Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to shoot something new and work my way towards a stickbow I could use to hunt whitetail someday. :smile:

Its a Shamrick(?) 40#. I don't know if this is considered a decent bow or not but I liked the way it looked and it "felt good".

I could only put my shots in the general vicinity of the target when I tried her out at the range, but I was getting better by the end. I think I can tame her after some work in my backyard target.

Question: For hunting, the bow needs to be a 45# but since my draw is about 30 or so, I wonder if this brings up my effective poundage from 40# to the legal minimum?
Any advice?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yes it does. that bow is rated for 40 pounds at 28 inches of draw. now you at 2-3 pounds for every inch after that to your draw.

is your 30 inch draw with a compound of did you measure it on a stickbow?

good luck. they are very addicting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Measuring draw?

How can I accurately measure my draw? The guy at the proshop just told me my draw is more than 28 when we went to shoot at the shops range (he's a high-level coach...).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
usually if your draw with a compound is 30 inches, your draw with a trad bow will be about 1-2 inches shorter. mine isnt, but thats just me. my draw with a compound is 27 and my draw with my recurve is 28. the best way to do it by yourself is to get an arrow, and punch it through a small notecard. then draw back you bow. the note card will stop at your hand. draw back 5 more times. if you notice that the note card keeps apperaring to get further away, thats because you muscles are getting tired and your draw is shortening. measure from the nock to the notecard, and that will be about your draw.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I find out?

How could I find out if my bow would be hunt-legal?

I've checked all the hunting regs in the pamphlet but it doesn't mention it, but I remember hearing from a bowhunter-friendly game person that if your draw/lbs combined were 45#, that was legal.

·
NiteShiftUnderground
257 Posts
Just the outlaw in me speaking, but if I had the skill & confidence to put that arrow right where I wanted it @ my chosen range, I'd go ahead and hunt. In WI the DNR enforcers have bigger things to tend to than rolling in the woods with a bow scale checking draw weights.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts