Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well, I was on my way into my honey hole and I walk past the bones of the elk I killed in 2001 (didn't go back in 2002 due to a large fire). I let out a bugle for sentimental reasons and down the drainage I get a response. Well a herd bull and 2 satellite bulls start having a bugling battle. I settle in above the drainage and start cow calling to see what happens. Well, I can see a small 5x5 and I can hear the herd bull going crazy but my third bull seems to disappear.....well he reappears silently 50 yards accross the drainage heading up. He's a decent 6x6 (w/ a broken 5th point) and decide if he presents the shot I'll take him. He walks the opposite side of the drainage and I begin to wonder if he is going to give me a shot or just leave. He gets about 30 yards above me and heads across to my side of the drainage through waist deep ferns (yes we have ferns in Wyoming). I come to full draw and when he clears some trees I cow call and he stops. I pick the spot and let the Snuffer give him the business @ 30 yards....it blew through so fast that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea where the arrow went! I couldn't have drawn an "X" in a better spot for a hit. Well he wheels and heads straight at me! He stops at about 20 yards and turns broadside and looks back to the bottom to see what had just bit him. Sensing an opportunity, I draw another arrow (Muzzy tipped this time) and put another arrow about 4 inches below the first one (It's the hole by my sight in the picture). He bolts about 40 yards to the right and this guy now looks like a sprinkler!!!! There is blood shooting out both sides 5 to 10 feet!! Well he's quartering away now and being the impatient man I am (and partly out of curiosity) I put a third arrow behind his last rib and he bolts 40 yards across the drainage and craters!! While I'm boning him out I look accross the draw and see the bones from my 2001 elk......I must say that this drainage has been good to me!!! FWIW I was shooting a Mathews MQ1 w/ Easton Epics and 125 gr. Snuffers and Muzzy 115 gr. 4-blades.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Congratulations on your nice Bull Elk!!
Dave

·
Registered
999 Posts
3 arrows in one elk? How in the H do you do that? Great work, I've never heard of anything like that before. You better change your name to "Quick Draw".

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice bull!! Don't even worry about all the arrows you let fly. I did the same thing on my mulie this year. Turned my FX into a semi-auto.
Again, nice bull.
AZHUNTER

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice Bull

Great Bull and great story .

I'm eating tag soup . Missed a cow at 47 yds . Maybe next year .

I hope you get to put another pile of bones in that drainage next year too!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
great bull and great story.Hope to make it elk hunting some day myself

·
74,535 Posts
So much for 3 arrow quivers

Congradulations! Awesome hunt. If there going to stand there Im flinging arrows untell his down. Trophy to be proud of.

Beautifull animal!

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
great story and good eating. if you get tired of eating elki steak or roast i will be glad to help out lol. great job and i can see that rack on the wall for sure
rob k

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
WOW, nice bull.You just lived out one of my "biggest dreams"
To take a great bull with a bow.......Congratulations;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
CONGRAT'S! On a Fine Bull.Hey you sort of look like Tom Miranda! LOL

·
Banned
736 Posts
Congratulations -- NICE elk

Now that had to be exciting to get the chance to shoot more than once. Even though the 1st shot undoubtly did the job I don't think any of us could resist the chance to do the same if given the opportunity.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts