Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up in an area I had a camera on seeing lots of does coming into acorns starting to fall. At 7:35 AM I had 2 very large does come in and each had 2 small fawns with them so I gave them both a free pass. At 8:15 AM I saw a medium size doe heading my way and then another about the same size coming up behind her so I figured I was looking at two 1 1/2 YO does without fawns. That turned out to be the case and the larger one started feeding on a few dropped acorns direct down wind of me and behind me. I eased up and got turned around in my climbers and shot her free hand at 18 yards. She ran almost 50 yards and took a dirt nap. I had her gutted out, dragged, loaded and in the cooler by 10 AM. :)
Only pic I got as I was hunting alone.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,534 Posts
Congrats on your first of the year kill Robert! some nice eating right there!

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice! Really like those morning kills, no need to rush, no stumbling around in the dark, no late night tracking/gutting, dragging, skinning, boning sessions. No matter what happens next, your season is already a success. Good job!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Congrats! Nice doe and shot!

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Nice one for the freezer! Congrats !

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
That is a great start on the new season, congrats

·
today's macguyver
5,611 Posts
Congrats Robert !!
They are letting us shoot does this year in archery season , so i plan on putting one in the freezer myself !!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats Robert !!
They are letting us shoot does this year in archery season , so i plan on putting one in the freezer myself !!
I am allowed 10 every year but usually only shoot 1 for the freezer unless someone asks me to take one for them. Seeing them ever day now that I got one. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am allowed 10 every year but usually only shoot 1 for the freezer unless someone asks me to take one for them. Seeing them ever day now that I got one. :)
Is that legal in your state to shoot deer for somebody else? In my state it is illegal to have somebody else tag a deer that you shot, unless that person is hunting with you and within sight or hearing distance.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is totally legal for me to kill and claim the deer by online registration and then give it away. I always take the deer to the local processor to be processed and tell them who will show up to pay for it and pick up the deer. We quit using tags years ago. It is done online for deer and turkeys.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry. I totally misunderstood what you were saying. Thought you were shooting deer and somebody else registering. Yes, in my state we have call in or online registration also, with a designated authorization tag to correspond to specific registration. We could also do the same as shooting deer, registering, and then giving it away. In the county that I hunt we are allowed one antlered deer and two antlerless deer, Only other regulation regarding transfer of venison is it is illegal to sell it. Good luck hunting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts