Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from my 25 year long hunting bud friday night, his words were ( I NEED A BLOODHOUND) meaning ME!!! I have had great luck finding wounded or dead deer in the past so I seem to get these darn calls. I get out there and here the story, not a good one either. He arrowed a 4pt at 15 ft but the shot was straight down, and as he saw it, the arrow was just to the side of the spine, and as the buck RAN off 6 to 8 inch's of arrow was sticking out. He was using 100gr Shockwaves at 60lbs on a Hoyt Ultrasport.

This was his first bow deer in years of trying, N.H. has one of the worse deer herds in the country with 1 deer per SQ mile in quite a few places. Well he got his neighbors out there friday and there was 5 of them trampling around with lights in the dark as he shot the deer with 1/2 hour of light left. He felt it was dead not far off and thats why he pursued friday. They found small drops of blood about every 15 or more yards and then after 150 yards it stopped. I got out there and we had a very heavy dew sat. morning which didnt help, so maybe they did the right thing afterall. At least we had a direction.

I got on my hands and knees and started looking from last blood, I followed the tracks for another 100 yards into timber cuttings with slash that made it impossible to follow him, NO blood at all. I went back 3 times to reassure I had it right and also checked the underside as well as top of all the leaves on low bush's to se if blood had wiped off his back as the shot was NOT a pass through which really hurt things. I asked if there was foam in the blood and a 10yr old ( who was the only one to find the blood the night before ) said he saw a tiny bit and it was orangy as he put it. I think he may have nicked a lung but not more, and the arrow may have deflected off a rib. If he had hit a vital organ after 300 yards we should have found a deer. Sadly my buds son made the same shot 2 years ago and saw the deer 4 weeks later still alive and seemingly well with a scar on her back. He saw it during bucks only gun season and put his scope on 9X and saw it was her. Back to this buck, I spent 4 hours out there having the other 3 walk ever larger circles outside of the cuttings and we checked every source of water around, NOTHING!

The temps have been in the 80's here so today I am not looking further as his son and a friend will be out there today hunting. I dont want to ruin their day by thrasing around in the cuttings and I have tons of work to do at home to get ready for winter. I just feel bad as this is the first time I have not found a deer in 30 years of hunting. I have over 30+ deer kills of my own without loss and have found 8 others that people gave up on. I hate to quit but under the circumstances I feel I must admit defeat.

I talked to my bud about the shot and he didnt realize it was one of the poorer choices and one I would not have taken. He thought he would hit a vital organ and did not realize it was such a poor choice. I also told him he would have been better off with a fixed head instead of expandable at that angle. I told him if he wants to keep using expndables to go with more of a broadside shot. Sadly he felt that if he didnt take the shot he wouldn't have the chance again being N.H. and a guy could hunt all season and not see a deer. He is upset at the thought of the deer out there either not recovered or hurting. He had to go to Vermont today and had no choice but to go. He may go out Monday and keep looking, if he does I guess the excercise wont kill me, plus it would nice for him to have support. I can catch up on house chores later. I did have one instance years ago where I found a deer a deer 2 days after it was hit and I put it down so I still have hope.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bloodhound

into timber cuttings with slash

That's the clue: Have found more than one underneath the slash.
On a hit as discribed, sometimes tend to hole-up like a rabbit.
And YES, I know what you mean. Been getting calls like that
for over 40 years now aka "Mingo"..Good Luck.....Chuck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts