Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to buy a new hang on stand for a new spot im going to be hunting and am too far to carry my climber..(yea im lazy early in teh morning, especially if i would hopefully be dragging a deer back as well.) but i was wondering if i could have some fedback from people

Its teh gorilla king kong lounger.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20055&hasJS=true

I used to use the rivers edge hang on but decided ti was time for an upgrade, and a little bigger of a platform.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...Id=3680010&cp=2367438.2367824.2292572.2292573

·
Registered
533 Posts
Gorilla makes a good solid stand. I don't have the one you are looking at but I have older King Kong chain on. I love it. I'll only buy stands with a 24x30 or larger platform. My only concern with the Gorilla stand you are looking at might be that the arm rests may get in the way on certain shots. Last year when I shot my buck I had to spin around and shoot behind me while still sitting down. I was right up tight next to the tree.

I say go for it. I think you'll love it. It looks a lot more comfortable than my Gorilla.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The seat adjustment screw in the gorilla will break, just a question of when. You'll look like the guy at the fair in the water dump booth when it happens, I thankfully had a harness on or I would of went for a ride and scared all the deer out of the woods. There fine once that weld break and you rig a bolt and 2 nuts in there instead. I wont ever buy another one though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so ur saying i should switch the screw out before i even set up. to avoid that situation... i always wear a harness except when im in a ladder stand which i know i should but i dont.

·
Registered
925 Posts
IMO for $30 more you can get the muddy hunter pro, which is around 10 pounds lighter (easier to carry in). You also are able to level the platform with the muddy.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The seat adjustment screw in the gorilla will break, just a question of when. You'll look like the guy at the fair in the water dump booth when it happens, I thankfully had a harness on or I would of went for a ride and scared all the deer out of the woods. There fine once that weld break and you rig a bolt and 2 nuts in there instead. I wont ever buy another one though.
Even if the seat adjustment screw breaks it will never dump you because you have the strap attached. I own 17 of these stands and they are left out all year long. You are right the screw part is junk. I have lost more of the handles that are only held on by a set screw than anything. than i just take a wrench to tighten them. IF that weld ever did break ( i weigh 248 lbs and never had one break) the most your stand would shift is 2 inches. even then it can only move towards the tree, because the whole point of that is to tighten your stand away from the tree to level it and put tension on that strap. So im curious here if your weld did break how did it dump you out of the stand? because without the level system it is the same as most stands on the market

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Even if the seat adjustment screw breaks it will never dump you because you have the strap attached. I own 17 of these stands and they are left out all year long. You are right the screw part is junk. I have lost more of the handles that are only held on by a set screw than anything. than i just take a wrench to tighten them. IF that weld ever did break ( i weigh 248 lbs and never had one break) the most your stand would shift is 2 inches. even then it can only move towards the tree, because the whole point of that is to tighten your stand away from the tree to level it and put tension on that strap. So im curious here if your weld did break how did it dump you out of the stand? because without the level system it is the same as most stands on the market
I'm talking about the leveling screw on the underneath the seat, when that weld breaks the seat drops down to a 45* angle. The whole stand doesnt fall. Mine broke when I took my feet of the platform, while I was sitting on the seat to strech, and boom. That nut should be welded on the other side of the seat, whoever designed that leveling system should be fired, because your counting on a chinese tack weld, in chinese steel to keep you alive, when it broke there was all kinds of rust in that weld.

And yes I would recommend setting that up at ground level, and maybe sitting in the seat and bouncing up and down in it carefully to break it, or maybe even sandwhich a nut in there from the back side or a bunch of washers. I wish I had it hear so I could take a picture of what I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.