Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got some horns.It's taken me about 7 years to do it but it finally happened.Sat at the edge ogf a meadow in some dark timber and me and a buddy cow called every few minutes for about 20 min when i looked over at my partner and got the old shoulder shrug so i got up took two steps and saw a 5x5 running towards me from the other side of the meadow and immediately dropped to my knees pretty much out in the open.So here he comes heading for a meadow just to the right of the main meadow and stopped.He didn't know exactly where we were and turned his head aoround to look behind him and i knew if he came up the trail there would be no way he wouldn't see me so i started to draw and he snapped his head directly towards me so i froze and waited a second until he turned his head again to look into the meadow and drew, setteled on my 50 yard pin and aimed at the opposite shoulder(he was quartering away a bit) and let fly.Right before he ran i saw a dark spot where i was pretty sure the arrow hit anyway went down to where he was standing and didn't see blood for awhile but followed his trail for about 30 yards and there it was and it got better and better until 80 yards from where i hit him i found him not a giant 5x5 but i couldn't ask for anything more and will never forget the experience.The freind i was with said that he felt sorry for people that don't hunt because they miss out on so much and i agree with him

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congratulations on your first bull!!! Any pictures of it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
ya i memeber my first bull like it was still happening i killed it last year a spike when i was 16

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Congrats...!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am having some developed

I am having some developed of the paper variety right now and am going to see if i can get some on disk as soonas i do i will post em thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Nice job. Great shot!!!! I leave Friday to spend the last week chasing bugling bulls in Idaho. I can't freaking wait. I can't concentrate on work, my boss told me I was worthless today!! Anyways, good job. Let's see some pictures!

GM

·
Registered
191 Posts
Me too

I also shot my first bull this year, at least first bull bigger than a spike. It was also a 5x5. I know how you feel. It took me about 10 years for mine. Good job on keeping with it all the years. Lets do it again next year.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Gabe, nice going, I have never hunted Elk (yet) this year i am going for Muleys in Wyoming, and hopefully next year or so I can do the Elk trip. A 5x5, that must have been awesome, congratulations, tell us about your equipment and everything you used to make the hunt successful, Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats

Your buddy is right. People who don't hunt really have no idea what they are missing. Last year I took a spike buck on an evening hunt. After the shot I was able to watch him run about 40 yards and turn back. He looked back and dropped like a stone. Anyway, I went back out in the morning to see if I could fill a doe tag. Got into my stand in the dark and settled in for the morning. As the woods woke up I noticed a little movement at the spot where the spiker fell over. It turned out to be a very large black bear. It had spent the night by his last meal, the gut pile. I have been bowhunting for 29 years and never seen a bear in the woods until this moment. It turns out I ended up watching it for 2 hours. It was an unbelievable morning. Easily out weighing the harvest of my deer. To tell the story really doesn't do it justice. You just had to be there. Those of us in the woods know how that feels but to tell a nonhunter is very difficult.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Teacherboy

I know exactly what you are talking about you can't really put it into words just like you said you just have to be there!!!equiptment: I was was shooting a hoyt xtec at 65 lbs 27" draw,magnus stinger broadheads(i have never had better flight out of a broadhead) i just paper tune with the broadhead until i get a good tear,set my pins and practice with my broadheads until hunting season and sharpen them right before season starts.The broadhead went all the way through and was sticking out the other side of the elk.I thought the 2 blade wouldn't give a good blood trail but i was wrong oh and i was usings 3-39 acc's thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts