Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fletched my first 2 arrows tonight with gorilla super glue (blue cap). Prepped the arrows just by taking a scotch brite green pad up and down a few times. Since these are practice arrows I didn't worry about rubbing them down with denatured alcohol, but I do have it for when I do my regular arrows. Anyway, talk about TOUGH! I put them on for about 3-5 minutes and pulled as hard as I could several times and those Blazers were not budging the slightest bit. I'm impressed. I can only imagine how stuck on they'll be when I rub some alcohol on the shafts and put a dot at the top and bottom of the vanes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use the Gorilla super glue gel for my rayzrs. No problems with them coming off either. this stuff is tough.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've had good results with them on my arrow wraps. The glue is super tough for sure. I was using fletch tite platinum and threw that stuff in the garbage after I tried out the Gorilla glue.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I hated it, I like to leave the vane in the jig for 10 seconds and then move in to the next vane but with this stuff they just slide off when the jig is removed, my fletch tite platinum and loctite gel control instantly stick so they hold the vane and I can move on, the gorilla just lets them slide off. Cheers

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
I hated it, I like to leave the vane in the jig for 10 seconds and then move in to the next vane but with this stuff they just slide off when the jig is removed, my fletch tite platinum and loctite gel control instantly stick so they hold the vane and I can move on, the gorilla just lets them slide off. Cheers
Are you talking about the gorilla super glue gel or did you try standard gorilla glue? I have been using the gorilla super glue gel for quite some time now with an arizona ez mini jig that does all 3 vanes at once and I only leave the arrow clamped in the jig for 10-15 seconds and I've never had a vane come off.

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
Most superglues will hold most vanes to carbon shafts. The real test for a glue is how well does it stick the vanes of aluminum shafts.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Are you talking about the gorilla super glue gel or did you try standard gorilla glue? I have been using the gorilla super glue gel for quite some time now with an arizona ez mini jig that does all 3 vanes at once and I only leave the arrow clamped in the jig for 10-15 seconds and I've never had a vane come off.

Yep the blue lid gel

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I used it on my Eclipses,aluminum,and WOW,it is the ****.
Used it also on my 300 gn points and rock solid,even shot one into plywood with a misfire,pryed it out and didn't loose the tip.
There is your impact tough proof.

·
Semper Fidelis
1,250 Posts
That's what I use, and the stuff is awesome!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Gorilla glue blue cap is all I would use for a long time! I have recently tried AAE Max Bond for all of my AAE vanes and they work better for those, but for an all around great glue, I think that the Gorilla Glue blue cap is hard to beat.

I use the Gorilla Glue Green cap when I am putting inserts in. I think that the slower dry time helps the glue to cure better for harder impacts on the inserts.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No it doesn't expand like the regular glue. I use the blue cap as well, but haven't ever seen the gel. I may have to try it out. Does the gel give a more consistent application?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
So I'm guessing that it doesn't expand as it cures like regular Gorilla Glue?
It's just good quality cyanoacrylate super-glue. Just Gorilla brand-name. I like the gel, myself.

Has anyone ever used Zip-Kicker. My grandpa used to use it for model airplane applications and it seemed to work great for instant cutting CA glues.

·
Socket Man
22,747 Posts
The gorilla super glue works just fine like most super glues, the key here is that buying a big bottle is a huge mistake for a guy at home because you are paying a lot for something that is going to go bad in a very short time. For home use you use a new tube for one fletching job and points and then it may be months before you use it again on the next set of arrows so now that tube or bottle is worthless. This is why getting the cheap two tube 2 dollar offerings from loctite or gorilla is the way to go. For 2 bucks you can open one of them and use it and then have another fresh tube waiting.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
I only like to use the gorilla glue for my hunting arrows. Too much of a pain in the ace to constantly refletch. That stuff is like cement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts