Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not some MASSIVE buck.... just backstraps for the table. In previous years, we usually see a handful of bucks scoring from 135-150 inches, and have a few encounters with them during our archery, rifle, and muzzleloader season. My dad and I are among just a few people that have permission to hunt this land, but a bruiser of a buck was taken from a neighboring hunter after a party of 10 guys pushed out of there It was tough to see, but we were hoping some other deer would come back, but sadly, after viewing the trailcams, all that came back were does and small bucks. We have about 20 deer that are making frequent visits, and the majority are does and fawns, 2 old "dry" does, and 2 small fork bucks. At that point I had it set in my mind that if one of the dry does made it to my stand, she was going to be taken this year.
The night started out with gusting winds over 30 mph, but as the sun went down, so did the wind. Long story short, I had a nice large lone doe come in about 15-20 minutes before dark, and I shot her quartering away at 20 yards. I bought a Martin Cheetah over the winter, and was very impressed with the speed, and quietness of the shot. The deer didnt have a chance to even flinch before the arrow zipped through! I use Carbon Express Mayhem 350 arrows, rage 2 blade 100 GR. broadheads, and nockturnal nocks. The arrow flew right where I wanted it, and (w/ the assistance of the lighted nocks) was able to watch it pass right through both lungs. I HOWEVER wasn't impressed with the performance of the Rage broadheads. The bloodtrail wasn't any better than a fixed 3 blade like I used to use, and the deer ended up going 200 yards before finally bedding down. I did see 4 good spots where she had stopped and left huge puddles, but the blood between the puddles was hard to spot! The only advantage I can see with them is they do hit right where my field points do! All in all, I LOVE my Martin Cheetah, and I think my setup will work just fine for seasons to come... Just need to find a better hunting spot that has bigger deer there.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ppppppiiiiiiiiicccccccccssssssssssssss^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
If you have does the bucks will come. Once the rut starts the bucks will be chasing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts