Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe I ain't the guy to be whining about this, as I don't attend all the events, and I probably ain't gonna set any scoring records regardless, but it still pisses me off.
I like to hit some of if not all the Triple crown events, and I've noticed that the rule book seems to be going by the way side. At Franklin for the second leg I shot courses A,B,C,D., and there were 4 targets with obstructed scoring rings. 3 of them were insignificant portions of the 8 rings, but #9 on the A course had a 4 inch tree blocking a portion of the 10 ring, and due to the lighting, it was almost invisible. Now I know everyone had to shoot it, and I know it takes a lot of work to set these courses but dammit man. RULES ARE RULES! Why are they in the book if they aren't gonna be followed.
Next thing is that Max yardage seems to have become nothing more than a rough suggestion. 35 max, 38 is close enough.
And while I'm at it, has it been ruled that the shooter needs only to be in the same zip code as the shooting stake, cause NOBODY seems to touch it during the shot anymore. The rule book says the stake may be placed in a way to challenge the shooter. That's all good if everyone touches it, but if only half the people stand in the "challenging " position it ain't right.
Maybe this is all minor stuff to most, but it eats at me.
So I apologize if you're mad about the time you used to read this that you'll never get back, but maybe people will read and add to the list, and maybe the complaints will be found and heard by the I.B.O. and they can attempt a fix.
I would love to see the attendance go back up, but I fear their reluctance to listen to the people will only cause more people to leave.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I shot a solid 8 on that fallow deer and was ok with it, because I could see the 10/11 rings from the stake but was scared over by the tree. As far as the 35 yard max? I don’t think there were any 38 yard targets on those ranges from the yellow stake, but 38 would be fine with me as it keeps you honest judging the 35 yard targets and not able to just put max on one that looks far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was only out of the 10 by about an 1/8", but it says "unobstructed " . If it was a half inch into the right side of the 8 not too big of a deal.
38 may be a stretch, but I don't think that bedded elk was far from it.

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't remember anything in Franklin, tho I smacked the tar out of a small tree in Pipestem on what I think was the Dahl sheep. Definitely has been some shots that depending on how you stand on the stake, you can get some obstruction. I do remember seeing some marked up trees on the way to some targets to score.

I don't know about the max yards, I wasn't shooting yellow, but I always figure it can go 2 over, but never hold that. If I think it's max plus 2, I'll hit bottom 10 and be fine with that.

I just wish people went by actually touching the line, instead of you hit close enough to pull it, just cause it pulled don't mean you touching it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, I was only out of the 10 by about an 1/8", but it says "unobstructed " . If it was a half inch into the right side of the 8 not too big of a deal.
38 may be a stretch, but I don't think that bedded elk was far from it.

View attachment 7647599
That Elk was the best set of the shoot, and being the first target he got a lot of people. The target didn’t match the ground, he looked 30 and on the ground looked 36. He wasn’t over 37, my group and I agreed on 36 as we went to the next target.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't remember anything in Franklin, tho I smacked the tar out of a small tree in Pipestem on what I think was the Dahl sheep. Definitely has been some shots that depending on how you stand on the stake, you can get some obstruction. I do remember seeing some marked up trees on the way to some targets to score.

I don't know about the max yards, I wasn't shooting yellow, but I always figure it can go 2 over, but never hold that. If I think it's max plus 2, I'll hit bottom 10 and be fine with that.

I just wish people went by actually touching the line, instead of you hit close enough to pull it, just cause it pulled don't mean you touching it.
As an ASA guy who only shoots Rineharts at IBOs, I struggle with the hair on those targets. But, if it doesn’t touch it don’t count…

·
Registered
78 Posts
As an ASA guy who only shoots Rineharts at IBOs, I struggle with the hair on those targets. But, if it doesn’t touch it don’t count…
Guy argued with me a few weeks ago on an ASA target about an air bubble or void in the foam. The void touched the line, then touched the shaft. He claimed the void is part of the line, that was a new one on me.

Guess you do that enough it can add up a bit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't get me wrong, all in all I enjoy myself a lot at these places, and I know there's a ton of work that goes into an event of this size. And really for the most part stuff is run pretty well. There's just those few things that eat at me, and some of it I hear echoed by other shooters.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I didnt shoot ABCD but one of our buddies shot did and he didnt say anything about obstruct killzones, but that doesnt mean there weren't any. Last year at oipestem there were 2 targets that were obstruct and they were noticed. IMHO Tom does a great job setup the Franklin courses and if there were obstructed shots, he must have just missed it. But either way, imwith you....it shouldnt happen.

As for the stake, my bitch is when people step on it so they can gain 10" one way or the other and still touch it. Eventually it becomes hard to find.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess maybe that's why they're bent, I always assumed people were a little more honest than that, and that they were bent from being step on or tripped over.
I have seen people not even attempt touching them, just standing within 2 feet of it.
I'd like to see a ball on top of the stake, sometimes those flat pieces get knife edged and are hard to find.
And I do totally agree, all in all they do a great job clearing and setting the courses and running the events in general

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I think it is up to the group to police the rules when it comes to touching the stake. If someone is 2' from it, then I'm saying something before they shoot. If they dont move to touch it, its a zero.

I don't worry about it if they are straddling it, and not touching it, but if they are gaining an advantage by being that far from it, then hell yes I'm calling it. Even if they aren't in my class.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can't comment on the obstruction I didn't shoot those courses but I had friends who did and didn't say anything about it, but that doesnt mean it wasnt there. The feedback I got was they were some of the best courses that have ever been set. If you see something that is against the rules speak up, call it. If they don't like it then call in a range official. More often than not the guys who are bending the rules aren't the ones putting up high scores and winning.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I shot the same ranges at Franklin and I noticed what you are taking about. The A 9 fallow deer had a small right side portion of the 10 covered by a tree at least from where the shooting stake was when our group came through. I held my pin right on the edge of the tree and focused on making a good shot as I have a tendency to pull away subconsciously in that scenario. My arrow grazed the tree but did stick in the 8 ring. I was surprised to see a target set like that and wondered if someone that came through earlier moved the stake.

As far as the max yardage goes I noticed a couple targets were flirting with max. I’m not great at judging yardage but the elk seemed far as I shot it for max 35 and was a low 10 about 2” below the 11. Target D 4 the large deer that was uphill with poor footing I also shot for max but broke low and ended up with a 5. I was thinking he might have been closer to 37 but again I broke about 6:00 in the 10. I’m not too worked up about the yardage, I just need to get better at judging… lol

As far as the shooting stakes go I believe it is up to the group to enforce the touch the shooting stake rule. I noticed when our group went through the majority of the stakes had been bent flat to the ground and I also noticed some other shooters rotating the bent stakes to gain better footing. I can say everyone I shot with touched the stake in whatever position it was in when we got to the target. I tend to agree that the stakes should be made of some more substantial material so they can’t be bent to gain a footing advantage. I think the old whisker stakes that looked like a turkey beard they used to use couldn’t really be manipulated either without intentionally pulling them and moving them.

All in all I had a good time even though I didn’t not shoot to the best of my abilities and I’m looking forward to improving in Nelsonville.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Rule should be inside out. Eliminate the guess work IMO.

·
NC ASA Director
36,141 Posts
Rule should be inside out. Eliminate the guess work IMO.
That does nothing but make the scoring rings smaller. You would still have to check to see if it was touching the inner line for a lower score.

Reactions: OCD Bowman

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That does nothing but make the scoring rings smaller. You would still have to check to see if it was touching the inner line for a lower score.
Just like shooting for the truck at TAC. It's either in and not touching the line at all or it's not. Simple.

Reactions: sagecreek

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still comes down to somebody's judgment, we all know the edge of the line isn't always as clear as it oughta be, wether it's the inside of the line or outside of it. Instead of thinking it's touching, they'd think it's not touching.
Until they post a range official at every target there will always be a discrepancy about touching/ not touching.
I'd like to see a yardage list posted online after the completion of the shoot. People that are so inclined could keep notes and check their numbers afterwards. And it may keep the setup crews honest if they gotta post their ranged distances.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts