Archery Talk Forum banner

Got my switchback today

1579 Views 19 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  dmk
I went and picked up my switchback today. 29" with 60lbs limbs on it. The bow is what everybody said it would be. No vibration at all, draws smooth, releases smooth, and all you hear is the arrow it. Shoots good at long distances too. I rate it a 10.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
689 Posts
Lx

My Lx is very smooth, no shock. The Outback has even less :eek: I have not shot the Switch yet but seen them, I have to say it looks sweet, if only 2 or 3in longer. The guys at the shop was shooting them and they also said that it had less shock then the Outback without a stabilizer, wow.

· Registered
2,070 Posts
i heard it doesnt have a draw stop. is this true? if so this really turns me off from this bow. i would rather have the outback or allegience if it has no draw stop.

· Registered
151 Posts
GREAT PRICE the Scheels store (aka pro shop) wants 719.00 for the same bow. They told me they could not budge on the price because Mathews is price fixed, meaning if they (scheels) sell below what mathews price they establish, they could loose the ability to sell mathews bows. So, my next question is are they just feeding me a line of hard core BS?

· Registered
10,661 Posts
Switchback

oneeye said:
GREAT PRICE the Scheels store (aka pro shop) wants 719.00 for the same bow. They told me they could not budge on the price because Mathews is price fixed, meaning if they (scheels) sell below what mathews price they establish, they could loose the ability to sell mathews bows. So, my next question is are they just feeding me a line of hard core BS?
THEY ARE FEEDING YOU A BUNCH OF ----! WE HAVE 2 PROSHOPS IN MY AREA, ONE SELLS THEM FOR 660.00 AND THE OTHER FOR 639.00!

· Registered
22 Posts
Outback better than Switchback?

I've been mulling over a new hunting bow this year even though I'm very happy with my Razortec,and have been watching the Switchback threads very closely, and to me from what I am reading the Outback might still be the better choice for a hunting bow?

I have read multiple threads here and on other boards about the AMO drawlength on the Switchback running long by 1/2 to 3/4"? Apparently the Outback draw lengths were pretty good but every Switchback I have read about sounds very long?

A buddy of mine was thinking along the same lines as myself and shot the Switchback last week and told me he was disappointed in the way it drew, it was a 70# model and he said it drew like a truck. We both liked the Outback alot, and to him he said the Outback is the nicer bow. Oddly he also said that he felt the valley was nicer on the Outback? Maybe because the draw length was causing him to be overdrawn on the Switchback of the same specs? :confused:

I found a thread on Huntingnet where a guy felt similar and he also mentioned the draw length differences.....here's what he had to say:

"Tonight I went to a local dealer near my work to reexamine my decision and to do another comparison of the Switchback and Outback. I offered to pay him to try the bows but he didn't care. The results were mostly as discussed with a few distictions. Both bows had the 29" cam in the proper rotation and turned down to 62lbs. The Outback I shot there was actually a hair quieter, maybe because they were turned down. The draw cycle of the Switchback was a hair stouter but appreciably smoother, I spent some time on that and I think it feels a hair stouter because of the longer power stroke. No doubt the valley was better on the Switchback and letting down was much smoother with the Switchback, there is no hump. The back wall is much better on the Outback. The Switchback held better except that "for me" the back wall of the Outback made up for that. When I held right and released clean, the Switchback was more accurate and for 3D I might prefer the Switchback. The Outback however was more forgiving and for hunting I definitely prefer the Outback. I could shoot fast and loose with the Outback and still maintain 2" groups at 20 with a bow that isn't even setup for me. The Switchback while more accurate was more critical. The Outback is definitely more manueverable. The Switchback ran long, it felt a good half inch longer than the Outback. I would need a half inch shorter Switchback and there would go any performance advantage. The Outback IMO only, is the better pure hunting bow. And it was a joy to shoot, it felt good in my hands."

I am still gong to give the Switchback a try, and form my own opinion but the draw length thing worries me, I will be sure to measure it when I get my hands on one. No sense getting a bow for the extra advertised performance Vs. my current bow when it's coming from a misrepresented drawlength.

LXhunting, could you please measure your AMO draw length and let us know if yours is also long?

· Registered
291 Posts
SB vs OB

Allday,

I shot the SB yesterday along side an Outback, LX and my Legacy. Spent plenty of time shooting to get a good comparison. All were labeled 29" and all felt right on.

I'm ordering the Switchback because it just felt the best to me.

Don't get too concerned with what you read on this and other forums regarding the SB. You've got to go and shoot one yourself. If you like it, order you correct draw length. If it's not right, don't accept it until it is corrected or replaced. Mathews and their dealers are going to stand behind their product and will take care of you. If you're still are concerned, discuss it with your pro shop. If you're still unsure, call Mathews direct and discuss it with them!

· Registered
946 Posts
Those were my comments that were pasted. In addition, I also felt that the Switchback was the better all around bow and that if I was looking for a 3D/Hunting bow I would favor the Switchback. I also felt that for those who prefer a longer ATA bow the Switchback would be preferable. The Switchback holds and balances like a target bow. I think that many will buy it for that attribute alone. My comparison of the 2 was biased in terms of evaluating them purely in terms of a treestand hunting bow based on my specific preferences.

· Registered
300 Posts
Just want to address a few points. These are strictly my opinions. We have the outback and the switchback, we shoot them side by side everyday. The Switchback does not have draw stops like the outback BUT it has the same back wall. SOLID. SEVERAL people have shot both these bows side by side and agree there is no difference in the back wall. My bow came 28" draw and 70# and was right on. As for one being better - hands down. The switchback is noticeably quieter and is a little faster about 9 fps. The outback is a great bow and you wouldn't be disappointed but just like normal - they improved again. And will next year. My bow is set at 60#, 28" draw w/d loop, one knock, 1 set of string bats and no stabalizer on it yet and when shooting indoors (small area) the arrow hitting the target is way louder then the bow. Defineatly try one out for awhile and you won't regret it. :)

· ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Here's the speed from the one in my shop. 29" 69# according to my scale. The arrow weighs 413gr and the switchback shot 285fps.

The only thing on the string was a loop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.