Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I'm trying to get an idea of how many grains per inch all of you are shooting with your hunting rig. I realize that it varies from animal to animal but I'm primarily targeting the white tail hunters here.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I am using the maxima 250's they are 7.3gr per inch (27.5 inches in length)with a 100 gr striker. arrows are durable and straight. I have a 28.5 inch draw @ 69 lbs. pushing 290 fps.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigbowman14 said:
I am using the maxima 250's they are 7.3gr per inch (27.5 inches in length)with a 100 gr striker. arrows are durable and straight. I have a 28.5 inch draw @ 69 lbs. pushing 290 fps.

but would that put you under 5 gpi?

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
cujrh10 said:
but would that put you under 5 gpi?
You want to stay above 5 grains per each lbs. of draw weight. You can shoot as long or short of an arrow as you want, as long as you don't got below that minimum.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meleagris1 said:
You want to stay above 5 grains per each lbs. of draw weight. You can shoot as long or short of an arrow as you want, as long as you don't got below that minimum.

should i be concerned with shooting 5.3-5.5 or should i be all right?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
cujrh10 said:
should i be concerned with shooting 5.3-5.5 or should i be all right?
maxima has a chart on their box of arrows..if i would shoot #70 they recommend the 350's . I am inside there guidelines. I shoot out to 60 yrds. and they seem to do just fine.your draw length and poundage is what u look at when looking at the charts. some manufactures are diff.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meleagris1 said:
What is your draw weight and total arrow weight?

I know how to figure grains per pound I just dont know how safe shooting an arrow between 5.3-5.5 grains per pound is.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I shoot Carbon Express Terminator Hunters at 12 g.p.i

ya, I went for the heavy side, but I like the K.E over speed

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
arrow weight

I know Some dont worry about grains per inch, but use grain per pound 6-7 for deer 7-8 for elk and moose. I am at 8.5 gr/pound right now but I also am shooting rocket stricknine so want some extra arrow weight to knock deer right off feet. 540 grain arrwo 245 fps. 69. ft/lbs ke

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
muckdog said:
Maybe he's shooting quickspins with a lumenock....then you add an insert and the arrow is pushing 350 grains total.:)
Maybe I am a little confused. If the chart on the box says you can shoot something, why would I shoot something else?My arrows are 27.5" long and my draw weight is 69# with 100gr tip.How do i figure gpi?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All right, I'm shooting 29" arrows with a 30" draw at 67 lbs. The arrows are the maxima 250's fletched with blazers. I am also using 100 grain heads. I am a little concerned that I am shooting under the 5 grains per pound limit. However, these arrows shoot really well for me. Perfect bullet holes. What do you guys think. Do I need the 350's?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I would defenitel stay way above 5 grains per inch for hunting. Not just for saftey reasons but also to keep you KE up.

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,719 Posts
bigbowman14 said:
Maybe I am a little confused. If the chart on the box says you can shoot something, why would I shoot something else?My arrows are 27.5" long and my draw weight is 69# with 100gr tip.How do i figure gpi?
using 20 grains for your fletching and 12 for your nock and 12 for the insert it works out to right at 5 grains per pound .. kind of light.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
22jdub said:
I would defenitel stay way above 5 grains per inch for hunting. Not just for saftey reasons but also to keep you KE up.
Believe me i am not trying to start anything. Sorry if it seems like i am highjacking . I thought i was in the good area with my set up. My kinetic energy is higher than it was with the bemans I was shooting. I really dont think KE is an issue. What would be the main purpose to stay way above 5gpi? What kind of safety issues are we talking about. I use the 250's straight out of the box.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6bloodychunks said:
using 20 grains for your fletching and 12 for your nock and 12 for the insert it works out to right at 5 grains per pound .. kind of light.

Thats kind of what I was thinking

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bigbowman14 said:
Believe me i am not trying to start anything. Sorry if it seems like i am highjacking . I thought i was in the good area with my set up. My kinetic energy is higher than it was with the bemans I was shooting. I really dont think KE is an issue. What would be the main purpose to stay way above 5gpi? What kind of safety issues are we talking about. I use the 250's straight out of the box.

By shooting under 5 it would forfeit most bow warrantys

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
cujrh10 said:
By shooting under 5 it would forfeit most bow warrantys
I am so close its not funny. I need to see what exactly my poundage is..if its 68 i am over 5....with 345 gr. arrow. If its 69 I am at 5gr. MY KE is 67, I believe it only takes 30 or 32 to pass through a deer..I dont know about bad angles, and longer distances. that would be interesting though. I dont want to be under 5 if it will effect my warranty...Thanks ALOT!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts