Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Garmin Rhino 530Hcx

Man, I went to wal~mart.com and got it for a fraction of what the other web sites wanted! $370 vs $499!!! I love it! Built in radio, if your buddy has one you can see him when we keys the mic, it's a awesome lil unit! HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONE!
Oh you have to type in the "Garmin Rhino 530hcx" in the search part of the web site or it won't show it, I dunno why, at least I can never find it without typing it in...

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I went to wal~mart.com and got it for a fraction of what the other web sites wanted! $370 vs $499!!! I love it! Built in radio, if your buddy has one you can see him when we keys the mic, it's a awesome lil unit! HIGHLY RECOMMEND ONE!
Oh you have to type in the "Garmin Rhino 530hcx" in the search part of the web site or it won't show it, I dunno why, at least I can never find it without typing it in...

Don't you need a FCC liscense for that radio/GPS? Im gonna go check it out for sure, it looks sweet!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
No, you don't need a FCC licence, when I'm way out in the woods I get 5 Watts and when I'm closer in to town I get 2 watts, I don't know how or why it changes, but even my 2 watts is enough to stay in contact with my hunting buddy/brother... It's not hard to get a licence I don't think, you just have to call a number in the instruction manual, but I just never have...

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
definitly get something that displays detailed maps and navigational info.I'm like you I have 2 older GPS' and they have no 3D maps.I used a friend of mine's GPS that had all the different kinds of maps and man what a difference!!
I just cant justify getting a new one with 2 that work perfectly fine:D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you hunt with buddies

I would highly recommend one of the Garmin Rinos - have your buddy get one too. It's great to have a radio and to see their location on the screen when you (or they) key the mic. I have the Rino 130 and 530. Both are great units.

·
Registered
688 Posts
GPSMap 60CSX

I researched extensively before buying and the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX kept coming up as the one most people were happy with.

I recommend paying $25 and buying a 2GB or 4 GB card and getting the 1:24000 Topo maps on CD then downloading your areas to the GPS.

You can find these units for around $300. I love mine. It does everything.
The screen is large and the reception is amazing. I can pick up the satellites in my basement!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Just for hunting, I like the Delorme GPS's so you can upload aerial photo's and topo's to it. The PN-30 or whatever is usually like 100 bucks, AND you get the software which usually sells for $100. Great deal and the product I would have bought anyway. Probably not the best for driving and directions in the city. Just according to what you want. Then again, you are driving on top of a color aerial when you're in the woods or backroads :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a Rino130 but only use it occasionaly anymore. I replaced it with the 60csx because the reception under a canopy is unbeatable.

The Rino comes out on open country hiking and road trips here and there but mostly just sits in the glovebox as a backup.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced it with the 60csx because the reception under a canopy is unbeatable.

I like this one alot ! :thumbs_up

The only thing im afraid of when it comes to these combo GPS/Radio ones is what happens IF my radio dies, i gotta sent it in to be fixed & then im out a radio & GPS.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Best choices are the Garmin 60 or the Delorme. The delorme have much better scale maps but the battery life isn't near as good as the garmin. I bought the garmin because I felt more comfortable with the unit and the battery life was important to me as my Garmin Rinos would suck down 3 batteries in a single day. The new 60 is much faster in map loading and battery life. But the delorme (a thicker unit) has great map scales so that is your trade off. If you are doing day hunts I would suggest the delorme but if you plan on spending days out in the woods and have to pack extra batteries, get the Garmin.

Steve

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best choices are the Garmin 60 or the Delorme. The delorme have much better scale maps but the battery life isn't near as good as the garmin. I bought the garmin because I felt more comfortable with the unit and the battery life was important to me as my Garmin Rinos would suck down 3 batteries in a single day. The new 60 is much faster in map loading and battery life. But the delorme (a thicker unit) has great map scales so that is your trade off. If you are doing day hunts I would suggest the delorme but if you plan on spending days out in the woods and have to pack extra batteries, get the Garmin.

Steve

Thank you very much for the info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't you need a FCC liscense for that radio/GPS? Im gonna go check it out for sure, it looks sweet!
Yes, you have to have an FCC license to use that radio. FRS radios operate on some of the same channels as that radio and don't require a license, but they are limited to .5 watt of power. Some dual purpose radios will automatically power down to .5 watts when talking on one of the FRS channels, so if you use that kind of radio you don't have to have a license if you stay off GMRS channels, but that radio is not a dual-purpose radio it always broadcasts at 5 watts and so requires a license.

You can read the rules and apply for the license here:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

It only costs like a hundred bucks or something like that, and the license lasts for 5 years. Also, everyone in your immediate family is covered under your license so you only need one and then everyone in your family can use a radio and you're legal.

Of course you can do like most people do and just ignore the license, but then when the FCC gives you a big fine you'll get no sympathy from those of us who buy licenses and follow the rules. Having said that, I don't know of the FCC giving anyone a fine anyway - it seems to be just a way to make money by collecting license fees.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The Garmin 60csx...Had mine for over 3 years and it's never lost signal in canopy...EVER...I hunt in the river swamp and have the unit on my side in a closed case..Still no lost signal..

Another hobby of mine is geocaching...Although not the latest and greatest,the 60csx is still considered one of the best amongst geocachers..

BTW,the Rino 530HCx is basically a 60csx with radio built in..My friend has the Rino and it's an awesome unit as well...I would suggest looking on Amazon..Currently they have the 60csx for 283.48 and the 530HCx for 375.00....

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you really want to get a good deal on a GPS, check websites like TigerDirect or EBay. Pretty much every brand of GPS went to a color display last year, so if you can deal with a regular back-lit grey scale display, you can pick up a great GPS with pretty much the same feature set, just without a color display for like 1/5th the price of the new color screen models.

Just be sure you don't turn the back lighting on the display off. I did that once, and then it was dark when I needed to use the GPS and since the back lighting was off -- I couldn't see the display in order to navigate the menus to turn it back on. I just leave the back lighting on now and carry extra batteries - lol

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awsome, thank you for all of this info. Does anyone know where i can go to see whats coming out for NEW hand held GPS units? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Awsome, thank you for all of this info. Does anyone know where i can go to see whats coming out for NEW hand held GPS units? Thank you in advance.
Groundspeak which is the forum for geocaching.com would be a good place to look..They always have the low down on what's new..You might have to register over there,but anything you want to know about a GPSr and more you will find in that forum..Look under the GPS and Technology section..

http://forums.groundspeak.com

·
Registered
176 Posts
I researched extensively before buying and the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX kept coming up as the one most people were happy with.

I recommend paying $25 and buying a 2GB or 4 GB card and getting the 1:24000 Topo maps on CD then downloading your areas to the GPS.

You can find these units for around $300. I love mine. It does everything.
The screen is large and the reception is amazing. I can pick up the satellites in my basement!

Good luck!
The Garmin 60csx (and 76csx) are the most purchased GPS units by the US Forest Service. They are as close as you can get to a professional grade Trimble without spending $4,500. I highly recomend the Garmin GPS 76csx. I have used it extensevly for both work, my graduate work, and recreation (I bought my own personal one). It aquires signal fast (dual internal attenaes and WAAS), does a pretty good job in the low spots and canyons, highly accurate, and can take a pretty good beating. PM me if you want to know more about it and GPS in general.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I like the Dakota, and you can get one for $200. Awesome screen detail. No need to spend a fortune.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts