Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions: 1. What's the most deer you've killed out of one tree? 2. Do you have a name for that tree?

I've got a tree that's in the woods at the end of my subdivision that I have permission from the developer to hunt. I call it the doubletree because I've doubled out of it. I'd have to think how many deer I've killed out of it in the last three years I've hunted out of it. Somewhere around 10. I've also doubled on turkeys out of a blind at the base of the tree. I know some day someone's house will sit where that tree is and I'll feel compelled to drive by, knock on their door and tell them I've killed a boatload of deer in what is now their driveway.

I also put my uncle in that tree and he killed a deer out of that tree on his first or second sit. When I sit in that tree, I have so much confidence that I'll at least see deer. That said, I think there might be a better location about forty yards south, but I've got so much confidence in this tree that it's hard for me to move.

·
A.T.Under Sophist
20,831 Posts
I used to have a tree like that, but then some guy logged the property and built a house on it. I guess I could still hunt off of his utility pole...:confused:

·
XX78 User
4,927 Posts
I have a tree that atleast 4 bucks were shot from. Great pinch point and travel corridor. We call the tree OLD FAITHFUL! Awesome tree for me.

·
XX78 User
4,927 Posts
Got another one called the Eagles Nest. It is 37 feet up in a creek bottom. Had to put it that high because at 20 I'm eye to eye with the deer. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
I have a tree that I have shot 10 or so deer out of. I call it the tresspaser stand, I've had to kick a guy out of it twice.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Naming treestands is almost a requirement for us. We have a lot of land and a lot of trees that we hunt. One tree that we have killed 23 deer from is called "the hedge". We have tree where we have killed 12 deer from and we call it the "high stand" because it sits on a creek and makes you feel like you are 30 feet in the air. There is a spot on our farm that we have just been hunting the last two years. It is now called the "playground" because I have seen over 20 deer from it on two different mornings and there is a flock of turkeys that hangs around it year round like it is their own personal animal "playground". We also hunt "mom's stand" (she picked the tree herself), "the orchard", "the bucket stand", "the white oak", "the trap door", "the ridge", "the little field" and "the oaks"

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sorta

I have locations I have killed more than one in... But I often move stands from tree to tree depending on the year...

Those spots get names specific to them or the folks that own them... A new one is getting the name of one of the mountain bike trails my buddies and I ride in the area... that stand is Bleeding Muzzle (named after the mountain bike trail which was named for the dog of one of the guys when we were building the trail... the dog got hit in the muzzle by an axe during a follow through... hence: Bleeding Muzzle :eek:)

Actually, one tree has a name for the number of sightings and some kills... "The Red Maple Stand". My wife named it because she had her first encounters with deer from that stand.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My friends and I have two that we have named. One sits on a small hill in the middle of the woods and we have shot 5 deer ot of it. It is called kill hill. The other is on the edge of a creek that has a really big drop off on one side of the tree you are about 35 feet high, we call that one death valley.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Great thread!! I had a tree that I kileed 6 deer out of in 3 season. It is where I killed my first deer with a bow (or any weapon for that matter). The tree was located at the corner of 2 overgrown fields, a nice oak knoll, and a pond- an awesom pinch point! It was a little water oak with a huge wild Holly tree groing right behind it, as an evergreen the Holly gave great season long cover. At about 20 ft. up it had a slight curve back in the trunk. If you put your hand climber at the base of that bend, it was like a lazy boy! We called it the Holly Tree. Whenever we took someone to this property that was new or hadn't killed a deer we always brought them to that stand. It almost never failed! It is now gone, thanks to a subdivision. I guess as a homebuilder I shouldn't be upset, but man, I miss that little tree! Ghost

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
I never named it but I killed two deer out of it, missed some more and lost untold opportunities when it went the way of the subdivision but...had Beaver Creek...beaver fever...where we got the squirts from some bad water. The Source...a little valley that was a good place to find bull moose. There's others.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,710 Posts
re

I have a tree that is 20 yrds from two apple trees(directly in front of me), and there are a few more apple trees about 45 yrds behind me. The deer love this spot becasue the only other apples on the farm are about 500 yrds from that spot.
I have doubled on doe in that stand, I have shot a doe in the morning, and another that night from the stand. I have killed 8 or 10 doe from there.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My favorite tree was, "The Honey Tree". It was blown down during a hurricane about 5 years ago.:sad: My heart sank when I found it lying on the ground. I killed 7 deer in 3 years from that tree. Some of my friends who "borrowed" it also scored from the honey tree as well. It was in a funnel, right next to a creek that deer followed when traveling between a bedding and feeding area. I still hunt this area, but I sure miss that tree!

·
Registered
462 Posts
mine is the "skint tree". reason being I climb it so much that after the season is over, there is no bark between 1 and 22 feet.

if and when that tree comes down for any reason, i will be claiming a 3" cross section of that three. Would love to use it to put a picture on it, or possibly as a board for some sort of mount or whatever.

me and that tree go way back. I have over 20 deer out of that one tree.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
My favorite tree is.....Gutter tree.Years ago,i used a gutter spike(nail) for a bow/gun hanger with a pc of garden hose on it.I now use my realtree hangers but i still use the spike for hanging my day pack or hang my jacket on.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
We have names for all our stands. That's the only way we can keep track...The problem is I'm terrible at remembering names :confused: (you know that one stand...what's it called). Early alztimers (sp?) :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts