Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a couple of big bucks bedding about 60 yards in thicket next to my stand about 50 in from soybean field. so they are about 110 yards from beans. they coming out to eat at all times of the day. 3am thru 8 pm. i have trailcams set up on trail leading to bedding. i let cams stay out for three months and just checked them in rain storm. i have 800 pics of these three shooters. but im afraid that when i walk to my stand i might bust them as soon as i enter woods.. so i was thinking of getting a coyote caller and let it go off as i get to woods stay there for 10 mins then walk slow to my stand to try and get them to move out,but not know they being hunted. i have to try and get them before they get on the white oaks in the swamp. does anyone think that is a good idea....any input would help... thanks

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
I wouldn't try it but that is just me. I think they would not spook from a coyote call from mid day. I think they would simply turn their attention your way and bust you when you enter the woods. If it is an electronic caller those things can be super loud and if it does spook them I doubt they would come back that evening. The only time I have used a coyote call is when clearing a field so I can exit the area quickly.

If it were me, I would simply wait until a windy day with the wind in your favor and sneak in as quietly as possible. A little rain wouldn't hurt as well or the day after a big rain. If they are for sure making it to the bean field, I would set up closer to it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
tough tough scenerio there. i agree with Liv4Rut about maybe waiting on that perfect windy day...of course who knows if you will get that in time before they hit the acorns. i dont recommend the coyote call but if i were you i may check those pictures and try to get an idea of when they are coming back to the bed. if you know its after daylight then wait for that perfect wind and set up up in there bedroom. bad thing is it would be a one time chance but its always an idea. i agree with maybe sitting the edge of the beans tho in hopes they will show before dark. only you would know if they are or not. Best of luck. i hope you smack one down.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Wait till it's damp and a little wind in the right direction and move in about an hour after daylight real slow and wait. Trying goofy things isn't going to turn out well with a bow in hand.

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,409 Posts
Bump em and dump em.

You know EXACTLY where the bedding area is?

Slowly work your way in there and bump them out. Dont run in there but just sneak in lightly enough to make them leave. Hunt there right away. Obviously set up so the wind is right and everything but be there waiting by the bedding area. Yes your going to ruin the area after that but hopefully it will be too late by the time they realize you were in there and one of them is dead. If its a good bedding area for them they will come back.

Its aggressive as hell but your situation is tight.

OR

You could play it real safe and just get as close to their travel route as you can, close enough where you KNOW you wont spook them. Thats hard too though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I might try comin in the woods as far from the field there feeding as possible REAL EARLY in the morning.....a couple hours before light and post up on the trail they use to get to there bedding area. Be sure the wind is right of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts