Archery Talk Forum banner

Google Earth Pro FREE

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  FredGarvin 
#1 ·
For all those that use Google Earth you can now get Google Earth PRO for FREE! It used to be a $400 a year membership but now when you go to download or update just put in the required information and they will email you the link to download and put the license in. As a surveyor I'm always looking into this type of stuff and just found this out myself. There are a lot of different features in the PRO version and trust me, once you learn to use them you will like them more and more. I like to see the profile of the land being hunted and now can see better with the PRO version how much difference there is in the terrain. There's a lot more I'm going to look into but I just wanted everyone to know about this.

#13 ·
Some states are editing their GIS parcels and eventually it will import into Google Earth.. NJ has a lot but being in PA I see only few and it's good to know because you can select parcels and see if it's state game lands/public or private. I use ArcGIS at work, ArcMap10.2 actually, I can download the county parcels and then layer up the aerials and import some GPS locations and able to plot off a big map which is nice for hunting camp and farm access...

As for the Google Earth PRO.. You are going to have to tinker around with all of the tools to notice a difference. Path, profile, you can see the terrain of where you hunt given on profile view. I use this kind of software everyday so I'm always looking into new things for work and for at home but there are endless things to do on Google Earth that can help you plan your next hunt. Draw a line through your hunting grounds. That option is Add then Path.. once drawn you can select that line and see profile view of how the land is in that area... hollows, ravines, flat, etc etc. Just have to tinker around with it.

#14 ·
Some states are editing their GIS parcels and eventually it will import into Google Earth.. NJ has a lot but being in PA I see only few and it's good to know because you can select parcels and see if it's state game lands/public or private. I use ArcGIS at work, ArcMap10.2 actually, I can download the county parcels and then layer up the aerials and import some GPS locations and able to plot off a big map which is nice for hunting camp and farm access...
I've been working in GIS since Arc/Info Command line days :)

Usually it's at the county level where Parcels are maintained. You can check to see if they already have this layer published on ArcGISOnline and then simply add it to your own map. An alternative is to just acquire the parcel layer and add it yourself, but not all agencies provide this (it should be public information/records and freely available).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.