Archery Talk Forum banner

Got My Grizzly Back!

1962 Views 55 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  Cornfed
Got this gut about 19 months ago. Rifle kill....next one will be with my bow!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got him about 2 hours from my house in the Kootenay region of BC. Lots of grizzly here, and absolutely polluted with black bear. The only region I've been with more grizzly is in the far northern portion of the province.

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,945 Posts
Stonegoat ......sweet!

So are you going to tell us the story???

I almost pulled the trigger on a Gbear hunt but the economy may end up blowing it for me.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hunt was great. I was hunting alone (my hunting partner was going to join me the following day). I had spent the day glassing avalanche slopes, and had already seen a large boar and sow. Unfortunately the boar was quite rubbed, so I decided to pass on him. As the sun dipped behind the mountains, I decided to walk back towards my ATV, and glass slides as I went along (there were 5 great slides). I got to the last slide, and was surprised to see a lone boar walking down the slope towards me. I ranged him at 79 yards. He walked a little closer, then saw me. He stared right at me, and then decided to ignore me and started feeding. I decided I was going to take him, but he walked into a depression, were I lost sight of him. He emerged about 10 minutes later facing me, still feeding. I didn't want to take a straight-on shot, so I waited, and fortunately he turned broadside at 55 yards. With my heart pounding in my ears, I shot, and broke his shoulder. He went down, and I shot again, hitting a stump in front of him (not my best display of shooting), relaxed, then shot again. He was finished. I've done a lot of hunting, and use to be a guide, but nothing I had done matched the adrenaline of those minutes. The best part is, I get to do it again this year, as my hunting partner was drawn for grizzly in the same MU. And I'll keep applying until I get drawn again.....grizzly hunting is like crystal meth...try it once and you're hooked!

· Registered
1,722 Posts
I've been putting in for Griz here in AK for several years now, I hope to get drawn this year. Anyway, nice rug and you can't beat that rush you get when staring down one of these bruins at close range.:thumbs_up

· Registered
5,236 Posts
cool:thumbs_up

· Registered
36,987 Posts
NIce rug , congrats

· Registered
2,487 Posts
Stonegoat,

Is it hard to draw a resident tag around that area of the Kootenay's?

I have hunted grizzlies a couple of times in BC: Revelstoke, near Mica dam and outside the Mitchell Wet Lands at north arm of Quesnel Lake. I know in the Quesnel Lake area there was only two resident tags back in 2003.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.