Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to use a gopro hero 4 black. Anyone who uses it for hunting what setting should I use to video? Like the resolution or whatever it is... I have no clue what that stuff means or what the best one to choose is thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't use one, but can provide a little info:

First, you need to decide what you are going to use the video for.

4k resolution would only be needed if you have a 4K tv and wanted the best picture, or were going to use it for a big screen commercial set-up. This will create very large sized data files, which translates to much lower download speeds (especially on wi-fi), as well as will fill up the memory card quickly.
1080p will give very fine definition on a 1080p TV, but still will be pretty large files. May want this or the 4k if you are going to do a lot of special effects editing. The picture will be about the same as a blu-ray DVD.
720p will give smaller files (get more on the memory card) and will be plenty high enough resolution for you-tube etc. The picture on the TV will be about the same as a DVD that isn't blu-ray.

Bottom line: the higher the resolution, the crisper the picture, the larger the data files, and the slower it will up-load/down-load to a computer/TV/internet. Smaller is faster, and will probably do better in low light.

From your post, I would say probably a 720 resolution if available would be where to start, and go to a higher one if you aren't happy with the results.

Go

Just noticed thunderchicken2's response, so his advice is probably right on, and based on experience.

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
Set it to 1080p 30 frames per second and wide view...should be about the only setting you'll need to worry about. That will be good for 99% of the stuff you'll want to film.
This is how all my Go-Pros are setup, seems to work pretty well when adding it with my other cams.

This video was shot with a Hero3+ and a cheap JVC handicam.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,673 Posts
The human eye sees things at roughly 30fps. Cinematic production is done at 24fps. 60fps is going to provide VERY crisp movement and or its going to allow you to fake slow motion. When you slow the speed in half with a 60fps shot youll be at 30fps.

Really depends on what you are looking to accomplish. I wish I could force 24 on everything

·
Registered
91 Posts
It doesn't really affect anything to shoot at 60 fps. I will caution though that if you are new to this I would assume that you have not edited many videos. Make sure your pc has the power to handle editing of 4K video. Go Pro recommends a I7 processor with plenty of memory. Even with 1080 resolution at budget laptop will struggle to edit the video. I would play with it shooting video at different settings and try editing short clips.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for they help guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me advice!! Exactly what I needed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.