Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That would be nice but not likely. I use a garmin gps and mapsource on my computer. Our local county tax assessors office has the property online showing the approximate lines. putting my cursor on the lines gives a gps co-ordinate I can then put on the map in mapsource and load into my gps. I add property corners as waypoints and property lines as routes between them. Thats as close as I have gotten to getting property lines on the gps.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Check out the onX hunt app for your phone, there's a free trial and it shows property lines pretty well for my area.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It would be much easier to show somebody when there trespassing instead of arguing. When your dealing with big propertys somebody is always trying to gain 100s of yds on you...........

·
Registered
599 Posts
Is there a GPS that will show you where The property lines are?

Thanks
You can go to your county assessors website and they will have GIS mapping page that shows pretty darn close to where the property lines are located for every parcel in your county. After that find the corner pins.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can go to your county assessors website and they will have GIS mapping page that shows pretty darn close to where the property lines are located for every parcel in your county. After that find the corner pins.
Thanks but I could do that on my phone or computer. What I am looking for is a gps that shows where you are and what property your on at that given time to show trespasser that he is trespassing...........

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks but I could do that on my phone or computer. What I am looking for is a gps that shows where you are and what property your on at that given time to show trespasser that he is trespassing...........
So you don't know where you are located at all times? Furthermore are you going to hand your GPS to the offending party and say look at this you are trespassing? Much better to avoid confrontation with weapons in hand...period. Plenty of history lessons for reference. Simply walk out find his car and call law enforcement and take photos of individual and vehicle. Have done it several times as I own property bordering public ground.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you don't know where you are located at all times? Furthermore are you going to hand your GPS to the offending party and say look at this you are trespassing? Much better to avoid confrontation with weapons in hand...period. Plenty of history lessons for reference. Simply walk out find his car and call law enforcement and take photos of individual and vehicle. Have done it several times as I own property bordering public ground.
Yo, We are miles into the woods. I do not know where your from but where I am from cops are not going into the woods for trespassing. I know who the guy is. He is not gonna shoot me but he seems to think he is still on his property and he is not.............

·
Registered
17,315 Posts
Thanks guys. It would be much easier to show somebody when there trespassing instead of arguing. When your dealing with big propertys somebody is always trying to gain 100s of yds on you...........
Not going to happen as it's too easy for there to be discrepencies in maps.

Unless both systems are using the same coordinate system (not a conversion) YOU the property owner could easily be wrong.

Don't go by Tax Assessors maps either...they're often off a little. I had an issue where the State of Texas lines were off by 600 yards, another case where the county line was off by more than the width of the river; another case (our house) where the county line was claimed to be in one location --the adjacent county claimed it to be in another location we're more than a mile away from that county. In one case some land we were leasing was being claimed by a county...which was correct. The problem was the actual county line wasn't where they claimed. It took my going into the assessors office and showing the actual location based on old deeds. The issue- differing coordinate systems.

In dealing with land location it's expected that you are educated...it's not up to the county to get it right, it's up to you to do that.

if you want to be right...get a proper survey done. Then make sure when you have that map digitized, you have the proper coordinate system in your phone-- again, not a conversion.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yo, We are miles into the woods. I do not know where your from but where I am from cops are not going into the woods for trespassing. I know who the guy is. He is not gonna shoot me but he seems to think he is still on his property and he is not.............

So again, a gps in his face will do what for the both of you? Both of you know where you are located and if law enforcement is shown photos of the individual on the parcel with a date and time on the photo along with the location of his vehicle they will, at a minimum, make a call to the offending party.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have Trimble GPS HUnt with the Card in my android. I use it for real estate appraisal work and have found the maps both, aerial, topo and property lines to be pretty accurate. At least within 20 feet on many occasions and Right on on a few others.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nope, not going to happen.

Unless both systems are using the same coordinate system (not a conversion) YOU the property owner could easily be wrong.

Don't go by Tax Assessors maps either...they're often off a little.

I had an issue where the State of Texas lines were off by 600 yards, another case where the county line was off by more than the width of the river; another case (our house) where the county line was claimed to be in one location --adjacent county claimed in another location (we're more than a mile away)

if you want to be right...get a proper survey done. Then make sure when you have that map digitized, you have the proper coordinate system in your phone-- again, not a conversion.
A proper survey would be nice but also cost alot of money......... We are dealing wih 100s of acres

·
Registered
250 Posts
I doubt something like that could ever be successful, for a small 100 acre property area yeah itd work, but nationwide, even statewide, they would have to update and make changes practically daily, putting in more work that what it would be worth, IMO

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more time there warren. I am not getting law enforcement involved as they will not get involved in a trespass case miles into the woods. We should fit you for a tin foil hat............

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So again, a gps in his face will do what for the both of you? Both of you know where you are located and if law enforcement is shown photos of the individual on the parcel with a date and time on the photo along with the location of his vehicle they will, at a minimum, make a call to the offending party.
One more time there warren. I am not getting law enforcement involved as they will not get involved in a trespass case miles into the woods. We should fit you for a tin foil hat............

·
Registered
17,315 Posts
if you can't afford a proper survy, then you can't afford the property...I'm not being ugly, just telling you want a judge would say.

It may be expensive to get an accurate survey but it's cheaper than going in front of a judge.

You could always buy some mapping sofware (Global Mapper isn't very expensive), go to the accessors office and get the .shp file (or .dxf) or what ever they're using, map it out yourself and see if it's off. At least you'll have an idea on what you're dealing with.

Hint...don't use a phone GPS- get an accurate GPS unit/software...put your feet on the ground- start with a benchmark (USGS tag) and go from there. You'd be shocked at how far off some fence lines are.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Go get him Jethro.....maybe you could do some ciphering and find the property lines all on your own or just knock the ****z out of him and hope he doesn't go postal. Really I could give a ****z.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you can't afford a proper survy, then you can't afford the property...I'm not being ugly, just telling you want a judge would say.

It may be expensive to get an accurate survey but it's cheaper than going in front of a judge.

You could always buy some mapping sofware (Global Mapper isn't very expensive), go to the accessors office and get the .shp file (or .dxf) or what ever they're using, map it out yourself and see if it's off. At least you'll have an idea on what you're dealing with.

Hint...don't use a phone GPS- get an accurate GPS unit/software...put your feet on the ground- start with a benchmark (USGS tag) and go from there. You'd be shocked at how far off some fence lines are.

I am not paying for another survey where it does not matter in this case anyway as they really do not matter. There is gonna be no judge, as I am not getting police involved. This is not a pissing match between 2 hunters. A guy came on my property driving through on some old logging roads on a couple of occasions. He is not even hunting on my property. I know him sorta. I was simply gonna bust his balls in a joking matter.

I simply asked if there was a device I could use to pull off this joke. I did not ask how to keep a trespasser off because believe I know how. thanks for all the advice anyway.............

1 - 20 of 42 Posts