Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what People’s thoughts are on shooting around 4.8 to 5.1 gpp on a new bow.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
It’s a great way to have limb issues on any modern compound bow. An amazing amount of energy goes into the arrow and the arrow needs a reasonable amount of weight per inch to safely take on that energy.
Can you get away with it...for a short amount of time but is it worth it in the end?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
alot ofpeople do it for speed.but you have to remember the more under spec'd gpp you are, the closer your bow is to continually operating in a dry fire condition.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Factory speed ratings are done at 5gpp with nothing on the strings, so you might calculate a slight cushion for your peep, string silencers, etc, but on most new bows it voids the warranty. I've done it, and on "like to blow up" BowTechs, but found no real advantage and I was shooting really light DWs. Not an endorsement for doing so, my bow was louder/more vibration and my groups worse, and if you're shooting higher poundages it may be more difficult to not go too weak of spine to get down there, and the speed gain is going to be relatively low.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I try to stay around 6.5 grains per pound for a light arrow. I have accidentally fired a few arrows that I forgot to screw a point on. It did not damage the bow but I would not want to do it much. I would be interested to know if there was a bow and string combination that has withstood a few thousand shots from a 4 to 5 grain arrow. It would be interesting to know . I rarely even shoot my lighter arrows anymore. 7.5 to 8 grains is what I shoot for a light arrow now most of the time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm using 4.9 gpp arrows for 3d with my Prime Nexus 4. 292gr arrows, 59.5# bow. No issues so far, not many shots fired yet though. I'd go even lighter to get more speed but have no time to test arrow flight snd tune property.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,112 Posts
I shoot 274gr arrow 59.6# DW and no problems, Reckoning 35. Shooting unknown 3D, World Arhcery rules.
I have 32 grains at string, peep+loop. Not center serving, peep tying etc. calculated but maybe few grains more from those.
Been shooting since 2019 summer with that gpp and tens of thousands shots.

Maybe it's "Blowtech" but I haven't found that character from my bow yet 😂

I did shoot exactly same arrows, same DW thru my Halon X Comp before Reckoning and no problems there either.

·
Registered
51,122 Posts
Just wondering what People’s thoughts are on shooting around 4.8 to 5.1 gpp on a new bow.
Why would you even consider it!!!!! There is absolutely not reason or sense in doing it. Especially if your over 50 or 55 pounds. Your asking for nothing but trouble.
Sounds like your chasing speed. Accuracy/common sense trumps speed period.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
842 Posts
I tried that when speed was bigger deal. The bow blow up on me at the shot. Parts went everywhere and the bow was a total loss. Do want you want, but I can tell you from first hand experience you are living on borrowed time.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'm running 5.75 GPI on a Bowtech Reckoning 35. That is pretty light IMO. 28" DL 60.3lbs 347TAW 277FPS. The arrow is a Victory VTAC 25 27" CTC 100gr point with AAE Max PRO vanes.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Go for it. It’s not going to hurt anything. If you think about it the 5gpp is a pretty simple number for a complex situation. 5gpp is a lot different on a 30” DL 80# 360 IBObow than it is on a 26” 50# 320IBO bow.

There is no science behind it.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,789 Posts
It's a fact that the 5 GPP rule is a one-size fits all rule. If your draw is 26 you do not create ANYWHERE near the energy a guy does at 32 inches. If you shoot 50 pounds or 75 that matters too because it's not the same........the bows IBO also comes into play if you really think about it.....and that's just a few big ones.

So IMO there is NO way the companies can set a standard minimum weight for everyone. Heck we can't even agree on spine or FOC and that's very straight forward.......lol can you imagine the can-o-worms THAT would be if they tried to set a minimum arrow weight for every persons spec's..........lol

If you are a hunter and shooting 5 GPP you probably are too obsessed with speed........and if you target shoot I'd go right to 5 GPP.....why not? Less draw weight and the lightest arrow has the same trajectory as more weight and a heavier arrow and penetration doesn't matter...........what are you doing with this bow?

Also have worked in a calibration lab it's comical too me that many people take these readings form their equipment as gospel. Your 4.8 - 5.1 could really be 4.3 - 5.8 because you have no idea how accurate you equipment is....it could be worse! That's not a big deal if you choose to shoot 6 GPP but when you start playing around with under 5 and you have incorrect data you are playing with disaster.

Reactions: rjack and JeffB

·
Registered
24,101 Posts
435/60= 7.25gpp......this is what I have been shooting for years. Not chasing speed or extreme FOC....both ends of the spectrum deal with suppositions and falacies. Running your bow close to the dry-fire threshold is putting yourself and your gear in future danger....up to you....NOT for me.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,713 Posts
Why would you even consider it!!!!! There is absolutely not reason or sense in doing it. Especially if your over 50 or 55 pounds. Your asking for nothing but trouble.
Sounds like your chasing speed. Accuracy/common sense trumps speed period.
I completely agree with this! It is just asking for an issue. There is no reason to play such a risky game in the name of gaining a little speed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I completely agree with this! It is just asking for an issue. There is no reason to play such a risky game in the name of gaining a little speed.
Well, going from 7gpp to 5gpp gives you 15-20% increase in speed. That's massive for unknown 3d.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,713 Posts
Well, going from 7gpp to 5gpp gives you 15-20% increase in speed. That's massive for unknown 3d.
I guess if people like playing with fire and don’t mind taking risks then have at it. I prefer to play it safe as there are too many things that can go wrong when ya push the envelope.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
It's a fact that the 5 GPP rule is a one-size fits all rule. If your draw is 26 you do not create ANYWHERE near the energy a guy does at 32 inches. If you shoot 50 pounds or 75 that matters too because it's not the same........the bows IBO also comes into play if you really think about it.....and that's just a few big ones.

So IMO there is NO way the companies can set a standard minimum weight for everyone. Heck we can't even agree on spine or FOC and that's very straight forward.......lol can you imagine the can-o-worms THAT would be if they tried to set a minimum arrow weight for every persons spec's..........lol

If you are a hunter and shooting 5 GPP you probably are too obsessed with speed........and if you target shoot I'd go right to 5 GPP.....why not? Less draw weight and the lightest arrow has the same trajectory as more weight and a heavier arrow and penetration doesn't matter...........what are you doing with this bow?

Also have worked in a calibration lab it's comical too me that many people take these readings form their equipment as gospel. Your 4.8 - 5.1 could really be 4.3 - 5.8 because you have no idea how accurate you equipment is....it could be worse! That's not a big deal if you choose to shoot 6 GPP but when you start playing around with under 5 and you have incorrect data you are playing with disaster.
This.

Somebody shooting 5GPP at 70/30" draw length is pounding their limbs a helluva lot harder all day long than somebody at 27"/70. Kids and women are particularly punished by this "rule of thumb"

It's just a CYA warranty spec that fit in nicely with IBO regulations, BITD. When IBO competition got big, manufacturers dropped their then standard 6GPP warranty spec without batting an eyelash.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I guess if people like playing with fire and don’t mind taking risks then have at it. I prefer to play it safe as there are too many things that can go wrong when ya push the envelope.
No other options available. In Europe every 3d shoot is under WA rules - unknown distance only, 60# bows max, no electronic devices allowed, etc. No speed limits though.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,713 Posts
No other options available. In Europe every 3d shoot is under WA rules - unknown distance only, 60# bows max, no electronic devices allowed, etc. No speed limits though.
What about the option to have a heavier arrow? Seems like a choice to me. But... I have no problem with people taking risks, I just chose not to with regard to archery equipment. Just my opinion is all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts