Archery Talk Forum banner

Gotta Love Public Land

769 12
Just got in from hunting my "prime archery stand." I've killed my archery buck out of this stand in each of the previous two seasons. This is a stand that I prepped in mid-August, and I have left it alone since then to keep the human scent at a minimum. The season opened Saturday, but I waited until today to hunt this stand to get the wind right. On my walk in, I couldn't help but notice a lot of really fresh atv tracks leading in the direction I was going. Within the last few days, someone has built a 10'x10' hunting shanty, complete with multi-colored aluminum siding within bowrange of my tree! Needless to say, I saw nothing this evening, and pretty sure I won't harvest a third consecutive buck from this tree.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

10,284 Posts
Just got in from hunting my "prime archery stand." I've killed my archery buck out of this stand in each of the previous two seasons. This is a stand that I prepped in mid-August, and I have left it alone since then to keep the human scent at a minimum. The season opened Saturday, but I waited until today to hunt this stand to get the wind right. On my walk in, I couldn't help but notice a lot of really fresh atv tracks leading in the direction I was going. Within the last few days, someone has built a 10'x10' hunting shanty, complete with multi-colored aluminum siding within bowrange of my tree! Needless to say, I saw nothing this evening, and pretty sure I won't harvest a third consecutive buck from this tree.
Nice...:rolleyes: Some people...:zip:

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I meant private land that is completely unregulated (I guy owns it, but everyone hunts it, rides atv's on it, etc.) It's not gamelands or national forest.

· Human Bean
15,545 Posts
Sorry, I meant private land that is completely unregulated (I guy owns it, but everyone hunts it, rides atv's on it, etc.) It's not gamelands or national forest.
I infer from this that you are basically trespassing on this guys land, as there is no mention of getting permission, but an admission of "Everyone else does it, so I may as well too..." If this is the case, I don't feel bad for you in the slightest.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've got permission. The guys a neighbor. He's an older guy, and doesn't chase anyone off his land. He's frustrated with all of the posted hunting leases popping up in our area, so he refuses to post his land. Some others have permission also, but many do not.

· Human Bean
15,545 Posts
Yeah, I've got permission. The guys a neighbor. He's an older guy, and doesn't chase anyone off his land. He's frustrated with all of the posted hunting leases popping up in our area, so he refuses to post his land. Some others have permission also, but many do not.
Thats different then, and certainly does suck. Where I hunt (shotgun/rifle) there are a lot of people that seem to be of the mind that unposted land = open to public hunting. Since this is the area where I grew up at, and its my Family I hunt with, we have permission, but a lot of the other people there do not.....and they have no resepct for the landowner either.

· Registered
2,489 Posts
Thats why here in WI we are not allowed to keep stands up on public land evev over night.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not whining, just venting. Without laying down the money to be on a lease, I run into things like this. The land isn't mine.. so I can't expect to have it to myself.

· Registered
14,726 Posts
WOW, That was nice of someone to build you a new hunting shack, sounds like you just need a painter,,,:wink: You now The Hood is A PAINTER:darkbeer: I'd camo that shack out and take a seat..

I dont get it, why you worried about scent?? everyone and his brother is all over the place you have said....I hunt a ATV state park and the deer are all over the place all day long. If you can't beat them, join them, get a ATV and drive to your stand. Hell use that guys shack for a parking garage and walk to your stand.....................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.