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,282 Posts
I have some of the military's version of UA. It must be the warm weather version because it's not worth a darn in cold weather, but I do like the fit and feel.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Long underwear made of the heaviest weight Polartec Power Dry
I don't need to be super warm....I want something that will wick away moisture and provide a little extra warmth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hey check here for polypro-www.armygear.net. you can get this in polarweight also,i think the top is like $22 and the bottoms are somewhere around the same price.if the army thinks this works shouldn`t it work for the hunter!

:darkbeer::lightbulb

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
If your looking for something that's not going to keep you really warm and wick moisture then UA is for you...I'm thinking about trying merino wool this year up in Illinois...I want the most warmth with the least bulk

·
Registered
90 Posts
UA has always worked well for me.

Don't know where you guys are going but for me its always made me sweat not cold LOL. Nothing like being to hot! :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UA has always worked well for me.

Don't know where you guys are going but for me its always made me sweat not cold LOL. Nothing like being to hot! :)
Ive tried their cold gear, and I was pretty impressed. I stayed warm in the early mornings of Nebraskas January.....about 10 degrees.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts