Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any suggestions on new uninsulated gore tex boots. I will be in New Mexico about 8-9000 feet up for Elk . my wife moved mine next to a gas can so not taking any chances
Thanks

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
earth and pine coverscent works nice.

I'd go stomping around in the dirt with some scent killer sprayed on your boots. let them sit, away from your gas gan, and spray down with some coverscent

grap some wafers or WRC trophy leafs and hang them on your pack

·
Muzzy Tech
729 Posts
Danner Pronghorns are some great boots and if you are stalking in relatively smooth or fairly even terrain, the Jackals are even better. Mark

·
Registered
815 Posts
I got some danner pronghorns that I'll be using in New Mexico. Got em all broken in and ready to go! I'll probably have a good pair of tennis shoes as a back up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i love irish setter boots or lacrosse alfa burlys although they are insulated.

maxx

·
Registered
636 Posts
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_812335&id=0021192811980a

These are the cat's meow for early fall hiking. I bought a pair a few years ago about three weeks before snow cock season opened. I wore them every morning for the week before opener on a 1 to 2 mile hike with my back pack on. They were completely broken in on day 3. Light weight...water proof...what more do you want in a boot? We hiked from 4000 feet up to 12000 feet. Then we hiked up and down rock cliffs chasing snow cock for 4 days. When I got home my feet were the only part of my body that did not hurt. My pride hurt the most cuz I did not get my snow cock...LOL

Nate

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I have a pair of Montrail's and they are incredible. Lightweight but waterproof and the break-in time for mine was 2 or 3 good day hikes. I don't have any experience with their boots but Merrell makes great shoes and I can't imagine their boots being worse. They also break in quickly.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Danner Pronghorns

I just got a pair last week and have been wearing them to work in the fields. They are great. They felt like and old boot the instant I put them on. The are light, waterproof, and comfy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ecco Grand Hiker

Last year I bought a pair of Ecco Grand Hiker boots, wore them around the yard a couple of hours, and then took them on a Montana Elk hunt for a week, wore them everyday with total comfort. For a lightweight boot, you can not beat them for comfort.
Four or five years ago I fell off a ladder and broke my heal. I was unable to wear shoes for several years, wearing only Birkenstock. I then transitioned into Ecco shoes. They were so comfortable, I decided I would try their boots. I have been so impressed, I purchased a second pair, and they have been worn from day one with total comfort. They feel like they are broken in in only a couple hours. Buy them on Ebay for $50 to $75. They were the best boot purchase I have ever made.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I'm glad to hear people like the Meindl Perfekt Hikers. I am wearing a pair as we speak breaking them in for a Blacktail hunt next month.
Other sites have had great reviews on them as well. :)

Lien2

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Lien2 said:
I'm glad to hear people like the Meindl Perfekt Hikers. I am wearing a pair as we speak breaking them in for a Blacktail hunt next month.
Other sites have had great reviews on them as well. :)

Lien2

I have too, but my biggest concern has been that the sole is soo stiff on them. Does anyone have any experience trying to stalk in these? Do they break in and get more flexible? Or do you just remove them when you're ready to try a stalk?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts