Archery Talk Forum banner

Got my new toy!!

853 Views 20 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  LoneEagle0607
my red Matthews Prestige is shooting great. Bob's Sporting Goods got me all set up and tuned up. I'm nailing that little round orange dot on the target very well:) Want to practice a little more and get used to it, then I'm looking forward to shooting with y'all at DCWC. It's got a whole different feel than my Diamond Edge. I'm loving it so far. :RockOn: Have to go to work this evening but planning on shooting this weekend.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
my red Matthews Prestige is shooting great. Bob's Sporting Goods got me all set up and tuned up. I'm nailing that little round orange dot on the target very well:) Want to practice a little more and get used to it, then I'm looking forward to shooting with y'all at DCWC. It's got a whole different feel than my Diamond Edge. I'm loving it so far. :RockOn: Have to go to work this evening but planning on shooting this weekend.
Great news - but we need PICTURES!!! Come on out to DCWC tomorrow - you need to practice like you compete and what better time/place could you ask for? :wink:

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about coming out tomorrow. I do need the practice. I do want to make the shoot on the 18th for sure. Who knows by then I might be ready to bet a crispy:eek: I'm working the late shift so I'll have to see how I feel in the morning. I'll have to get directions how to get there. Better run or I'll be late for work. I'll check back in tonight:)

· Registered
34,529 Posts
That is a bad little bow for sure I shot one for a little while a couple years ago.....

and at your specs it is a super choice. :thumb:

· Registered
2,380 Posts
Just think how fun it will be coming out to play toting that stuning red bow.
My little red Scepter might like to cozy up next to your prestige on the bow rack when nobody is watching. Woo Ho.

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
My little red Scepter might like to cozy up next to your prestige on the bow rack when nobody is watching. Woo Ho.
And then what - you too won't be able to shoot anymore since you'll have to carry little Martin Mathew to his soccer games. :eek:

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a bad little bow for sure I shot one for a little while a couple years ago.....

and at your specs it is a super choice. :thumb:
Thanks Brown Hornet. Looking forward to improving my game with this bow. It's nice to have a good bow for short draw archers.

Jarlicker's bow is already after my bow and they haven't even seen each other yet:confused: My bow would love to shoot with your red bow Jarlicker:wink:

Little Martin Matthew would have to find his own way to the soccer game because mom & pop would be on the range:tongue:

· Registered
34,529 Posts
Goat Boy...stop scaring people:D

· Registered
34,529 Posts
Thanks Brown Hornet. Looking forward to improving my game with this bow. It's nice to have a good bow for short draw archers.

Jarlicker's bow is already after my bow and they haven't even seen each other yet:confused: My bow would love to shoot with your red bow Jarlicker:wink:

Little Martin Matthew would have to find his own way to the soccer game because mom & pop would be on the range:tongue:
I was very impressed with that bow for sure....it wasn't what I wanted in a target bow but it was a shooter and a great hunting bow for me....but many love it for target.:wink:

Now we need to get you some arrows that are a better spine match....might as well make it as forgiving as possible:)

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was very impressed with that bow for sure....it wasn't what I wanted in a target bow but it was a shooter and a great hunting bow for me....but many love it for target.:wink:

Now we need to get you some arrows that are a better spine match....might as well make it as forgiving as possible:)
What do you recommend for arrows for spot shooting with my set up?

· Registered
4,738 Posts
What do you recommend for arrows for spot shooting with my set up?
We need to know the following...

Draw length
Draw weight
Arrow length...(though we can extrapolate this from the Draw length)...

I am going to go out on a limb and say one of the following arrows (spine size will have to wait until we get the above info...):
Easton Redlines (thats what lil' bow peep is using)- lowest cost
Easton Acc's (3-04???)- Little more $$$, but worth it IMHO for the consistancy and durability...
CX Medallions- Somewhere between the ACCS and redlines $$$ wise, but I have heard they are a good arrow...plus I have to put in a non easton product (I am personally still boycotting)...

Or if you want the higher end stuff, Nanos or ACE/x-10's but that's really a bit much most likely...

· Registered
4,738 Posts
:doh: just saw your information in your signature and also realized I may not have answered your question...

If you want a fat shaft for indoor, just get whatever you like, spine is of less concern...

For outdoor target (Field, FITA and even maybe 3-d) as I think all these arrows will come out close to what your lightspeeds weigh. I used OT2 for spine selection and for approximate weights:
Easton ACC 3x-04 with 100 grain point cut to 24" of carbon - 296.02 grains
Easton Redline 780- 100 grain point cut to 24.5"- 300.23
CX Medallion 850- 80 grain point 24"- 306

(Your redlines weigh 297 using the same assumptions for nock and vanes as I did for the other arrows)

All the above will give you good FOC for target and field shooting and a reasonably light small diameter arrow...

· Registered
8,684 Posts
We need to know the following...

Draw length
Draw weight
Arrow length...(though we can extrapolate this from the Draw length)...

I am going to go out on a limb and say one of the following arrows (spine size will have to wait until we get the above info...):
Easton Redlines (thats what lil' bow peep is using)- lowest cost
Easton Acc's (3-04???)- Little more $$$, but worth it IMHO for the consistancy and durability...
CX Medallions- Somewhere between the ACCS and redlines $$$ wise, but I have heard they are a good arrow...plus I have to put in a non easton product (I am personally still boycotting)...

Or if you want the higher end stuff, Nanos or ACE/x-10's but that's really a bit much most likely...
Sarge are you fimilar with the McKinney 2 arrow shaft by Carbon Tech? According to web site these will out preform easton Navigator and ACE's..

wonder how they hold up???

Oh and I shot ACC on the Hill and shot redlines at Durham last time I was down. Redlines do OK in field, one can get into the 520's with redlines and decide if the arrow is holdin them back from there.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Sarge are you fimilar with the McKinney 2 arrow shaft by Carbon Tech? According to web site these will out preform easton Navigator and ACE's..

wonder how they hold up???

Oh and I shot ACC on the Hill and shot redlines at Durham last time I was down. Redlines do OK in field, one can get into the 520's with redlines and decide if the arrow is holdin them back from there.
Yes I am familiar with them...very good arrow and if you use a pin nock bushing they hold up pretty well. (I got 9 from hornet to play with and I like them pretty good)...very consistant spine wise and shoot well. I am also going to shoot CT arrows (Hippos) for indoor this year. I think they make a very good arrow, they just aren't cheap...

· Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys

So if I'm wanting to shoot logs then spine doesn't matter? I've heard good things about the Redlines. Thanks for the info. I'll have to experiment and see what works best. I have 3 older LineJammer 350 Carbon Express arrows that were given to me that shoot great! Unfortunately they don't make thoses anymore.
Specs: DL 25 DW 40, arrow length 24 inches with 85 gr. tips. Shot great when paper tuned, Easton Lightspeeds that is.
I'm open to any other suggestions and helpful tips.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
So if I'm wanting to shoot logs then spine doesn't matter? I've heard good things about the Redlines. Thanks for the info. I'll have to experiment and see what works best. I have 3 older LineJammer 350 Carbon Express arrows that were given to me that shoot great! Unfortunately they don't make thoses anymore.
Specs: DL 25 DW 40, arrow length 24 inches with 85 gr. tips. Shot great when paper tuned, Easton Lightspeeds that is.
The standard of the industry that all try to meet is X7's, one of the greatest shooting short shaft arrows ever X7--1714---they will group/fly as good or better than all the rest at 100yds and beyond as well as you could ever shoot.

I shot 1714-X7s at 53# 23in for 20 yrs tried many others--these were the best. Very tuff shaft at those lengths works well with light points. I usually shot 60gr pt.

Now days they are one of the least $$ so its an easy gamble. They are still .001 straight.

They will shoot so well that if they are 20-30gr heavy you won't care.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Shooting logs for indoor at 20 yds I would say that spine is of very little importance. I shot x-jammers at like 50 lbs...even at 30" of shaft with 225 grains in the point, that arrow was still off the chart weak for me...Shoot a pm to kward...I'm sure she would be happy to give you all kind of good advice on indoor arrow selection...

For indoor I would lean toward the x-7's in 2512 for you with a big heavy point (250-300 grains) left at about 27"....I always had better luck with the 2512 than anything else...

For everything else I personally would go with either the Acc's or CX Medallions. Neither is much more $$$ than the Redlines, but the A/C arrows for field or FITA (outdoor target) are simply more consistant than the Redlines. I shot ACCs for outdoor events almost exclusively until this year...I wish I hadn't sold all of mine to Prag...

· Registered
2,380 Posts
X Jammers are one very stiff arrow....
After much testing over the last couple years using X Jammers. The NC Barn Rats clan has seen X Jammers fly and score much better when shot of of a bow with at least 55 lbs on it. All other variables in set up made only small differences. Major improvements were made once we got at least the 55 lbs draw on the bows. Arrow length, point weight, fletching and nocks were all played with. A lot of different bow set ups were used and studied.
Testing was done with several different shooters with out their knowledge of this study. So they could not influense it in any way.
Excellent results in fine tuning could happen once the weight got up to about 60 pounds.

Lone eagle I am like Ivory Soap on this one If you like Line Jammers I am 99.8% Sure I have some for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.