Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a fan of Sitka for a while now, their build, attention to detail, and performance is second to none. Recently after the short video “A Place of Piece” I became a huge fan, bordering on fanboy. A week ago I was down in SW Texas hunting aoudad and while I was wearing the sub-alpine pattern for most of the hunt, the morning after I shot my Aoudad on the recovery the temps had dropped and I wore the Fanatic lite jacket I had brought as well. We recovered the ram and everything went really well, but looking at the pics and one thing keeps standing out at me; the dramatic difference between the Gore patterns and the more photo realistic patterns of Mossy Oak and Realtree.
I know the EVII pattern was not designed for the ground and cliffs in SW Texas, but the subalpine is and looking at the pics it still stands out more than I thought it would. The EVII pattern stands out completely in the pics and really illustrates my point. My father in a mix of RT/MO patterns behind me I think also shows the start contrast.
Now I have herd (and often repeated) the same points that will come up here; that in the tree against the sky it looks COMPLETELY different, that game see differently than us, and that pattern doesn’t matter. While there is some valid points here my brain (when disconnecting my love for the gear) still tells me that the photo realistic patterns blend in better and break you up at LEAST as well as the Gore patterns.
I think that the now old idea of “blobbing” out in the distance is more based on older generations of Real tree and Mossy Oak and that the current gen of Realtree Xtra or now edge and MO beak up infinity due a much better job of limiting this effect.
I still love the Gear Sitka makes. I am blessed to have met and hunted with some of the guys that design for Sitka and I can tell you first hand they strive to make the absolute best gear they can build. The little and sometimes not so little features such as the ever evolving insulating materials, the pocket layouts and the fit of the gear is at the highest of levels and I do not think that will change. I am however looking hard now at pattern choices and what really works the best in the field.

Attachments

·
can I shoot it?
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dark, no. I totally agree. I do think the newer patterns of Realtree and MO are quite a bit more open and light then past patterns. The quality of Sitka is clear, the pattern advantage is not as clear to me as I once thought it was.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
As much as I like Sitka gear. It and all camo has down falls. In my opinion movement is the key. They catch you and it's usually over.

I like EV2 for treestand hunting. I think it does a nice job of breaking up the outline. Maybe it buys you some time. For the conditions in your pictures maybe OC ? Honestly I don't care much about the pattern, I wear Sitka because it fits right and is comfortable.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Millions of game animals killed with realtree and mossy oak before digital camo was ever on the market.... food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Sitka is designed for the way game animals see us . I use that camo youre wearing a lot .. since it 1st came out . and ive gotten really close to a lot of game with no issues . if I remember right . its suppose to be invisible at 20 yds . to them . and I believe it .

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Millions of game animals killed with realtree and mossy oak before digital camo was ever on the market.... food for thought
Yeah, and red flannel shirts and brown cotton duck pants before that...... food for thought. Fit and quality are first for me. As stated above. Doesn’t matter what your wearing if you move at wrong time.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I'd swear I've been picked off more times in a tree with EV1 than before I used it.
There's just no way to tell for real.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yeah, and red flannel shirts and brown cotton duck pants before that...... food for thought. Fit and quality are first for me. As stated above. Doesn’t matter what your wearing if you move at wrong time.
Oh brother. And before that loin clothes and war paint... I swear you are a bunch of humorless *******s here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like you got the job done regardless of your camo. Which camo pattern you wear doesn't matter a whole lot. I shot a 175" buck on public land this bow season wearing blue jeans and my work shirt. Making the wright moves at the wright times is what matters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Look at the gray scale I posted of one of your pics. Your camo stands out less in my opinion.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My only concern with Sitka gear is all the gray/blue'ish tones within some (most) of their patterns. This is the only thing that's removed them from consideration. From what I understand about the color spectrum that deer see, blue is high on that list. Every time I visit a cabelas and there's a large selection of Sitka that's all I see in them is the blues.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
My only concern with Sitka gear is all the gray/blue'ish tones within some (most) of their patterns. This is the only thing that's removed them from consideration. From what I understand about the color spectrum that deer see, blue is high on that list. Every time I visit a cabelas and there's a large selection of Sitka that's all I see in them is the blues.

Winner winner

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sure against the ground... But how often do we hunt from in a prone position on the ground?

You sure thats how deer see?
Not at all certain that's how deer see. Just posting a Gray scale contrast. I hunt in a tree stand with Realtree Xtra, Badlands Approach, and Sitka EV II. All seem to work fine.
A good camo will break you up against a variety of backgrounds and some work better against certain backgrounds.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts