Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I would like to start off by saying thanks a lot for all the advice, pics and stories. Since I posted last time I have been trying as hard as I could to get a shot at one of these busses. The weather didn't always play along, the clouds and slightly windy conditions making it very difficult to spot the fish. But today my luck changed! I spotted this guy about thirty yards away holding close to the bank in some very shallow water. I ducked behind some cover and sneaked closer. I got to within 5 yards of the Carp and as soon as I drew he slowly started to turn away, when he turned broadside I took the shot.... He exploded into action, jumping halfway out of the water before taking off at top speed to the safety of the depths. My shot had been good and my arrow blew straight through him. In a matter of seconds the 30yards of 200lb braid dissapeared into the lake followed swiftly by my "home-made" float. I called my friend to bring a canoe so that we could retrieve my float, line and fish. A small tussle later I had the fish next to the boat and towed him to the shore, well and as they say the rest is history. I couldn't get a scale to weigh the Carp but it measures in at 41" Total length and 26" circumference. Anyone want to guess the weight? You guys would know better that me.

Attachments

·
Not perfect! but forgiven
1,224 Posts
Nice fish!

Lets see a pic of the homeade float that you used, I lost a big fish in the spring similar to that and I think I could have retrieved him if I had a float tied on.

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yip, shot him in the Kwazulu Natal province of South Africa. Had the Carp weighed today and he came in at exactly 18kg/39lbs. It was huge fun! Next I'm going to try and get a shot at a Common Carp. Will keep you guys posted.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Africa?

I wouldn't be sitting too close to that water if thats africa

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mate! Yeah, around our parts about every dam, lake, stream or river has some assortment of sizes of crocs. The dam I shot the carp in actually has a reasonable 8 footer in it. Would love to stick an arrow tight behind his shoulder though.....

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That are some awesome Grasscarp Bowtecharch! I truly enjoyed hunting them, it was a great experience taking on one of these brutes.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Great fish

·
Registered
509 Posts
Congrats on the nice fish!! Looks like it will go 35-40 lbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts