Archery Talk Forum banner

Got my first deer with a bow

1794 Views 18 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Julien
I took my first shot at a deer this weekend. A doe at 8 yards severly quartering away, Slick Trick Mag did it's work. She took three bounds and died within 15 yards of where I shot her. Hit her about halfway back through the backstrap and literally scraped the bottom of her spine, nicked the liver, arteries above the heart, and center punched the offside lung. Full pass through right behind the offside leg. Only went a little distance but the blood trail was impressive right away.

This was the most peaceful, ejoyable hunt I've ever had. So much better than a gun hunt. Much more personal. The woods aren't disturbed by the shot and you can really just enjoy the moment without the recoil, noise, extra distance between you and the animal, etc.

I'll still hunt with a gun, but I don't think I'll ever enjoy it in the same way as this hunt.

I can't say enough about this site and the folks on it. I've learned a lot from just lurking about. Thanks for all the advice and help, whether I've asked for it or not.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pics on the way. My camera was dead in the field so I had to take them at home.

· Registered
971 Posts
Congrats. Did the same thing on Friday. Got my first with a bow also.

· Registered
2,241 Posts
Good job dude!! May you have many successful blood trails from here on !!

· Registered
2,528 Posts
You will always remember that hunt, let it stay with you as one of life's best moments ever.
Good Hunting!

· Registered
785 Posts
Great Job on your First Kill,

And your right about the Gun thing, once you make a kill with a Bow it takes all the fun out of gun hunting. I gun hunted last year, 162 yards from feeder, looked at some awesome Bucks, and the hole time the only thing I could think of was. wish I was brushed in down there about 20 yards with my Bow. never even picked my gun up to shoot. Yea maybe if I would have needed meat. I might have shot a doe. but my boy had already shot a nice 12 point with his Bow and a 6 point with a gun, so I took a pass

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.