Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 6 A west Bull archery tag. This is my first Elk hunt ever. The hunt is not for 5 months and I can't spot looking at maps and google earth. All ready lined up My two hunting buddys for the hunt. Spent close to 12-15 hours on the phone. Planed first scouting trip. I cant get it off my mind. Already started deit and working out.

I think I might have lost it !

Do I need to get some help ?

Or is this normal ?

PS if you have any info of the Unit I would be greatful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats!! We got turned down for 6A bull and 6A cow.

The fun starts NOW!

Sometime, go to Archery Headquarters (Chandler BLVD) and shoot the Dart System Elk video. It's alot of fun.

Lot's of fun summer scouting trips. Nothing more fun than an elk hunt during the rut. Gets my blood going just typing about it!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
No, there's nothing WRONG with you, it's normal to be "psyched" about such and exciting hunt. BIGGEST thing I'd say is make sure you have COMFORTABLE, DURABLE boots. BAD BOOTS can ruin a hunt. If you don't know how to take good care of your feet you may end up having a miserable time.

If you don't know how to call, start practicing now, get different opinions from guys, on what they like, check out ELKNUT's website, he has great DVD's that can help you understand calling much better, and make you a better caller. I personally like a diaphragm style call, because it keeps your hands free, and allows you to change tone to sound like 2 or more different elk, part of the key to calling a bull, making him think that there are a few lonely cows, that need attention. Watch the Primos Truth videos, and take some notes. I think the use of the "Hoochie Mama" under the guys foot, which was an accident, but in all honesty, is a somewhat ingenuous idea, especially if you're setting up a calling scenario, and things get a little misguided.

All this typing about it is getting me in the mood to, and I can't go again until 2009. :cry:

Also, check out BOWSITE.COM's elk section, there are lots of good guys over there with LOADS of good info specific to elk!!!

Lot's of fun summer scouting trips. Nothing more fun than an elk hunt during the rut. Gets my blood going just typing about it!
Me, too......

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats!! We got turned down for 6A bull and 6A cow.

The fun starts NOW!

Sometime, go to Archery Headquarters (Chandler BLVD) and shoot the Dart System Elk video. It's alot of fun.

I help out part time at Archery Headquarters the dart is sweet.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I use Danner and have put some miles on them. I might need to get a new pair and break them in befor hand.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Congrats. I never been out west hunting but from what I see on tv your doing the right things. I hear the guides on tv saying you'll have a much better hunt if your in shape and prepared.Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I use Danner and have put some miles on them. I might need to get a new pair and break them in befor hand.

HAVE TWO GOOD PAIR OF BOOTS WELL BROKEN IN!!! Advice worth it's weight in GOLD!!!! Probably the BEST ADVICE I got before my trip!!!

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts

Or is this normal ?
It's called "elk fever", totally normal for elk hunters to get it, but your family and everyone else will think you've lost it. I normally get it about late summer, but for some reason I got it early this year....and I'm going OTC in CO. It will normally kick in again a couple days AFTER you get done with this year's hunt. But that will fade some until you get closer to the next year's hunt.

Oh ya, on the boots......definitely get two pair and switch them out each day, with clean socks of course.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wapiti Insanity!

I got a 6 A west Bull archery tag. This is my first Elk hunt ever. The hunt is not for 5 months and I can't spot looking at maps and google earth. All ready lined up My two hunting buddys for the hunt. Spent close to 12-15 hours on the phone. Planed first scouting trip. I cant get it off my mind. Already started deit and working out.

Or is this normal ?

PS if you have any info of the Unit I would be greatful.
Congrats on that great tag. Yes, you have wapiti insanity and the good news is THERE IS NO CURE!!:mg:

I train year round for elk hunting. And it pays because it seems that weather you get your opportunity after the 32nd step you take, or the 119,463rd step, when the moment of truth comes you can never be too prepared.

When the shot arrives my peep seems so big that I could fit my head through it and I have always been in the most awkward shooting positions. I practice a lot from my knees because that is the way I have had most shots go down.

I hike a lot with pack on year round because those muscles will be exposed as a weak link early in your trip if not conditioned. When I finish the hike and my muscles are killing me, leave your gear on and practice shooting because you may have your shot happen with all your gear on as well......I am sure you know these things already.

If you check out the search for elk hunting you will see you are in the company of some masters, (not me)! I always saw that the student becomes the master..

Good luck - show us your pix.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hike a lot with pack on year round because those muscles will be exposed as a weak link early in your trip if not conditioned. When I finish the hike and my muscles are killing me, leave your gear on and practice shooting because you may have your shot happen with all your gear on as well.
That's good advice, right there. And if you can get into the football stadium near you, hike up and down the stadium steps a few times with the pack. Not alot of hills around Gilbert, unfortunately. Totally agree about practicing shooting from your knees and from weird angles also.

Those Archery Headquarter guys will get you set up. ALOT of great hunters work there and visit there.

Congrats, man. Your life just got better for a few months!! :darkbeer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts